fmmobley

Dytter in a Protec helmet?

A Dytter will fit just fine. Well, mine did at least. I just put it inside, with the speaker (back) side towards my ear, and used a ziptie to attach it to the slots across the ear hole.
No problems at all, in slipping or hearing or working.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You mean a dytter such as a Pro-dytter, a Pro-track or a Neptune? Then sure, they'll fit in the ear hole inside the helmet just fine (usually). You can mount them to the outside of the helmet as well, but then a riser strike can take it off your helmet (its happened to quite a few people).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have a prodytter in one ear and a protrack in the other, they fit nice and snug in the ear openings of the helmet liner. have stayed put for over 100 jumps for me, if you are really concerned you can ziptie or otherwise mount them either externally or internally, just make sure when you put them in the lining that they are snug and the speaker is pointed TOWARDS your ear, not to the outside of the helmet

Edit to add (yes I use a protek) and they get much more comfortable if you pull the liner and cover it in cloth.

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

I have a pattern for a nice little Neptune pocket for ProTecs, courtesy former AFS superstar, Jason Benzing. If anyone wants a copy, e-mail me - [email protected].

Please note that this pattern and the resulting product have not been tested, approved, reviewed, condoned, endorsed, or otherwise even sniffed at by Alti-2. Got it? ;)

~Lara

Over the years... I've had an original Dytter and now a Pro-Dytter mounted in the ProTec I wear when jumping. I've mounted both styles similar to how WendyW said... what I do is use Super Tack and just tie it in place around the foam liner in the ProTec so that it's in the ear-hole with the speaker facing towards your ear.

In short, "no" you don't have to buy an expensive helmet to mount a regular old Dytter or Pro-Dytter in it... regardless of what the gear shop owners may tell you... ooops, did I say that last part out-loud... doh!
:P

I mounted mine similar to what JR showed in his pictures, but in the second pic... instead of running the zip ties around the Dytter and through holes in the ProTech... just use Super Tac around the liner / foam, so the Dytter winds up in the same position JR shows in his second photo... that way you don't have to drill holes in your Pro Tech and you don't have to cut the bars / basket out to be able to adjust the Dytter... you just flip it out, adjust it, shove it back in the ear space, put the helmet on.

Bev Suits make what is called a winter liner for the protec.You put the winter liner over the protec padding and it has velcro that matches the attaching velcro inside the helmet. If you put the dytter in the ear pocket of the foam inside the liner it stays in place.Its easy to get in and out also.It also makes the helmet a lot quieter.It only blocks air, there is no insulation.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Here's what i did to my Protec.

Does the LCD display screen get all banged up? Those things seem to be kind of sensitive and easily ruined.

What's the black bar running diagonally across the earpiece - some kind of rigid protection bar to keep the LCD screen from getting all banged up?

instead of running the zip ties around the Dytter and through holes in the ProTech... just use Super Tac around the liner / foam, so the Dytter winds up in the same position JR shows in his second photo... that way you don't have to drill holes in your Pro Tech and you don't have to cut the bars / basket out to be able to adjust the Dytter... you just flip it out, adjust it, shove it back in the ear space, put the helmet on.

Is this the kind of "supertack" to which you refer (see photo). It's found in craft stores, and is like putty, but is sticky. I use it on picture frames (along with a hanger) to stick them to the wall so they don't tilt off-level.

That sounds like a good technique. I'll try that on my next one.

On my ProTrac in the other earpiece, I use a small strip of stick-on velcro to keep the bugger in place. That does the same thing you are taking about here with supertack.

Here's what i did to my Protec.

Does the LCD display screen get all banged up? Those things seem to be kind of sensitive and easily ruined.

What's the black bar running diagonally across the earpiece - some kind of rigid protection bar to keep the LCD screen from getting all banged up?

Yes! In fact, they're just oval drawer pulls, that I installed over the Pro-Track (now a Neptune! ) to protect the LCD from being scratched, and also to prevent the risers from knocking the Neptune off the helmet. Losing a few of them, can be costly. :S

Yves.

instead of running the zip ties around the Dytter and through holes in the ProTech... just use Super Tac around the liner / foam, so the Dytter winds up in the same position JR shows in his second photo... that way you don't have to drill holes in your Pro Tech and you don't have to cut the bars / basket out to be able to adjust the Dytter... you just flip it out, adjust it, shove it back in the ear space, put the helmet on.

Is this the kind of "supertack" to which you refer (see photo). It's found in craft stores, and is like putty, but is sticky. I use it on picture frames (along with a hanger) to stick them to the wall so they don't tilt off-level.

That sounds like a good technique. I'll try that on my next one.

On my ProTrac in the other earpiece, I use a small strip of stick-on velcro to keep the bugger in place. That does the same thing you are taking about here with supertack.

Ummm... no...

Super Tack

http://www.paragear.com/templates/base_template.asp?group=33#T1050

Bev Suits make what is called a winter liner for the protec.You put the winter liner over the protec padding and it has velcro that matches the attaching velcro inside the helmet. If you put the dytter in the ear pocket of the foam inside the liner it stays in place.Its easy to get in and out also.It also makes the helmet a lot quieter.It only blocks air, there is no insulation.

This winter liner plus stick-on Velcro seems to be the hot setup. I'm going to try it.

I sewed a small pouch out of a scrap of fabric, just the right size to fit my ProTrack. It has a flap with a velcro closure to keep it closed. One side has a couple tabs with velcro - I put the pouch on the inside, the tabs go through the ear piece and velcro around the horizontal bars of the ear piece. It not only keeps the dytter very secure, it also keeps the LCD from getting scratched.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I zip-tied the bracket that comes with the ProTrac to the ear holes of the ProTec, I then used a rubber band to futher secure the unit to the bracket. I also covered the earholes with black electrical tape, which is a perfect color match to my helmet (I covered both ear holes)
Everything (except the tape) was included in the Protrack (the same is included with the ProDytter).

I have the screen facing my ear and not the speaker, but due to the closed ear holes I have absolutely no problem hearing it in freefall. Actually, it's extremely loud when it beeps on the way to altitude.

I also read several post about not trusting the included bracket, but this configuration with the screen facing out keeps me from ever having to remove the unit from the helmet, so the bracket is extremely tight, I also have the rubber band for extra security.
I'm very confident that my unit is very secure in its place. If my helmet is ever struck hard enough to disloge it, the ProTrack is really going to be the last of my worries.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!