Cashmanimal

I'm pretty pissed off

I'm not sure I can follow my Anthropology teacher's logic here. I worked very hard in this class, and left the final knowing I wouldn't get anything lower than a B+. Our grades were based off three writing assignments, ten quizzes (totaling 100 points) and our final. Class participation was not a part of the grade, as 100+ people were in the class.

My grades were as follows:
Writing Assignment 1: 98%
Writing Assignment 2: 99%
Writing Assignment 3: 97%

Quizzes: 78/100

Final: 72% (I hardly studied for it because I was doing so well)

Grades came in today, and I got a C.... I wrote to my teacher that this seemed incorrect, and I get this response:

Dear Alex-
Your grade is correct.

Too bad my desired response of "Take a fucking leap" is the only reply that would change my grade. It would be lowered, of course.

So hey, Professor Weiss-

FUCK YOU
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I worked very hard in this class

I hardly studied for it because I was doing so well

Just pointing out some inconsistancies...

Our grading scale from high school was:
93-100+ = A
84-92 = B
75-83=C
65-74=D
On this scale - your grade is a C [:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

curve?:S

I'll giver HER a curve. A curved brick through her office window. (I'll figure out what that means later)

I hate that they have the right to type in any two digits they feel like into my transcript. I wish I had access to her paycheck... it would have two digits, too. After the decimal. That's how empty I feel.

I now wonder why I spent days of my life in the library writing those papers (All 12+ page research papers)
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

How often did you SHOW UP to class? A lot of professors in that size class use attendance as the participation grade. Did he or the syllabus mention that?

From our Green Sheet (AKA sylabus)

"Grades will be based of a collection of writing assignments which must be turned in online through turnitin.com as well as a physical copy to me prior to noon on the due date. There will be three writing assignments, totaling at least 10 pages each.

There will also be ten in-class quizzes, which will be based off reading assignments and lectures. Since attendance is not considered in your grade, these quizzes will be what is calculated into your class participation grade.

There will be a final on December 14th at 9:45, and the location will be announced later in the semester. The final will count as 20% of your final grade."

I worked very hard in this class

I hardly studied for it because I was doing so well

Just pointing out some inconsistancies...

I missed one of the quizzes, so that was -10 (one of the two days of class I missed), other than that, I averaged ~9/10 on the quizzes, all of which were random. I did considerably better than most on the quizzes [:/]

I literally spent DAYS in the library writing these research papers... I honestly did work very hard, I thought I earned the righ to study less for this final than the other 6 classes I was taking (2 other finals that day).

Also, what's the weight of the grading? Tests can drop a grade pretty fast when they are weighted more. Papers are like that too when they are less. Know what I mean? I had papers that were just like a quiz grade, so it didn't really matter how well I did on them. Then in my other classes, they were the most important part. What does it say about that in your sheet?

Bring it to the head of the department if you two cannot agree on something...that grade doesn't seem fair.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Worst curve I have ever seen.

Go over his head to the head of the department; your prof. is required to follow the guidelines as set forth in the syllabus. Unfair playing field if he changes the grading scale midterm.

Had to do the same thing with a cost accounting prof. who was a little full of himself. Also helps if other members of the class are with you.

How often did you SHOW UP to class? A lot of professors in that size class use attendance as the participation grade. Did he or the syllabus mention that?

Just buy the prof a tandem skydive ride..... we can discuss the grade on the way down !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

"The final will count as 20% of your final grade". Hate to break the news to you but if you knew your final was 20% of your final grade and you didn't get any better than a C (72%) on it you got the grade you deserved. If I knew the final was 20% of my grade I would have studied more.

Lets see...you blew off a quiz....you blew off the final...hmmm and you didnt get the grade that YOU think YOU deserve...maybe you ought to consider that you f'd up. Once you graduate and find a job you wont be able to 'blow off' when the boss expects you to perform your job. If you worked for me and you pulled that shit you'd be filing for unemployment. Class A performers perform. Consider yourself lucky you got at passing grade. Take some personal responsibility...the only person who screwed you was YOU...
Two words that get you in trouble, ALWAYS and NEVER

Lets see...you blew off a quiz....you blew off the final...hmmm and you didnt get the grade that YOU think YOU deserve...maybe you ought to consider that you f'd up. Once you graduate and find a job you wont be able to 'blow off' when the boss expects you to perform your job. If you worked for me and you pulled that shit you'd be filing for unemployment. Class A performers perform. Consider yourself lucky you got at passing grade. Take some personal responsibility...the only person who screwed you was YOU...

You forgot to sign it : the PROF.
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

if i did this correctly you should of had an 88%, and yes that is with the final at 20% of his grade. there are only five assignments so that 100 (points?) of the test is twenty percent of the 500 total that the 3 writing assignments (100 each so a total of 300) and the quizzes 100 and the final of 100 and that equals 500 so his grades added up,
98+99+97+78+72=444
divided by the most points possible,
and 444/500=0.888
multiplied by 100,
0.888x100=88.8
so you should get a B+ if that is the way your teacher did the scoring, and that is the usual way in which most teachers do their scoring

98+99+97+78+72=444
divided by the most points possible,
and 444/500=0.888
multiplied by 100,
0.888x100=88.8
so you should get a B+ if that is the way your teacher did the scoring, and that is the usual way in which most teachers do their scoring

This works only if each writing assignment was equal to 20% of his grade. But there isn't enough information (that I see) to make that determination. If, instead, each writing assignment was worth, say, 10% of his grade, the quizzes worth a total of 50%, and the final 20%, then his grade would be:

(0.1 x 98) + (0.1 x 99) + (0.1 x 97) + (0.5 x 78) + (0.2 x 72) = 82.8. Which still should be good enough for a B, unless there was some weird curve.

To get to 77% (which, IMO, is the highest one could get while justifiably getting a C in an uncurved class), each writing assignment would have to be worth 0.33% of his grade and the quizzes worth 79% of his grade (giving you (0.0033 x 98) + (0.0033 x 99) + (0.0033 x 97) + (0.79 x 78) + (0.2 x 72) = 77%).

This weighting seems highly unlikely. So either there are some factors missing (e.g. other things factored into the grade that we don't know about), there was some really funky curve, or the professor messed up the calculation.

Maybe there's a reason she teaches anthropology as opposed to a hard science . . . ;)