Andy9o8

Are you a germophobe?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29166897/

Saw this article on MSNBC.com, and it got me thinking.

Here are some of the things I do:

- I always keep a pen in my shirt pocket, and whenever I make a purchase with my debit card, and the store clerk hands me her pen to sign the slip, I pull out my own pen to sign it.
- In public restrooms, I'll use a paper towel to open the door.
- When I shake hands with people, if I can get the chance, I'll unobtrusively sneak away for a moment to wash or rub sanitizer on my hands. I keep a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer at my desk. Now you know why.
- When I use the ATM or my card to pay at the gas pump, I push the buttons with my knuckle.
- I keep one of those pen-size spray dispensers of hand sanitizer in my car. As soon as I get back in the car after pumping my own gas ... well, you know.
- I keep hand sanitizer at the computer desk we share at home. Sometimes (not always) when I sit down to use it, I spread some on the mouse and keyboard.
- I sometimes use sanitizer on our TV remotes. Sometimes do that with our home phone receivers, too.
- I never, ever, ever touch the magazines in a doctor's waiting room.

One last thing: We're a family of four. I get colds a hell of a lot less than the other three. :P

So what do you do? (Or do you think I'm nuts?)

I use my own pen a lot.

I don't use a paper towel on the bathroom door, but I do grab the handle by the bottom curve whenever possible (watch other people open the door, few grab it down near the bottom)

Other than washing my hands on a regular basis, that's about it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

No, I don't do any of those things; what you described is a type of paranoia in my honest opinion..

And yes, I think you're nuts (I mean that in the nicest way possible.)

Edited to add: This should be a poll
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

well being in the medical field for 25 + years I think they all sound like good common sense infection control to me. but I would be wondering what effect the hand sanitizer might have on the keyboard, mouse, and remote
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Saw this article on MSNBC.com, and it got me thinking.

Here are some of the things I do:

- I always keep a pen in my shirt pocket, and whenever I make a purchase with my debit card, and the store clerk hands me her pen to sign the slip, I pull out my own pen to sign it.

I do the same thing, but I do that because I love my pen.

- In public restrooms, I'll use a paper towel to open the door.

Thats common sense, many people do not wash their hands. There is a beautyful joke about a woman informing her restaurant server about the lack of soap and towels in the bathroom in a rather sexy way!
***- When I shake hands with people, if I can get the chance, I'll unobtrusively sneak away for a moment to wash or rub sanitizer on my hands. I keep a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer at my desk. Now you know why.

As long as you do it unobtrusively, thats fine. Otherwise it's rude.

- When I use the ATM or my card to pay at the gas pump, I push the buttons with my knuckle.

Poor knuckle!

- I keep one of those pen-size spray dispensers of hand sanitizer in my car. As soon as I get back in the car after pumping my own gas ... well, you know.

Use a papertowel or wear golves. Then your hands won't stink after Grandma tried to squeeze 24 gallons into a 23 gallon tank :)

- I keep hand sanitizer at the computer desk we share at home. Sometimes (not always) when I sit down to use it, I spread some on the mouse and keyboard.

Family germs are appreciated. You put sanitizer on my mouse and you will have that same mouse on a toasted bun the next morning!

- I sometimes use sanitizer on our TV remotes. Sometimes do that with our home phone receivers, too.

Uuuuumppfff!

- I never, ever, ever touch the magazines in a doctor's waiting room.

No wonder everyone is sick. You have to be exposed to germs to get immune against them. I grew up playing with dirt. Still alive.

So what do you do? (Or do you think I'm nuts?)

I overheard my cleanophobic aunt talk to my mom one day. She proudly announced that her house was so squeaky clean that you could eat from the floors.
My mom looked like she was shocked and asked:
"Do you want me to give you a few hundred dollars to go buy a table?"

Cheers,

No wonder everyone is sick. You have to be exposed to germs to get immune against them. I grew up playing with dirt. Still alive.

This, this, a thousand times THIS!

overuse of antibiotics, hyper-cleanliness, and all that craziness leads to the superbugs that are immune to anything we throw at them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/health/27brod.html?em

i've never done any of the things you listed. wanna know another secret? I *gasp* actually SIT on the toilet seat in public restrooms (if it looks clean and dry, of course) and i don't even use the paper cover thingies.

i don't think i own a bottle of hand sanitizer...maybe for the garage?

i'm rarely sick.

I attribute all this more to my personal laziness than any lack of fear of germs. Doing all that silly stuff takes *work*!:ph34r:
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I *gasp* actually SIT on the toilet seat in public restrooms (if it looks clean and dry, of course) and i don't even use the paper cover thingies.

