happythoughts

gear checks

I'm going to re-open this can of worms. Hate me later.

I just watched a video. It looks really like a chest strap comes undone. It could be that the shirt covers it, but it doesn't look like it. The video ends just after it disappears.

1- If you are jumping with someone, give them a visual check. Chest strap routing, handles...
2- With their permission, pin check.

Do not touch someone elses gear without their permission. If there is a problem, lean over and
quietly say something.

That's all. Watch out for each other.

What he said:)
I caught 3 misrouted chest streps in one day ...Told the CI and he dealt with it and instructors.

Dont route your goggles on youer chest strap:|

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I caught 3 misrouted chest streps in one day ...Told the CI and he dealt with it and instructors.

Wow, you must have been jumping at a real shit DZ..
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Wow, you must have been jumping at a real shit DZ..

You'd think that, but no it's not. This DZ is pretty solid in it's safety, i have not since caught any misroutes nor had I previous to that day (and yes i DO check), but on this particular day I was FLOORED by how many i caught.

Granted they were all in the emplaning area not on the plane, and these jumpers may have self corrected if I had not spotted it, but still 3 in one day was staggering
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm astounded at the number of unhooked chest straps I hear of. I do check the folks around me pretty regularly, and haven't ever seen one.

A couple of other things, but not chest straps. Other things to check for include helmets not fastened after the helmet's on, cutaway pud folded under the harness, main flap open, and the ever-popular undone riser covers at the shoulders.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Last weekend I caught a tandem cypres not being on while the plane was taxiing (luckily) [:/] That was at least his 2nd jump that day with that rig.

Caught a A-license type jumper last season with his cutaway pad hanging out when he was getting into the plane. Neither he nor his jump buddy had noticed, it was hanging out a few inches...

Other tandem stuff: inverted 3rings, bellyband not fastened, goggles not on in the door.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

We have flight line checks here in the U.K and still things are missed.... Last year I noticed a lass with a chest ........(pause for comic effect) ....... harness that was not done up correctly. It just did not look right from where I was sat .... so I pointed it out and it wasn't - Phew people - Pay attention to detail ... like you life depends upon it!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

We have flight line checks here in the U.K

I know this will produce the usual American responses about "personal responsibility", "nanny state", blah blah, but I've come to believe that UK-style flight-line checks are a good idea - not necessarily as a regulation, but as a DZ-imposed practice. But I know I'm speaking to an empty room, because the culture would never support it unless the major DZs started mandating it - and that will never happen - slows down the high-volume turnaround time, and time is money.

It doesn't slow anything down really .. there's plenty of time to do proper checks whilst waiting for the plane to land etc....

But if they need more time... wait for an accident to occur and the you'll have loads of time on your hands[:/] - A shut down makes no money.

(.)Y(.)

I know this will produce the usual American responses about "personal responsibility", "nanny state", blah blah, but I've come to believe that UK-style flight-line checks are a good idea

Count 1 American that totally agrees with you.

My pet peeves...the "hotshots" getting on the plane with leg straps dangling, not putting on seat belts, not securing helmets and cameras.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I know this will produce the usual American responses about "personal responsibility", "nanny state", blah blah, but I've come to believe that UK-style flight-line checks are a good idea

Count 1 American that totally agrees with you.

My pet peeves...the "hotshots" getting on the plane with leg straps dangling, not putting on seat belts, not securing helmets and cameras.

Old lessons last forever. I was still a student when a (nice, but not too competent) friend of mine, another student on 30 second delays, went in because he packed himself a mal (which would likely have been caught, from outside the container, with a proper gear check by someone who knew what they were doing) and then didn't perform his EPs. Unlikely that link in the chain would have gone uncorrected had a flight-line check system been in place.

We have flight line checks here in the U.K and still things are missed.... Last year I noticed a lass with a chest ........(pause for comic effect) ....... harness that was not done up correctly. It just did not look right from where I was sat .... so I pointed it out and it wasn't - Phew people - Pay attention to detail ... like you life depends upon it!!

Whats the worst that can??? :)
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

Whats the worst that can??? :)

:D:D:DQuite

(.)Y(.)

a quick but decent check over the rig most people go from top to bottom 3 rings are in proper sequance, chest strap routed correctly, handles are good, leg straps done up, AAD switched on, pin checks main and reserve, the person can reach their PC and if the jumper is cleared to jump the equipment they have on, alti zeored they have goggles and lide etc etc basicly your looking for things that are wrong and could cause a mal or worse if all good no worries it sounds like a bit to do but only take a couple of mins and could save someone

This is the thing always done for the students before boarding on the ground.:S

good reason to sue someone then when they missed stuff on you; even less responsibility. do people now have to be pushed out of an airplane now too!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

good reason to sue someone then when they missed stuff on you; even less responsibility. do people now have to be pushed out of an airplane now too!?

In US may be....

In US may be....

Students are the responsibility of their jump-masters, but if you have your own license your are responsible for yourself.

the mad-cow disease already has extended to the UK, the dutch regulations regarding canopies are now kinda being adopted by at least one boogie in belgium..

my country is way over-regulated, but at least not in that area (yet)..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

A pin check (as it used to be called) on the ground as you were boarding the airplane used to be common, overwhelmingly so. In those days of saggy risers with no keepers, belly bands, and velcro-attached reserve flaps, it only seemed reasonable.

Now that gear has gotten more reliable (and it has) people seem to think that the smaller incidence of problems means that checks are no longer required. Not sure if it is, or isn't, true, but a check on the ground is unlikely to hurt -- no chance of anything getting out the door that way, and the ground is the best place to find problems.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)