Thanatos340

New York/Broadway suggestions??

I just booked a Trip to New York for 4th of July Weekend. The main purpose of this trip is to take my Daughter to see a real Broadway Show or two and some sight-seeing show her around NY.

We are staying at at the Crowne Plaza Time Square (Gotta Love those Hotel Points:)
I haven't been to NY in at least 10 years.. I am looking for tips on MUST see sights and shows.. Suggestions??

We are definitely planning on giving that a try while there.

Anyone have feedback on the current running Broadway Productions??

We have already seen the Touring productions of most of the Classics that are still running (Phantom, Wicked, Hair, ect..) so we are leaning towards some of the newer productions. So far we are considering In the Heights, Rock of Ages and/or Avenue Q.

My Daughter wants to see Avenue Q but I have a problem with paying $450 to see a Play that has Puppets in it.:D:D

I would like to see Rock of Ages but dont think a 17year old would have the same appreciation for a musical about 80`s hair bands.

Also any good Restaurant recommendations would be welcome and appreciated.

I'm taking my son and his girlfriend in a few weeks and have been looking into the same things.

If you want to go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, you should probably get advanced tickets online. The boat that takes you over will fill up and the advanced tickets also help you get through the line a little quicker. They are letting people in the top, but it doesn't start until that weekend and it's a lottery. Maybe you'll get lucky though! Here's the link for the tickets.

As far as shows go, Nick might choose Stomp. He's seen the traveling show, but he wants to see it on Broadway and he's not too into musicals or drama.

With my daughter a couple years ago, we really enjoyed the cruise that takes you around the island and gives you some touristy info. It's also a nice break from walking around. The carriage ride around Central Park is nice too as is the Natural History Museum and zoo which are all located in the same area.

If you want to get up early, it's fun to see one of the morning shows being taped.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Oh dear God, you're gonna be on the loose in NYC!!!! Someone call someone... :P:P

I was there in 98, at Christmas time and had a really nice time. Went to the top of the Statue of Liberty, takes forever to get the crown, and the last several hundred stairs your nose in the person's butt right in front of you, but the view at the top is worth it...

Times Square is really neat, but i wouldn't reccomend eating there, as the prices are extremely high, you can walk a few blocks, find the same thing at half the price.... ($12.00 for a hot dog platter at TGI Fridays) ended up getting a better hot dog a few blocks away for a few dollars....:P

Lots of neat things to see, definitly a world of its own.

We didnt see any broadway shows, but we did see a taping of the Tonight Show, that was fun...

and we took a cab ride thru the village too....;)

Have you tried on of those Day of Show/Half Price Ticket Places??

I did that when I was there for Rent. You arrive in the morning and put you name in a drawing to be held that afternoon for the enveings show. You have to be present when they do the drawing but you get two tickets for $20 each, they raffle the first two rows so i ended up with a front row seat. Pretty much everyone who returned in the afternoon got a seat. Not sure how other shows do this but I'm sure there has to be other deals like this.

Oh, I love Trip Advisor! That site and Rick Steves travelguides have given great advice on getting some really cool rooms and meals, especially through Europe.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

How old is your daughter. I took my kids to see Shrek the musical, as well as Mary Poppins, and they enjoyed both very much. I enjoyed Shrek more than Marry Poppins. My kids are 7 and 5.

Also a place that my son highly recomends is Ellen's Stardust dinner. It is right near the Theater where Mamma Mia is playing... I think it is the Wintergarden.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Stayed at that hotel. I found it very convenient. Didn't do shows but my wife is a huge Today show fan so we went there one morning-it was fun. Enjoy yourself. It's so cool that you get to do that with your daughter.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

My somewhat dated opinion: Back in the mid 70's I had reason to visit NYC somewhat regularly. My favorite was to hit the USO office on Times Square & see what they had tickets off-Broadway. Some were bad, some were good, & all were much more intimate than the big productions. Hell, some of the "theaters" (I use the term loosely) were as much fun as the production. Then again, the city has changed in the last 35 years... :|

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I love that place!

Do they still have that chair you sit in and hold onto as long as you can while it shocks you? :ph34r:

that sounds like torture!!:D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Definitely do the harbor cruise......starts on the Hudson around 44th St., down around Battery Park, and up the East River to the Williamsborough (?) bridge, and back. Well worth the price, especially at dusk / night.

And you CAN eat well in Times Square. On one trip, we had a $6 steak there.......of course, it tasted like a $2 steak, what with the inflated prices and all.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

That's awesome J!!!! What a great father/daughter trip. My 16th birthday present was a trip to NYC with my dad and it rocked. My brothers got to go to New Orleans and Vegas. The youngest one gets to go to Vegas AGAIN for his 21st birthday. He sure is spoiled.

Anyway, one of my favorite parts of that trip was the Statue of Liberty crown. I liked seeing inside the statue. It was crowded, and took all afternoon, but it was worth it. I think you guys would really like Avenue Q, but I have not seen those other shows you said you are thinking about so I can't comment on them. The Producers was really good too, if that's even still playing. And you can find some GREAT theatre off-Broadway too, that's definitely worth checking out, especially if she's going to be a theatre major. I have tried to do those 1/2 price ticket places, but the lines are always too long and the shows seem to be limited. I've never wanted to waste 1/2 day in NYC standing in line at those booths, but I don't know, maybe it's worth it.

I always enjoy just wandering around Central Park too.....

Hope you guys have fun! :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Thanks...

We are only going to be there 4 days (Thurs - Sunday) and with the Saturday that we are there being the 4th of July (Gotta go watch the Fireworks over the Hudson) is going to limit how much we get to do. Also noticed that several of the theaters are Dark that night (not sure if it is because of the Fireworks or Holiday or what.)
I really wanted to do this a different weekend, This was the only Weekend this summer that we were all available.

Speaking of which... Anyone have suggestions for Places to watch the Fireworks on the 4th in New York?

(And thanks everyone for the suggestions so far... That Jeckel and Hyde place looks like a great time.:)

Thanks...

We are only going to be there 4 days (Thurs - Sunday) and with the Saturday that we are there being the 4th of July (Gotta go watch the Fireworks over the Hudson)

Hey man...

You can see fireworks in just about any direction, but make sure to head over to the East River, not the Hudson. The East River is where the Macy's display takes place, with 4 or 5 barges launching from the river.

As for shows...if you are staying over Sunday night, check out Upright Citizen's Brigade Asscat 3000. It's an improv comedy show. Can't say for sure they'll have it over the holiday weekend, but worth it if possible.
Killing threads since 2004.