koppel

Whats my Rating?

Just wondering if anyone knows the exchange rate of ratings APF to USPA.

I have and APF rating Packer A allowing me to pack reserves but not to do rigging. What is the equivilant in USPA terms and could someone explain the privilages of the various USPA Rigger Ratings.

Thanks
Koppel
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

What is the equivilant in USPA terms and could someone explain the privilages of the various USPA Rigger Ratings.

The FAA controls/issues rigger's ratings in the U.S.

Senior Rigger = re-pack reserves and minor repairs
Master Rigger = re-pack reserves and major repairs.

You have to be able to rig and pack reserves to be a Senior Rigger in thge U.S.

Derek

What's your rating, hmmm I'll give you a rating of 2:D:D:D

Looking forward to catching up with you at Picton Koppel, bring the sexy woman with you, my neck could do with some work ;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Senior Rigger = re-pack reserves and minor repairs
Master Rigger = re-pack reserves and major repairs.

I've always found this strange.... the modifier "Senior" added to the term "Rigger" should indicate that somewhere there is a "Junior" or just plain "Rigger".

Is this a hold over from the past, were there more classifications of Riggers that have been scrapped?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

As said so elegantly above. Your APF rating is not recognized in the US. All of the requirements to gain a senior rigger rating would apply, including packing 20 certified parachutes under the supervision of an appropriately certificated U.S. rigger and getting their recommendation letter, doing the FAA paper work for permission to take the test, taking an written, oral, and practical test which does include rigging.

The test guide and written question pool are available on line somewhere at faa.gov. Most of the website was down when I looked to see where they are.

In other words the only thing you can do in the U.S. is pack your own main. Not your reserve, not anybody elese's reserve and not even somebody elses main without supervision.:P
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I've always found this strange.... the modifier "Senior" added to the term "Rigger" should indicate that somewhere there is a "Junior" or just plain "Rigger".

Is this a hold over from the past, were there more classifications of Riggers that have been scrapped?

IIRC, "rigger" was someone certified to pack mains. When the law changed to where you could pack your own main, the rating became obselete.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

In other words the only thing you can do in the U.S. is pack your own main. Not your reserve, not anybody elese's reserve and not even somebody elses main without supervision.

So, as a foreign reserve packer, you can't packforeign kit under your rating if you pack it in the US??

Eg: I'm taking a couple of trips to the US next year...I pack my own reserve, and most of my friends' in the UK. This is legal if taken to the US. If my friends or I have mals in the States, I can't repack the kits????
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

Does that also hold for foreign licenses? For example, if I have a BPA "C" license by the time I eventually get home, is there some direct equivalent that I can slot into when I join the APF? Or is there some degree of recertification involved?

I had a quick look at the APF Op Regs, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted. This is almost certainly pilot error :P
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Cool. I should've clarified; "home" is Australia. Eventually. It's good to know I can just send my logbook off to the APF and give them money and licensing happens.

(cue music, Australian Girls Choir, QANTAS ads)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Cool. I should've clarified; "home" is Australia. Eventually. It's good to know I can just send my logbook off to the APF and give them money and licensing happens.

(cue music, Australian Girls Choir, QANTAS ads)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

APF will probably still require you to write the exam, similar to the way CSPA treats foreigners wanting CSPA ratings, etc..

The APF have a procedure for converting foreign ratings to Australian equivalents, allowing at least some simplification in the process of getting your ratings recognized here.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Probably similar to the way CSPA's Technical Committee handlesw foreign riggers wanting to earn CSPA Rigger ratings.
For example, I hold FAA Senior and Master Rigger ratings. When I wanted to earn a CSPA Rigger B rating (equivalent to FAA Master Rigger) the committee only required me to provide samples from the last page of the Rigger B Solo Program, not the entire list of samples.

In other words the only thing you can do in the U.S. is pack your own main. Not your reserve, not anybody else's reserve and not even somebody elses main without supervision.

So, as a foreign reserve packer, you can't packforeign kit under your rating if you pack it in the US??

Eg: I'm taking a couple of trips to the US next year...I pack my own reserve, and most of my friends' in the UK. This is legal if taken to the US. If my friends or I have mals in the States, I can't repack the kits????

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you want to adhere to the letter of the law, foreign-made, non-TSOed gear can only be repacked by a foreign rigger. This was the motivation behind the FAA issuing "foreign gear waivers" to a few of the larger DZs in Florida and Arizona.
By the same token, FAA Riggers are only allowed to pack, seal and sign TSOed reserves.
However, the whole concept of non-TSOed gear is gradually fading after Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and most of the European Economic Community have adopted photo-copied versions of FAA TSOs.
This is really going to get the nit-pickers shorts in a knot when they try to insist that foreign-made, TSOed gear can only be repacked by FAA Riggers.
Let the flaming begin!
Hee!
Hee!
Reaching for another marshmellow to roast ...
Hee!
Hee!

Rob Warner
CSPA Rigger A
CSPA Rigger Instructor
FAA Senior and Master Rigger

This is really going to get the nit-pickers shorts in a knot when they try to insist that foreign-made, TSOed gear can only be repacked by FAA Riggers.

Are you implying that there is a genuine risk that if I showed up at a US DZ, they might insist that I have my reserve repacked? If so, that is just plain ridiculous. I have never had trouble in France and Switzerland. Likewise Danish regulations just require a foreign rigger to sign off his work on the (Danish) papers of the equipment.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Read this whole thread.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1800155#1800155

I suggested that someone would be ok but many others - most smarter and/or more experienced than me - believe that the only safe way is to get your reserve repacked when you get there.

See this post in particular:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1800757#1800757
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

There's a licence card that you fill out and get signed by the CI of the dropzone. A CI (Chief Instructor) is similar to the US DZO. That card gets sent to the APF; you don't need to send your logbook.

This only applies for regular A-E licences; I can't speak for display licences or rigging licences etc.