NewGuy2005

Looking at a used Dolphin

Does Dolphin make a good container?

Define good.

Altico (the manufacturer of the Dolphin) markets the Dolphin as an 'affordable' alternative... it's a pretty simple design, a bit on the ugly side, and was orginally available in your choice of colors, as long as your choice was black! Newer models have color, but only on a select few of the panels.

The older Dolphins are not very freefly friendly... depending on the age, they came with short riser covers that snapped closed, short riser covers that tuck tabbed closed, and long over the shoulder riser covers that velcro closed. I think all the designs prior to the current one have both the main and reserve flap closed with velcro.

So they're not especially popular, because they're not very FF friendly... they're perfectly safe as a belly fly rig, but these days, who does just belly flying? They do retrofit the older models to current specs (over the shoulder tuck tab riser covers and tuck tab main and reserve flaps), but it's major surgery, and pretty expensive... but then again, you can buy a nice used one for next to nothing, have the work done, and possibly still have much less money in it than a comparable Javelin or Mirage...

Do a search for 'Dolphin' in this forum, there's been lots of discussion regarding them in the past...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Do you have 5 jumps currently?

Now may not be the time to purchase a rig. Give it a few more jumps to see how your progression goes. This will help you determine WHAT you need. Then go out and seek it.

If you need a gear consultation, feel free to PM me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I think all the above, rightly or wrongly, are perceived by some people as just "budget" versions of the first three designs.

(Obviously I don't agree - I just bought an Icon because my instructor was convinced it was the best rig for me, as well as the price point - but I've heard that line from a few people owning one of the Trinity.)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Does Dolphin make a good container?

The older Dolphins are not very freefly friendly... depending on the age, they came with short riser covers that snapped closed, short riser covers that tuck tabbed closed, and long over the shoulder riser covers that velcro closed. I think all the designs prior to the current one have both the main and reserve flap closed with velcro.

but then again, you can buy a nice used one for next to nothing, have the work done, and possibly still have much less money in it than a comparable Javelin or Mirage...
reply]

I love my dolphin. I had a non freefly friendly container, which they modified for me for about $250. They had my container less than a week, and it was already back in my hands. I think as a first container it's a great one, and honestly, my next rig will probably be a dolphin as well! :)
CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

If the container is recent enough or you're willing to fork out the cash for the riser tuck tab mod($250), there's not a damn thing wrong with them. Mike Gruwell, one of the finest riggers I've ever seen, the Master Rigger that runs the Chutingstar Rigging Loft wrote a very thorough review on the Dolphin in the gear section. I owned one for my first 100 or so jumps and it was a great rig. You will want to upgrade later, but these rigs are fine while you're just getting started or to hang on to for CReW or something later.

If the container is recent enough or you're willing to fork out the cash for the riser tuck tab mod($250), there's not a damn thing wrong with them. Mike Gruwell, one of the finest riggers I've ever seen, the Master Rigger that runs the Chutingstar Rigging Loft wrote a very thorough review on the Dolphin in the gear section. I owned one for my first 100 or so jumps and it was a great rig. You will want to upgrade later, but these rigs are fine while you're just getting started or to hang on to for CReW or something later.

I agree. My first rig was a Dolphin and it was just fine. It had some mods so that it could be used for free flying. I mostly used it for RW anyway. It was cheap to buy and did the job. If you don't want to spend the money and are not big on particular colors, the Dolphin is a very good rig.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I hadn't heard of this container until I read this thread. A quick rummage through the classifieds found complete systems with CYPRES for <$1,800 and container/reserves for <$700. Seems like a pretty remarkable deal for a rookie jumper in *ahem* college.

It makes me wonder about other containers though. Not that I'm doubting their value, but what is it that makes a new Dolphin less than $1,000 and a new [insert other brand here] nearly double that? ALTICO's site isn't working right now, so I can't see what options they offer to compare. Is it merely the lack of freefly options? Will a Dolphin wear out when another container won't? Is it a comfort issue?

[basically, what are the differences?]
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I hadn't heard of this container until I read this thread. A quick rummage through the classifieds found complete systems with CYPRES for <$1,800 and container/reserves for <$700. Seems like a pretty remarkable deal for a rookie jumper in *ahem* college.

It makes me wonder about other containers though. Not that I'm doubting their value, but what is it that makes a new Dolphin less than $1,000 and a new [insert other brand here] nearly double that? ALTICO's site isn't working right now, so I can't see what options they offer to compare. Is it merely the lack of freefly options? Will a Dolphin wear out when another container won't? Is it a comfort issue?

[basically, what are the differences?]

You don't get the extra bells and whistles for one (stainless, articulated, etc). And they only come in black (though the middle can now be bought in additional colors). By keeping the customization to a minimum, they can produce them more cheaply. I am sure that someone else could expand on that (I think the sizing is also less custom...someone correct me if I am wrong).

That is not to say they are CHEAP (as in quality) rigs. For what they are (a no frills rig), they are great.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

It makes me wonder about other containers though. Not that I'm doubting their value, but what is it that makes a new Dolphin less than $1,000 and a new [insert other brand here] nearly double that?

Wings starts at right about 1000. Buying new, I don't know why one would take the dolphin over it.

I like my Dolphin and my hubby likes his too! I actually like the black container with just the Dolphin in color. It goes with everything! We got 2 lightly used rigs for the price of a brand new one. Now we can buy more lift tickets. :D

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

Without a doubt the Dolphin is a good container.

It's rock solid and designed very well.

I've owned two and have only praise for them.

Telephone Mike Fury and just listen to him, you'll LEARN a lot. Remember when lines were being snagged by the main's closing loop grommet? Mike jumped ahead of the group and designed the fix.

You need to talk with the experienced riggers and jumpers and then make up your mind using an educated decision.

And here's food for thought.....I have many jumps at the 250 mph range doing the heads down thing.

I bet that I own the fastest Dolphin on the planet @ 320mph.....

Don't go away mad....just go away!

Telephone Mike Fury

IMHO, that's the best part of the Dolphin, the man behind it! I had a Dolphin 2000 for a while, and enjoyed jumping it, and always felt like it was a good safe rig for the money (and the kind of flying I did)... but Mike Fury rocks! Every time I've had a question regarding his products, he was quick to respond, and a pleasure to deal with! He really sets a high standard for customer service!

That said, I've also been really pleased with the service I've received from Ankie at Sunrise Rigging, regarding a used Wings container I bought!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."