banesanura

Feeding your skydiving addiction.

I'm curious to see what those of you did to keep your account in the green to jump.

I'm even considering waitressing during the day and doing sessions at night...

Not sure if I want to say in Atlanta for long term...because I planned on going back to the university to finish my studies...

What are some of the odd jobs that kept you in the air?
Best Girl Scout Ever.

When I started skydiving, I picked up a second job doing similar to my main job CAD Programming for CNC turrets. I would go to my normal job 8-4:30Pm then go directly to the other job. Some weeks I would log 80 plus hours in during the week other weeks it would be 50 or so hours. I did that for 3 years to pay for skydiving and to build enough time in the sport to be a tandem instructor.

The CAD work at my second job was rather interesting it was drawing and programming for Video surveillance periscopes for surveillance vans used by the government.B|

You could talk to the DZO about maybe packing to earn extra money to jump as packers can make really good money at a busy DZ

Kirk
He's dead Jim

The second year I started jumping (back in 97) I had taken the BIC (Basic Instructor class), earned my static line jump master rating and then my static line instructor rating. The rating system has since changed but I wanted to make my extra money at the drop zone. How about manifest or doing something skydiving related to earn money while you are there?

Even though you may not be great at packing now work with someone who is and learn from them. It won't take very long at all. Packing is a great way to make money (and it is a great workout too!)
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

While I was in school I sold everything I possibly could and cut back on my midweek partying.

End of the semester was GREAT! selling all my books was like 25 jumps. ...then I had to buy em for next semester after i bought a block :(

but yeah, dig through everything you have- ebay and craigslist saved me, don't eat out, eat lots of ramen, and get a part time job, i waited tables (free food as well).

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Hmm... let's see... I picked up 3 jobs to keep skydiving... meanwhile I went to school full time and did research on the side so I could graduate with distinction... The three jobs were working at Jersey Mikes (great job bc I got to eat at least a few times a week!), I was a TA for some chemistry courses... paid well, but more work than its worth... I also did anything anyone would let me do at the dz... pack and eventually I coached.
Ultimately I stayed in school and still got some jumps in... my grades suffered a bit... but ultimately I still got a 3.9 GPA for my stay. Since I graduated with some research experience, I was able to get a very well paying job... Now, not only am I working a 40-50 hr job, but I am staying in the GREEN as well as getting more jumps in...
Seriously stay in school.. in the long run you will be much happier!

I'd love to marry a plastic surgeon.

Then I'd never get old. :)

I've been offered to marry illegals for like 30k but I just can't do that.

But who knows- with this economy it just might have to do.

I'm legal, you could marry me! And I wouldn't charge you anywhere NEAR $30k.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

I've thought about it, but the thing is, I'm not a great packer- I've been packing my rental canopy every jump.

Practice makes perfect, but right now... I don't think I can charge anyone for my kind of packjobs.

Most people you will be packing for dont know what a packjob is supposed to look like anyway! I know for me there is no way i could jump if I didnt work at the dropzone.

Plus if the DZO knows your gonna be their slave for awhile, they might hook you up and allow you to go negative on your account for awhile, as long as you keep showing up to work and putting the whole check on account. Its cheaper to throw you out of the plane than it is to pay you. Just keep your weekday job for other expenses.
BASE 1384

When I was in college I spent a while working two jobs to support my jumping. I was running on about 20 hours of sleep a week. Then I'd go to the DZ and pack student gear.

There's nothing like coming out of Denny's at 7am saturday morning after washing dishes all night, getting a shower then hitch-hiking to the DZ. I'm glad I finished school though
I got nuthin

the canadian military pays me pretty good being a tech and all, but i also got into packing tandems and student rigs, helps a bit
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10