Yeah, but you're a bikerbabe.:P:)
I use the paper towel on the bathroom door, and I wash my hands before I eat, but that's about it. I hate the over use of antibiotics and sanitizers. Save 'em for when you really need them.

if you don't scratch your ass and THEN pick your teeth. the amount of microbes on your ass is a moot point. I'm just saying washing your hands once in a while is a good habit to get into. but I'm right there with you on the over rx of antibiotics and people need to have a baseline immunity thing.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I attribute all this more to my personal laziness than any lack of fear of germs. Doing all that silly stuff takes *work*!

Work in a hospital, with alot of patients who bring in infections with them, and you'll change your tune. I've seen (and experienced) WAY too much this past year to be lazy about it. :^(

There are Super Bugs out there already, and if you're not careful they'll find a way to get ahold of even a healthy person.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I know Lori, the trouble is, one of the big CAUSES of the superbugs is overuse and overperscription of antibiotics and antimicrobial *stuff*.

Not to mention people never letting their kids get dirty.

I'm not saying i don't wash my hands, of course i do. I just don't go to paranoid lengths to avoid all contact with germs. If something *looks* dirty, i don't touch it.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I know Lori, the trouble is, one of the big CAUSES of the superbugs is overuse and overperscription of antibiotics and antimicrobial *stuff*.

I'm not saying i don't wash my hands, of course i do. I just don't go to paranoid lengths to avoid all contact with germs. If something *looks* dirty, i don't touch it.

We know the causes of the Super Bug's heritage. They're here, whether we like it or not. Now we have to defend even healthy people against them. :^( You should see all the masks, gowns, and gloves that have to be worn where I work now. Over 50% of the patients admitted to our hospital -already have- one form of Super Bug diagnosis when they roll in the door. So sad. It wasn't like that just a couple of years ago.

At least we attack the culprit and send them home 'clean' when they leave. But will they -ever- be really 'cured'? :^(

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I attribute all this more to my personal laziness than any lack of fear of germs. Doing all that silly stuff takes *work*!

Work in a hospital, with alot of patients who bring in infections with them, and you'll change your tune. I've seen (and experienced) WAY too much this past year to be lazy about it. :^(

There are Super Bugs out there already, and if you're not careful they'll find a way to get ahold of even a healthy person.

ltdiver

Done. Ever since seeing how and by whom hospitals are cleaned I feel like dying when having to even visit someone in them. The sanitation issues in hospitals are insane. Walk in with a broken arm, leave with a diagnose you did not want to have, and a rare virus to boot.

I like bikerbabes attitude. Recently watched a woman wipe her childrens hands with disinfecting wipes after playing on a playground. If I ever find the right woman to have kids with, this will be a huuuuuuge reason for some serious arguments, or vice versa...:S

100% agree.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

There are Super Bugs out there already, and if you're not careful they'll find a way to get ahold of even a healthy person. ltdiver

Yes! An enabler! :P

BTW, we have a good friend who went into a rehab facility for an orthopedic problem; wound up contracting a MRSA infection while in there which, despite very aggressive treatment, wound up killing her at age 53.

And I repeat: of the 4 of us at home, I really do get colds a lot less than the other 3. I also get them a lot less than I myself used to. I attribute that to sensible prevention.

And I repeat: of the 4 of us at home, I really do get colds a lot less than the other 3. I also get them a lot less than I myself used to. I attribute that to sensible prevention.

Most people get fewer colds as they age. There are several hundred variants of the rhinovirus that causes the common cold. Once you get one, you can't get it again, but each variant is different enough to keep the immunity from transferring - one of the reasons there isn't a vaccine for the cold. If you have had enough colds in your life, you won't get them very often.

One man's sensible prevention is another's paranoid delusions.

For a parent to insist on handwashing after being on playground equipment isn't too far out of line IMO. Refusing to let them play on it because of "germs" is.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

:|
What do you mean by that? Who's putting you up to this?

I'll make the (probably wrong) assumption that you are serious. ;)

Nobody. I'm just spouting off here. Nothing better to do for another half hour (waiting for load to be ready), so I'm just PWing.:)
I don't think you are being anything other than a little overcautious. Others opinions may differ. (like maybe your family:D:D)

BTW, what difference does it make if you use a fingertip or a knuckle to push the buttons?? You'll get the germs on your hands, just in a different spot.

:|
What do you mean by that? Who's putting you up to this?

Nobody.

You're lying!!! Why are you doing this to me??

BTW, what difference does it make if you use a fingertip or a knuckle to push the buttons?? You'll get the germs on your hands, just in a different spot.

Because cold viruses tend to be spread hand-to-surface-to-hand. The buttons on an ATM or the gas pump get touched by one person's fingertips after another, in quick succession. I handle things in my environment with my fingertips a lot more often than I do with my knuckles. So I figure, odds are I might be a bit less likely to pass something from an ATM button to myself if I push the buttons with my knuckle instead of my fingertip.

>> - I never, ever, ever touch the magazines in a doctor's waiting room.

I've been around for 50 years. I think I've had my exposure, got my immunities. Now, if I go to a doctor's office, I just don't want to get the illness of the last patient who handled that magazine 10 minutes ago.