skymama

What were dorm room essentials for you?

Besides condoms. :P

My son is graduating from HS today and I'm already looking ahead to what he might need for his dorm room so I can start picking things up. I lived in apartments when I went to college, so I never had to worry much about small spaces. Any tricks or items that made your life easier? I'm taking notes! :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My son is graduating from HS today and I'm already looking ahead to what he might need for his dorm room so I can start picking things up. I lived in apartments when I went to college, so I never had to worry much about small spaces. Any tricks or items that made your life easier? I'm taking notes! :)

Condoms...:ph34r: Please don't hoit me...I'z juz kiddin.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Beer. Coeds.:)
OK, seriously:
- Mini fridge (for the beer of course).;)
- Microwave.
- Small ghetto-blaster, i.e. AM/FM/cassette. (Yes, cassette. It was 1986:P)
- Small TV.

I was a co-op student, meaning I had to move back and forth between school and a job 1000 miles away at the end of every semester, so everything (but the fridge), needed to fit in a Jeep CJ-5. There were always mini-fridges being sold at the end of every semester, so those were easy to buy/sell.

Edit to add: Also a quality book bag. Due to the size of campus and the short time between classes, I had to sometimes haul a huge pile of books in my bag. The first bag started coming apart at the seams in 6 weeks. I replaced it with a good one from REI that lasted the remaining 5 years of school and I still have it today.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

For serious, loftbeds are the shit. Puts you a mini office of YOUR space under your bed. Most colleges allow it. Where's he goin?

Shower shoes/kits. Everyone in my dorm didn't get the "shower shoes" b/c they were MEN...and those MANLY MEN always had something passin b/w each other...oye.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Agree with what others have said about the mini-fridge. Check to make sure that a microwave is allowed before you get one of those. I think they weren't allowed in my dorm "back in the day."

A fan. No A/C in our dorms, and the heat was always on during certain times of the year, regardless of whether there was an unseasonal warm spell. So we used the windows/fans as our A/C... year round (in Virginia!).

Any other ideas I have, a young man would probably scoff at :D... like shower caddys for toiletries (assuming shared bathrooms).

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I got to college with only clothes and a leather book back (from overseas).
The things I bought right away that I couldn't live without were:
sheets
towels (with Yogi Bear :ph34r:)
bedspread
toiletries

Things I bought later:
fridge
can/bottle opener
popcorn popper (hey, there weren't any microwaves in those days -- we just built fires!)
koozie
some cinder blocks and boards for configurable shelving

And Lisa's absolutely right about the power strip.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Depending on the dorm room and they type of bed provided. Usually they are bunkbeds that can be taken down into two separate beds. we used cinder blocks to lift them up so we had more useable floor space. Microwaves weren't allowed in our dorm, but we had one of those little electric pots that boiled water for soups, etc. A cofee pot was a must for us as well.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Agree with what others have said about the mini-fridge. Check to make sure that a microwave is allowed before you get one of those. I think they weren't allowed in my dorm "back in the day."

They weren't allowed at mine, either.
That is why I kept it in the closet.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

but we had one of those little electric pots that boiled water for soups, etc.

Could that be what the school is calling a "hot pot"? I've used a hot pad and a crock pot, but never a hot pot so I didn't know what that was. A microwave or hot pad isn't allowed in the rooms.

We are getting a mini-fridge, but it has to be bought through the school. :S

He's going to Flagler University in St. Augustine. I told him he's close enough to come home every weekend and visit his mama, so I won't be redoing his room anytime soon! ;)
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I won't be redoing his room anytime soon!

I took a tour there a few years ago -- my memory is that even parents of the opposite gender aren't allowed upstairs, so you won't be redoing his room at all, will you...

Really cool place, though

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think we're allowed to help him move in. Maybe I better check on that! :ph34r:

It's a dry campus and you're right about the "no opposite-gender mingling" in the rooms. I'm good with both of those!

When I started school, everyone thought I was lucky because my roommate had a typewriter and that was in only 88. A computer and printer was only to be had in the lab across campus.

I have to +1 the loft and add a 2-seater. In a cramped room, it really doubles the living space. "L" shpaed worked well for me and my roommate. Desks were head to head under one bed and a 2-seater couch under the other opposite the TV.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!