blacklabjumper

Direct TV

I switched about a month and a half ago, and so far I am pleased. There is one issue, that when the weather is bad, heavy snow or heavy rain you can lose signal.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

I have Direct tv and really enjoy it. As Pokerstar stated, sometimes when the weather is bad, and depending on where your satellite is situated, the signal may go out. We don't really have a problem with that at my house unless it's really bad out.

The only other thing I don't like (and I'm still young with good eyesight)! The guide and channel display at the top of the screen is so small and hard to read!
p.s. if anyone else has this and knows how to make it bigger, let me know!

The biggest downside to satellite is not having cable internet... I can't live without cable speeds. I just download all my tv anyways so I can watch it whenever and I don't have to pay for HD or a DVR.

I actually kept my comcast cable internet and have direct tv.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

My cable company sucks!! I am thinking about switching to direct TV. Looking for opinions experiences etc. I got a flyer in the newspaper and it seems like a good deal but there has got to be a catch.

I switched to Direct TV recently, because of ever-rising cable prices.

If it's the "$29.95 deal", there is sort of a catch. You have to agree to give them automatic bill pay by direct deposit from your checking account. And then they'll try and jack that good price back up by adding on the maintenance package, the DVD recorder, etc. And there are some initial installation fees also. And an 18-month contract. It's all in the fine print which nobody reads. So you'll pay up front for the switch, but in the long run over a year, you'll save money.

They also told me that I wouldn't lose my signal during heavy rainstorms, because their technology is better. That was a lie. I still lose my satellite signal during heavy rainstorms.

and so far I am pleased. There is one issue, that when the weather is bad, heavy snow or heavy rain you can lose signal.

Or ice on the satelite dish, but thats remediable (is that even a word??) with a little "search" on the dz dot:P
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

My cable company sucks!! I am thinking about switching to direct TV. Looking for opinions experiences etc. I got a flyer in the newspaper and it seems like a good deal but there has got to be a catch.

I live out in the boonies and there is no cable service out here. I have had Direct TV since 1996. Yeah, a few times a year there is loss of signal from storms but overall the service is great. I have Hughes.Net for my internet. Not as fast as cable or DSL but better than dial up!

If you want to PM me we can both save $100 if I recommend you. I'm serious!

The biggest downside to satellite is not having cable internet... I can't live without cable speeds. I just download all my tv anyways so I can watch it whenever and I don't have to pay for HD or a DVR.

DSL is fast enough to stream HDTV from Netflix and other sources. Even when your neighbors are using the internet.

I scrapped cable and satellite years ago when I realized that I hadn't watched anything in six months (times $60 each). A good local video store did the trick and now I have Netflix.

I have had DirecTV for about 5 years now and have generally been very happy... I seldom lose my signal due to weather and we've had some rather serious weather here...

I have High Speed internet through my cable company...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Any satellite systems will experience 'rain fade', Ku band (what DirecTV uses) is one of the least effected by it, but you probably will still notice when it gets nasty outside. There's other times when you have a perfect sky, but the broadcast terminal doesnt. Its pretty rare for that one to happen though.

I'm not a big fan of consumer sat terminals (like the hughes) but if you have no other options, go for it.

Keep in mind, the one I used to have was download limited, you download too much, they will throttle you and eventually kill your connection.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Although I do stream a lot (netflix and hulu) I DL a lot more (through BT). Also I'm an avid gamer. I also have roommates.

I've lived without cable internet when it wasn't available, while I was able to get middle tier DSL (3 Mbps) it wasn't enough. I currently have 10 Mbps cable and could easily use higher if it was available in my area (hurry up DOCSIS 3.0 or FIOS)

Oh and FIOS is the way to go for TV also if its available

I've had directv for over 14 years. have not had many problems. when it's bad out i may loose signal. and and it has locked up on me a few times when I had to unplug the box and let it reboot it's self. but when I have called customer service the have allways been english speaking and helpful. ymmv
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .