Thanatos340

Barbeque!!!

Alright.. Another critical debate that must be settled.. Barbecue.

What kinda Meat, How should it be prepared and what kinda sauce first comes to mind when you think Barbecue??

Lets hear it.
I like most all types of Barbeque but generally prefer Old fashion Smoked Pulled Pork with a Carolina style mustard based sauce.

The 4th of July is coming up, Share your Barbecue secrets.:)

Midwest spicy/sweet molasses based please.
Just about any meat....but a slow smoked pork shoulder is most preferred, dry rub cooked, sauce on the side when served. No sauce during cooking!!! OK, maybe if you do ribs, but only during the last few minutes please.
And no forks, never pierce the meat! (that's what she said)
B|

Voted for Ribs and Mustard Based (Carolina Style)

Ribs are sooooo nice to bbq.... B|

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

molasses based indeed. None of that vinegar crap.
pre-soak the meat overnight in a mix of 50% beer and 50% water before cooking. Dark ales are best, IMO. Sauce brushed on during cooking.
Never pierce the meat except to check if it's cooked thru enough.

Pork shoulder or beef rib.I actually prefer 100% beer for the soak, but it seems like such a sin to pour that much beer down the drain after the pre-soak. One of my friends likes to drink the beer after the meat has been in it overnight, but I don't find the taste appealing at all.

Pulled Pork, Tomato based barbeque sauce. Or a chicken with a beer shoved up its ass:o:ph34r:

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I dont care what kind of meat or how it is flavored....

just make sure who ever the BBQ'r is they dont over or under cook the food.....;)

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I say all us Atlanta folks meet up at Williams Brothers Bar-B-Q tonight. They have about every variation on the menu and at least 8 different sauces. Lets try em all and take a Vote!!(Just to be sure);):D:D

There's one about 2 miles from my house and you can smell it from about a mile away. :D:D

Here in Texas, it's brisket, slow cooked... for hours, over a mesquite fire. Some will use a rub of various spices and when done, should show a good 'salt line'. Barbecue sauce is served on the side.

Chuck

DROOL! Yeah this Southern style pulled pork is NOT BBQ. Although I would say smoked brisket is the way to go.

You can take the girl out a Texas but I guess you cant take the Texas out of the Girl.:S;):D

It is all good to me. Kill it, Soak it, Throw it on the grill, Drink a few Cold Beers while it cooks, A Little BBQ Sauce on the side for dippin if ya feel like it. Throw in a hottie or three to look at and talk to while it cooks..

And heaven cant be much better.

mustard-based is SOUTH Carolina style. As for NC: http://hkentcraig.com/BBQexp.html

come on, get it right! :P

I prefer the Eastern NC style, slow cooked whole-hog pork (pulled, of course) in a vinegar and hot-pepper "sauce". All that tomato-based stuff they serve anywhere west of Raleigh is just too heavy for me.

oh man, i miss it...no one out here knows what the hell they're doing.

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

One of my friends likes to drink the beer after the meat has been in it overnight,

:D:D That's gotta be a skydiver, right?:D

I like ribs, pork or beef, low and slow, maybe 8+ hours, add some sauce last couple of hours. I wish I had an indirect heat type of smoker. Really hard to do barbecue on a gas grill.:)

I found this recipe and made it a few weeks back. It was DELICIOUS!!!

---------

Herb Crusted Beef Tenderloin Roast with White Wine Cream Sauce

What you’ll need in addition to the ingredients for the RUB and the SAUCE:

Olive oil (just to coat the tenderloin)
Butchers twine (to tie around the tenderloin at approx 1” intervals)

RUB – now, this is meant for a 6lb (or 2.72 kg) Tenderloin Roast – make up the entire batch but use what you need for a smaller roast and keep the rest for another time. I cooked a 0.5 kg piece of tenderloin and used about a ¼ of the rub – it won’t completely cover the tenderloin – it “sparkles” it! =)

1 ½ tbsp (22ml) dried tarragon
2 ½ tsp (12 ml) kosher salt
2 tsp (10 ml) freshly ground black pepper
2 ½ tsp (12 ml) dried thyme
1 tsp (5 ml) dried sage, packed

In a small bowl, mix all rub ingredients together

TENDERLOIN – whatever size you choose

Trim and discard excess fat and silver skin from the tenderloin (the butcher did this for me). If using a LARGE tenderloin, you might have to tuck up the skinny “tail” so the diameter of the tenderloin is the same all the way down.

Lay it out flat so, smoothest side up.

Tie roast with butchers twin at even intervals (I did this about every inch – 3 ties on it).

Lightly coat roast with olive oil and season with the rub.

Let roast stand at room temp for 30 to 60 mins (I left mine for 60). While this was going on, I prepped the sauce:

WHITE WINE SAUCE – I made the whole batch meant for the whole 6lb tenderloin. Dumped it over some new baby potatoes I had cooked as well as the sliced tenderloin – TRES YUMMY! The rest is in the fridge to use for something else!!

½ cup (125 ml) minced shallots (I used 4 small ones – probably overkill – you can get away with 2 small ones)
½ cup rice vinegar
1 ½ tsp (7 ml) dried tarragon
Pinch dried thyme
½ cup (125 ml) sodium reduced chicken broth (I used veggie broth)
½ cup (125 ml) dry white wine
1 ½ cups (375 ml) whipping cream
½ cup packed minced fresh Italian parsley (I used regular parsley – could find the Italian)

In a large skillet over high heat, combine shallots, vinegar, tarragon and thyme and cook until vinegar evaporates (about 3 to 4 minutes), stirring often.

Add wine and broth and boil until reduced to about ½ cup (125 ml) (about 3 to 4 minutes).
Add cream and boil until surface is covered with large, shiny bubbles and sauce is reduced to about 1 ½ cups (375 ml), about 5 to 7 minutes. (NOTE – I added about a tsp (5 ml) of cornstarch mixed with about 3 tbsp (45 ml) of water to thicken this – it didn’t seem to thicken even after about 10 mins of bubbling away).

Remove from heat and set aside. Reheat and add minced parsley just before serving.

COOKING THE ROAST

Heat your BBQ for direct cooking over medium heat

Clean cooking grates and brush with Olive Oil. Let it “cook” off for about 5 mins.

Sear roast over direct medium heat for about 15 minutes, turning a ¼ turn once every 4 minutes.

Slide roast over indirect medium heat (I put it on a small grill cage I have that put it up over the heat about an inch). Cook for about 20 to 30 minutes, turning once, for about medium-rare doneness FOR THE 6lb tenderloin). I left mine on for about 20 minutes and it was medium to medium-well – but still YUMMY!

Keep lid closed as much as possible during cooking.

Remove from grill, loosely cover in foil and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.

Cut butchers twine off and slice into 1” pieces
'Shell

You can take the girl out a Texas but I guess you cant take the Texas out of the Girl.:S;):D

It is all good to me. Kill it, Soak it, Throw it on the grill, Drink a few Cold Beers while it cooks, A Little BBQ Sauce on the side for dippin if ya feel like it. Throw in a hottie or three to look at and talk to while it cooks..

And heaven cant be much better.

Jay, i will take a pic of me grillin on the boat friday then:P At least you can have a picture of heaven for reference;):D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.