Derekbox

Free Skyhook Offer!!

Ill let the release speak for itself:

From Bill Booth - FREE SKYHOOK OFFER
I've never seen anything like it. In the past 3 weeks, there have been three fatalities in the United States alone that the Skyhook could have prevented. (The average number is about three a year.) While there is nothing I can do to alter this sad fact, I feel I can do a little something to help such tragedies in the future.

While the Skyhook is already included free of charge on all our student and tandem equipment, I will extend that offer to all our sport gear ordered before the end of October as well. This option normally retails at $185, so I hope that this offer will help more and more people consider Skyhook on their rigs.

Please take the time to educate yourself about the incredible benefits of the Skyhook - it has been mandatory on our Sigma tandem gear and student gear for over 2 years now, and more and more sport jumpers are also requesting it. View the Skyhook page on this website - there you will see a video of all stages of the Skyhook development (starting from 15 years ago), plus testimonials from customers who have experienced Skyhook saves.

Bill Booth

D'Bo

In the past 3 weeks, there have been three fatalities in the United States alone that an RSL could have prevented.

Edited for accuracy.

Do you feel qualified to edit a post put up by Bill Booth. He just might have meant "Skyhook".>:(

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Do you feel qualified to edit a post put up by Bill Booth. He just might have meant "Skyhook".>:(

THANK YOU.

He is has been so generous with his time, expertise, and experiences on this board. (don't get me started with what has contributed to our sport) I for one have learned a lot.

W-E-A-K.....

THANK YOU.

He is has been so generous with his time, expertise, and experiences on this board. (don't get me started with what has contributed to our sport) I for one have learned a lot.

W-E-A-K.....

Was this post directed at me or genitor?

Sparky

Do you feel qualified to edit a post put up by Bill Booth. He just might have meant "Skyhook"

Do you think Bill Booth know's all?

and also do you think the fatalities in question COULD have been prevented with a regular ol RSL?? I think they could have...

although it is nice for bill to offer his skyhook for free....you'd think it'd be standard equipment though if it could save so many lives.....just food for thought.

and by the way...Bill Boothe didn't put up the post...Derek did.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Yes, Derek did make the post...directly quoting Mr. Booth's webpage.

I'll hazard a guess that Bill Booth knows more about skydiving equipment than most.

The Skyhook *IS* standard equipment on the Sigma tandems and student rigs.

Could this offer by Mr. Booth and RWS be the start of the Skyhook being a standard equipment option? Time will tell, I suppose...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

[

Was this post directed at me or genitor?

My bad, sorry. I was thanking you for saying "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" and expressing disappointment that Deathplay was turning, what I think at least, to be a heartfelt and generous response to what he is witnessing in our sport.

We can, and have, debated RSLs or not, RSLs vs. Skyhooks, ad nauseum. How people have to go in while we split hairs? OF COURSE training and warding of complacency are at the foundation of this pyramid, as it always should. But we are an imperfect species in a unforgiving sport. That math I can even understand.

Yeah, skyhooks are standard (as oppossed to free) on Sigmas and student rigs, as they should be. But with experienced gear we have, and you will excuse the expression, "the dignity of choice". After all, if the Skyhook was mandatory, somebody would bitch. I am not saying they shouldn't as much as I pointing out the fact that you can't please everybody all the time.

Finally *exhales*, between R & D and inherent liabilities, RWS or anybody shouldn't have to give anything away.

While I currently own a Vector, I have owned a Racer and Talon (this is my second go around in this sport), I didn't want people to think this post was about "my gear is the best, etc.

I'll hazard a guess that Bill Booth knows more about skydiving equipment than most.

never said he didn't...the man is brilliant. But he does not know all...it'd be impossible. but I'm sure he's trying...

I know it's standard equipment on the other stuff....but if it's so good for the other stuff why not for the regular vector?

by the way...I'm playing devil's advocate here.

Marc

In the past 3 weeks, there have been three fatalities in the United States alone that an RSL could have prevented.

Edited for accuracy.

Actually, I was going to say RSL instead of Skyhook, but it appears that an old style RSL may have actually contributed to one of the three fatalities.

