AggieDave

They're driving me crazy with their use of there!

how bout when people say orientate......its orient....orientate is not a word....

AggieDave:
"www.NewEmployeeOrientations.com
Orientate
Find Shopping Deals at Yahoo! Low Prices On Orientate
shopping.yahoo.com "

Well I guess he told YOU!
:D:D:D

You have to go to the website to find out just exactly what the prices on "Orientate" really are.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

More like a week or 2 back:P

Heyy Chris... I'm going to be in Verbier for a week (from 13th Dec) - fancy a day skiing & drinking?

oh my, in my birthday week even!

its a bit of a bitch, takes somewhere between 4 to 5 hours to get there with public transport.. [:/]

but hell yea, why not!? :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I don't mind punctuation mistakes, minor spelling mistakes and even the occasional grammar mistake; however, this misuse of there, they're and their drives me just about batty. Am I the only one?

You are not the only one. But if I posted this link every time I saw such a mistake I would be unpopular in a hurry. http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/misused.htm

I don't mind punctuation mistakes, minor spelling mistakes and even the occasional grammar mistake; however, this misuse of there, they're and their drives me just about batty.

Am I the only one?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Haven't we been down this road a few times around here;)

yes, we've been their. nothing new to see they're so move you're asses over there...

edit to add: since most of these mistakes are made by native speakers (at least it seems to be so) ...whatever :P
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

WOW thats AMAZING I have always wanted low prices on orientate.....what would I do without Yahoo

I wonder if they have a too four the price of won

:ph34r:

The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

What drives me nuts is how the young 'uns abuse the word "like". Inserting it once or twice in every sentence as a two bit high school cheerleader whore would, is enough to drive people insane. :S:P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Seriously folks, why is this so hard?

I don't mind punctuation mistakes, minor spelling mistakes and even the occasional grammar mistake; however, this misuse of there, they're and their drives me just about batty.

Am I the only one?

I go back and edit my posts for grammar and punctuation mistakes...

There - refers to a direction or location
Their - possessive article
They're - contraction of 'they are' (3rd person singular... they ALL are is actually plural)

I figured this out by third grade...
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

What drives me nuts is how the young 'uns abuse the word "like". Inserting it once or twice in every sentence as a two bit high school cheerleader whore would, is enough to drive people insane. :S:P

My MOM actually uses the word like more frequently than I do. When I write, I hardly ever use it. In conversation, yeah, I do, but I try not to. But when did my MOM become so proficient at using that damn word?! Granted, she's not that old (41) and she's definitely a 'girly girl,' but the phrase "it's like, I dunno" can't POSSIBLY be used to describe every feeling you have. I think it's ok to use 'like' occasionally in every day conversation, but avoid it like the plague when you're actually going for credibility... like, whoa. ;)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Oh and by the by... one doesn't "write me", one "writes to me".

One could always write me a letter. That's O.K but simply "write me" is plain wrong.

Also, would please please use "either" and "neither" correctly too?

Either goes with "or"
Whilst
Neither goes with "nor"

And there's more....

Stop fucking up Implied and inferred!!

And breath...... [feeling better now]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Like, I don't understand why you like can't understand why we young people like say like so much. It's just like, something we do. Does that like, make sense? How people like speak, kinda like changes over time. I'm sure there were like some things that your generation said as like teens that your parents generation couldn't like stand. Maybe it's time to like get with the times.

:D:D:P

Like, I don't understand why you like can't understand why we young people like say like so much. It's just like, something we do. Does that like, make sense? How people like speak, kinda like changes over time. I'm sure there were like some things that your generation said as like teens that your parents generation couldn't like stand. Maybe it's time to like get with the times.

:D:D:P

I was going to say I just smashed my monitor with a sledgehammer, but then I'd be lying... :|:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Seriously folks, why is this so hard?

Here is a wiki link to help.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They%27re

Am I the only one?

Their, they're. Don't get upset. Their are some folks that just aren't they're, ya know. It's just a little over there heads. I'm sure their trying hard, but there not always going to be they're with the right there...or is that they're....or , uh...their.

Their
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Affect/Effect. Even educated people mess this one up.

Affect (verb)- to make a difference or have an effect on
Affect (noun)- feeling or emotion
Effect (verb)- to cause something to happen
Effect (noun)- a change or result of an action

I hope that clears up this mystery. Somebody sticky this post.