NewGuy2005

Need Advice on Motorcycle Helmets

Check the ratings. Some are only DOT approved, personally i went with Snell approved.

Vents are important. Not only to keep cool when its warm but more importantly to help with fogging when it's night or cool.

A good fit is key. Also, if you plan on trying a few on take a pair of sunglasses with you when trying them in case you ever need to ride in shades. I'm not a fan of tinted visors as you cant use them at night and they scratch.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

DOT approved, don't worry about Snell. A decent helmet will run you around $200 minimum.

You can get a DOT/Snell approved helmet for $100. Nothing wrong with wanting/having a higher standard than DOT.

Snell Approved Helmets
The Snell Memorial Foundation (SMF) was formed in 1957 after William "Pete" Snell, a race car driver, died from massive head trauma. he sustained in a racing accident. The non-profit organization focuses on learning more about the components of head injuries, and how to prevent them by using helmets. Through their research the foundation has developed a standard for approving helmets that is continually tested and updated every five years.

There are two key differences between a DOT- and Snell-approved helmet. First, is the testing standards the helmets go through, and second, is the verification of the results.

Although their testing process is very similar, SMF requires their certified helmets to withstand a greater impact and absorb more force than the DOT standards.

Both standards drop the head forms on flat and hemispherically shaped anvils in order to simulate different types of impacts. However, Snell also uses an edged anvil that specifically tests the integrity of the helmet's shell.

DOT and Snell test each helmet two times at four different impact zones. DOT drops their helmets from a 6-foot height on the flat anvil and from a 4.5-foot height on the hemispherical anvil. Snell on the other hand, drops the helmets from a 10-foot and 7.5-foot height on both anvils, which simulates a more severe impact.

While there's no guarantee a DOT-approved helmet has actually been tested, the purchase of a Snell-approved lid ensures that the product has been evaluated under scrutiny. A Snell-certified helmet also meets and exceeds the DOT standards.

http://www.leatherup.com/g/Snell-Approved-Helmets/90.html
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Obvious really ... but make sure that it fits correctly.

Buy a repitable brand (not some cheap knock-off because it looks cool)

Make sure that it's a relatively current model, so that you can still get replacement visors.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I'm going to go with fit, along with the standard approval(s). Look at DOT and Snell and decide if you need both. But get a helmet that fits all of your head snugly if possible (i.e. it's not tight front to back and loose side to side, or vice versa). Some helmets are for rounder heads than others.

I wear an XL Oxygn for skydiving, because of head shape. But in HJC (a creditable, but not top-end brand), I wear a medium, because it fits so well. Which means less shifting of the helmet if I do go down. OTOH, my husband wears an Arai, because his head is narrow side to side. I used to have a Shoei, and it pressed against my forehead, making a red spot.

The conventional wisdom is that you should wander around the store wearing the helmet for 20 minutes to check it out for major pressure points and comfort.

Here is a short article about picking out a helmet.

Sound like overkill? You'll be wearing this as long as you're wearing the bike, most likely.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

50% of DOT Approved fail the DOT test when they are actually tested by an independent lab. In order to receive DOT approval, the manufacture must believe the helmet will pass the test, they do not have to actually test the helmet. You can do a search for the DOT test results. DOT means nothing. Get a SNELL certified helmet.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/2007s218.pdf

DV

Don't spend $9k on a bike and $100 on a helmet! A good lid will cost some cash. I only ride with Arai helmets now. I've owned AGV, Shoei, HJC, Nolan, Bieffe and a few others. I have a noggin that fits best in Arai's - that (along with their safety record) is enough to keep me in an Arai. They are also (IMHO) the best vented helmet.

+1 for Icon, i love their helmets gloves and jackets. Great fit, great quality, awesome protection, and of course the most important factor...style ;)

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

50% of DOT Approved fail the DOT test when they are actually tested by an independent lab. In order to receive DOT approval, the manufacture must believe the helmet will pass the test, they do not have to actually test the helmet. You can do a search for the DOT test results. DOT means nothing. Get a SNELL certified helmet.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/2007s218.pdf

DV

Whoa!!!:o
A posting by Hooknswoop!!!
I'm going to save this; These are so rare these days, I just know it will be a valuable collectors item!;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Fit is everything! Don't listen to the salesman like they're God! You have to like the fit. They'll tell you it has to be really tight (and it should be). But, it shouldn’t be so tight as to give you headaches. Do some research on helmet fit, and try them on to see which one is right for you.

http://www.motorcyclehelmet.com/helmet_fitting_guide.html

Also, I always recommend buying an extra shield. They’re hard to find two years down the line and you’ll probably get scratches in the original soon enough.

Blue skies and twisted highways...
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I ride with a shoei, and like it very much. As others have said, each manufacturer has a different shape, so try on the major brands and see what fits best. Shoei, Arai, Icon, Suomy, all very good lids. My bro has a Suomy that was very expensive ($700) (He works in a motorcycle apparel store and knows his shiznit) and it is a NICE helmet. Incredibly light. Anyways, figure out which brand works for you, and then get the model that matches your price. As others have said, more vents is something you can't add later, but I can bet you will want.

Check the ratings. Some are only DOT approved, personally i went with Snell approved.

Vents are important. Not only to keep cool when its warm but more importantly to help with fogging when it's night or cool.

A good fit is key. Also, if you plan on trying a few on take a pair of sunglasses with you when trying them in case you ever need to ride in shades. I'm not a fan of tinted visors as you cant use them at night and they scratch.

Make sure there is room for a balaclava for when it is cold or you have a shaved head.

I've been riding a BMW 1150RT for the last few weeks and riding with a modular full face. I really am not a fan of full face helmets (even though they offer much better protection), but I like the modular since if I get hot in traffic I can lift it. It makes life much more enjoyable.

Now I'm even thinking about buying one to ride with on my personal bike in the winter (the helmet, not the BMW, I can't afford the BMW even though its a great bike).:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

meh....
all about personal choice I suppose.
I ALWAYS wore high quality full face lids when I rode the donor cycles.
Yesterday crossing the state line from GA to FL, I couldnt' wait to lose that lid.
I LOVE the free feeling of no helmet. Much like safe sex I suppose. Damn does it feel good!!!

If a bike wreck is severe enough that the helmet will keep me alive, maybe I prefer to not survive.
I've laid 'em down twice at fairly high speeds without a helmet. Been fine both times.
Sudden impact? Helmet won't help.

I do fully support people in their own choice.;)

The OP wants a quality helmet. Much good advice given to that end.
B|

Fit Fit Fit. If it doesn't fit you won't wear it and will have wasted your money anyway.

I have a HUGE and oddly shaped head and literally tried on every XL helmet for sale two counties in every direction. Finally went with an Arai. It cost me an arm and a leg, but I knew that I just wouldn't wear it if it didn't fit.
Killing threads since 2004.