Actually, I was going to say RSL instead of Skyhook, but it appears that an old style RSL may have actually contributed to one of the three fatalities.

What I'm curious of is how much less likely is it that a Skyhook will contribute to a fatality than an RSL (or at all?). From watching the video the Skyhook seems alot safer than an RSL, in that it appears to handle a wider range of mals safely.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Do you feel qualified to edit a post put up by Bill Booth. He just might have meant "Skyhook"

Do you think Bill Booth know's all?

and also do you think the fatalities in question COULD have been prevented with a regular ol RSL?? I think they could have...

although it is nice for bill to offer his skyhook for free....you'd think it'd be standard equipment though if it could save so many lives.....just food for thought.

and by the way...Bill Boothe didn't put up the post...Derek did.

No, I do not think he knows all, but he knows a damn site more than most of us.

Before you comment, read the post. I was not questioning if an RSL or Skyhook would have made a difference in this incident. I was questioning someone deciding what Bill or any other poster meant and editing their post. If his opinion is different, say so. Don't alter another's words to fit his ideas.

Sparky

By the way, who do you think told Derek to put up the post? Once again read before you comment, Who's name is under the post?

Edited for accuracy.

Will this offer apply to rig orders already in house? (I placed an order for a Vector3 w/ Skyhook sometime around 8/23/05)
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

What I'm curious of is how much less likely is it that a Skyhook will contribute to a fatality than an RSL (or at all?). From watching the video the Skyhook seems alot safer than an RSL, in that it appears to handle a wider range of mals safely.

I design new systems to solve problems I see in existing systems. Conventional RSL's save lives, but over the years they have also contributed to a few fatalities. The Skyhook has features designed into it to solve almost every shortcoming of RSL's that I am aware of. If it didn't have major advantages over "standard" RSL's, I would have never taken the risk of introducing it. As main canopies have become more high performance, so have their malfunctions. To keep up, RSL's needed to be redesigned. It's that simple.

Bill,

Do you think that if it had been the skyhook RSL in the rig in question would this death still have happened? I'm talking about the static line fatality...I would still think that that when he pulled his cutaway...static line deployed the main and he flipped...wouldn't the skyhook still have deployed the reserve? and then possibly have contributed to the death as the traditional RSL seems to have been involved somewhat here?

Marc

Do you think that if it had been the skyhook RSL in the rig in question would this death still have happened? I'm talking about the static line fatality...I would still think that that when he pulled his cutaway...static line deployed the main and he flipped...wouldn't the skyhook still have deployed the reserve? and then possibly have contributed to the death as the traditional RSL seems to have been involved somewhat here?

From what Ive seen of the Skyhook, no. The skyhook gets the reserve out of the freebag in the length of the reserve lines. There isn't time for the jumper to entangle with anything. That is a big difference over just launching the reserve pilot chute and the jumper having to accelerate to get the reserve out of the free bag, towing the piot chute for a bit.

Derek

Bill,

No, I don't think that the Skyhook would have contributed to this fatality. The main reason I developed the system was to help unstable students and tandem pairs after a breakaway. As I've said before, the Skyhook places the reserve right where the main was 1/2 a second before. This simply doesn't allow a tumbling student to capture the pilot chute as appears to have happened in this incident. A conventional RSL just pulls the reserve ripcord. It does nothing to help the pilot chute get out of the way of a tumbling jumper.

Last year there was little to chose between Mirage, Vector, Talon, Javelin, etc.
Now Bill Booth has given me a valid reason to trade my Vector 1 for a new Vector 3: free SKYHOOK.

Trust that crafty, bearded bastard to stay one step ahead of the competition.

Rob, what about the bombproof riser protection on the Vector iii. Significantly better , even when compared to the mirage.
--------------------------------------------------
Practise the 6 P's!
--------------------------------------------------

Hey Bill,
I am sure this has been asked before somewhere, but I cant find it. I bought a new rig a couple of months ago which I am sad to say was not a RW rig :$ However I would very much like the advantages of the skyhook without having to buy again. Is it currently possible to get a skyhook installed on my current rig?

Regards,
Marc

Warwick University Skydiving Club