srock

Emergency Contact

I read the article on choosing the right emergency contact and it is dead on, no pun intended. This can be a dangerous sport. As an avid sport bike rider for the past ten years my emergency contacts have been called on a couple times and as I progress in this sport there is the possibility of more.

However, I have eliminated the need for an emergency contact right away. I have created an emergency identification program that can help us all out in the event of an accident much quicker than trying to hunt down that contact.

Take a look at the website and choose for yourself but I bet you will agree that this system will help us all out.

WWW.SROCK.BIZ

ps........ I am not some company trying to sneak on here.... I work at Skyventure Orlando and many people on this forum can vouch for me and the products. This is a highly professional system, not something that I whipped together so rest assured that it is the real thing.

Edited by slotperfect to make the link clicky! :)

Ironically enough that "ICE" entry in your phone works like a champ. So does labeling important persons like you parents and wife/husband as "dad," "mom," "wife," "husband" and "EMERGENCY" and such!

Trust me, in case of a serious accident a cellphone is checked for numbers. Also important is a laminated card in your wallet right next to your DL that has emergency information printed on it in case your cellphone grenades on "landing."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Walking around the swap meet couple weeks ago, I saw a really good idea, that could easily be set up for all types of emergency contacts. They guy took those scan disks usb connection, and put a program on it, that displayed childs name, picture, emergency contact information, age, height, etc. The parent would keep it on their keychain, and if something happened to the child, such as them being abducted, you would give the scandisk to the police, and all the information they needed, was right there. ready to go, with all the information needed to make the amber alert go faster.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

This one is fine - it's no different than a manufacturer announcing a new canopy here in the forums. There is no pricing or information on how to order in the post, just the reason for its creation and a link to find more information. This one is within the forum rules.
Arrive Safely

John

There are some valid point here that have not been overlooked so here is some food for thought:

Look at all your activities, not just skydiving.

ICE is a great idea but here are some drawbacks:
-Phones Break! most do not survive a good motorcycle accident
-It is hard to believe but these days some people do not have cell phones (i have cave diving buddies that do not)
-What if your contacts cannot be reached?
-What if your contacts do not know or cannot remember your important information such as blood type and any allergies?
-Also, how many of you travel around a lot. That makes it even more difficult to get in touch with your contact especially if you are out of the country. This system allows you to be anywhere in the world and gain access.

The Card in the wallet: Again, a good idea for everyday use but:
-I do not carry my wallet on me when I am kayaking, white water rafting, mountain biking, etc. It can be found but it is usually quite far from me.

-The usb device: it is a great idea but for obvious reasons would not work in many of the above applications. Actually the brother of the doctor who patented that a couple years ago is the person who created the backend of this system.

ICE is a great idea but here are some drawbacks...

This thread has given me a couple of quick ideas:
1) How about a laminated card in a jumpsuit pocket giving emergency contact info, and relevant emergency treatment info, such as allergies, etc?
2) Instead of having nicknames embroidered on rig mud flaps, how about our blood type?

Everyone should ALWAYS put an accurate contact on boogie waivers, too.
Trust me when I tell you it sucks to pull the waiver and see "a doctor" as the contact and "911" as the phone number. :(>:(:|

Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

1) How about a laminated card in a jumpsuit pocket giving emergency contact info, and relevant emergency treatment info, such as allergies, etc?
2) Instead of having nicknames embroidered on rig mud flaps, how about our blood type?

My sister use to work in the Riverside ER. She was there when skydivers from the Perris crash where brought in. I called her to check on some of my buddies and she was very upset that she didn't know who was who becase of the lack of ID. I asked her if putting some kind of ID in the jumpsuit pocket would be helpful, and she said "no". The reason being is because they (ER staff) are too busy cutting off the jumpsuit looking for injuries and not thinking about checking pockets. Now if it were just one jumper heading into the ER, I think the ID in the pocket would work. But my sister said that there was a pile of jumpsuits in the ER with that many jumpers being brought in at the same time. Her idea was for jumpers to wear a necklace ID tag. I told her there was no way I was wearing something that could get caught.

I just make sure all my information on the waiver is correct. I list a number of people who can be contacted, just in case the first ones aren't home. I also have ICE in my cell phone.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I come from a motorcycle background. I am a noob in the skydiving world but some things run the same. I have a lot of friends who work in the er and they all will tell you the same with any victim whether motorcycle accident, car accident, skydiving, etc they try to get as much information as possible on the victim. I consulted with them and many first responders and that is how this came about. All first responders are trained to look for something like this whether it be the sticker, bracelet, necklace, or card in the wallet.

Also, helmets are almost always left on until you get to the er, leaving plenty of time for the first responder to call in the id. In scuba/cave diving it is law that the gear must come with the accident victim so the id is going to be with them the entire time.

All we are trying to do is make it a little easier to do the things we love to do without worrying so much. We cant force you to use our service but hopefully we can help educate you to help yourself or your loved ones.

I keep my extra insurance card in the reserve flap along with my reserve packing card. Reason being when I got hurt on a jump and had to go to the hospital, I couldnt find my insurance card anywhere and it was a total pain in the butt.

as has been previously posted...due to people listing "911" and "General Swartzkopf" or "Police" as their contact.

Manifest: "No, you need to really put your correct emergency contact information. No proper emergency contact information; no jump."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

as has been previously posted...due to people listing "911" and "General Swartzkopf" or "Police" as their contact.

Manifest: "No, you need to really put your correct emergency contact information. No proper emergency contact information; no jump."

You mean you cant put Arnold Schwarzenegger?? :P

I got some dog tags made off a guy from ebay, I think they were 10 bucks or so.

I use dog tags as well. The one I currently have has my my info on it but I have been thinking about getting an extra plate with emergency contact info.

It's not only about skydiving; I always have my dog tags on me anyway so it should be a bit easier for EMTs to ID my body if I get hit by a tram or something :S

here is another item that is pretty cheap and can be worn in most activitys.. yes it can be lost easily in an accident, just like everything else it has drawbacks.
As an EMT we do a quick search for ID's, but it's not something we waste time with if there is no one around who knows the person and I have only run into this problem a few times in all my years of ems.
Typically someone is with you who knows you, or you will have some sort of ID on you.
anyway here is the product, I am sorry that I am clicky challgend and can't make it so.
http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

LEOs are typically the ones making contact with the family after a major accident or injury. EMS are the ones cutting things off the body and putting it in a bag to give to ER staff to hold for you.

Basically I can tell you that I've dug through wallets for ID and info and gone through cellphones looking for contacts that are listed as "mom, dad, son, wife, ICE, etc." I've never had the luxury of being able to check an ID tag, bracelet or dog tags. In fact there's little that I've done besides basic life saving and being comforting while waiting for EMS to arrive.

So put a card in your wallet right behind your ID or DL and put something obvious in your cellphone.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>Manifest: "No, you need to really put your correct emergency contact
>information. No proper emergency contact information; no jump."

If they are anything like people here, they then put down "Jon Stewart" and jump. (Or keep trying until manifest doesn't recognize the actor's name.)