Bibliophile

Am I the only skydiver who doesn't drink ?

Hello, everybody.

So I finally graduated AFF yesterday. Of course, I get told about having to buy everybody beer (which I already knew).

The only problem is: I don't drink, and for similar reasons, I don't buy alcohol. So I did the next best thing: I bought some cases of soda.

But it made me wonder: Am I the only one here who doesn't drink?

Or I am condemned to stick out like a sore thumb among skydivers, because I don't partake in the beer tradition?

Anybody?

I applaud your decision. From 1963 -1973 I tried to live up to the skydiver image. Eventually, I had to leave the sport to survive. 1971 - 1983 are blurry lost years in the aftermath of developing DZ values into the counter-culture lifestyle of the time. Drinking and drugging have done a lot of damage in this sport. I encourage you to stay straight. When I returned to the sport in 1984 I made a personal rule to leave the DZ before the partying started.

The Christian Skydivers Association was started in 1987 for the purpose of having positive skydiving fellowship. Ephesians 5 encourages us to turn away from alcohol and allow the Holy Spirit to come in.

On the positive side, all that experience provided a path for work, as a substance abuse/chemical dependency/mental health counselor. Only God can take decades of screwing up and turn it into a profession.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

The beer rules are clear: If you don't take beer from beer cases, then you don't have to buy beer. The program is volontary.

If you don't want to drink or don't drink for religious reasons, or i you stopped drinking because of bad experiences with alcohol, then you just don't drink, and everyone should respect that.

I know several skydivers who either don't drink at all or hardly ever drink. It's normal.

Stand up for your own choices.

:)
Oh, we LOVE cases of soda on a hot summer day. Preferably sparkly natural mineral water.

B|

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Hi phile,
There was one other. Back in the old round canopy, cardinal Puff daze at Old Elsinore there was a jumper that didn't drink so he did the Cardinal Puff "Pope" ritual with Pepsicola and became the first and only as far as I know "Pepsi Cola Pope!!" The regular Pope ritual is the Supreme Cardinal ritual done with 64 ozs. of Beer in a beer pitcher and has to be done in a 10 minute time limit!! 64 ozs. of Pepsi in 10 minutes??......"""B-U-R-P!!!!!"""""
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

No, you are not the only one. I too applaud your decision, If you do not want too, don't. Like Davjohns said, I don't like the taste, and don't care for the effects. I quit over 20 years ago, and have never rgeretted it. I got away from that lifestyle when I started jumping(really!)
I have othe reasons, I have seen so many peoples lives ruined by alchohol, and am currently trying to get one of my oldest friends into rehab before he finishes killing himself.

Maybe we will meet at a boogie and put together a non drinkers big way.....well, maybe we can scrape together a 4 way;)

My skydiving friends almost all drink, but I have never felt any pressure from any of them about it, they know where I stand. I am the DD when we go to out of town events , but I don't mind, we all get there safely.

Don't fret about it, be yourself.

-------------------------------------------------
Lord please help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am.

I don't drink,

Sounds like we got a designated driver.B| Welcome aboard.:)

Thanks. I actually end up as the DD everytime I go out with friends.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Gettin' ready to quit smokin' here in a day or so...

Still playin' THAT old fuckin' tune huh Jarhead?! :S:P

If you're quiting then I guess you finally learned how to pack! B|

Sure am, Moses! How bout you? you still puffin' on them things? Care for a double or nothin'?

Pack? Hell I just pay people to do that for me now.:P

Double er nuthin' is a loser for you...the redhead got me some of those patch things.

They are definitely working, although they taste like shit and are a bitch to keep lit! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't drink either, but when I owe beer, I buy beer...it's not for me anyway...;)

If I'm owed "beer" (like a reserve ride or something) I ask for a case of tea or something soft.

I've never been ostracized for not drinking at the DZ...I get entertainment watching some that do though...:D:D

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Welcome aboard! You should change your handle to Designated Driver. ;)

Anyway, the beer rules also state you may contirbute to the beer fridge without taking from it.

In lieu of beer, Gator-Aide, Power-Aide or Ice Teas (non-alcoholic type) are also welcomed on hot summer days.

A couple dozen Krispy Creams are also welcomed 1st thing in the morning too, in lieu of beer. :)

They are definitely working, although they taste like shit and are a bitch to keep lit! :S

I don't remember you being a smoker.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I'd say buy cases of bottled water or gatorade. It's better to stay hydrated at the dropzone, in lieu of drinking pop.

That's actually a good idea. I'll probably do something like that when I get my A-License.

I can see it now: "Why's that pansy giving out Gatorade?" :P
can do nothing for him."

No, i dont drink or buy beer for religious reasons. I dont critize people for drinking, thats their freedom to do it.

but thats not a bad idea to buy gatorade for everyone.. i think i will do that when i get my A license!!

hopefully soon!!

Remember: on a hot day, popsicles or ice cream can go just as far as beer.;)

Also, not a bad idea. Thanks.
can do nothing for him."

I'd say buy cases of bottled water or gatorade. It's better to stay hydrated at the dropzone, in lieu of drinking pop.

That's actually a good idea. I'll probably do something like that when I get my A-License.

I can see it now: "Why's that pansy giving out Gatorade?" :P

I doubt anyone will consider you a pansy because you don't buy beer. You earned the 'fine', regardless of what you contribute.

Water or anything hydrating is appreciated. So are Otter Pops!!! :)
Buy it, set it on the table, let them know you're paying your dues and have some good conversation.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

So that's where the soda came from last night. I will say that I greatly appreciated the soda. I do drink but at the time I still had a great deal of packing to do and was getting tired of water so it was a great change. And I have never heard anyone give anyone shit for not drinking. The only time I've heard it was when the person was being extremely sarcastic. So thanks for the soda. And congrats again on AFF!!! :)

P.S.-As a packer at the Farm, I'm sure none of us would complain about free water, Gatorade or popsicles on a hot day. ;)

The beer rules are clear: If you don't take beer from beer cases, then you don't have to buy beer. The program is volontary.

Well, close but not quite...

Beer Rules:
http://www.skydiving.org.vt.edu/goodstuff/beer.htm
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

No, I am not trolling.

BTW, the cases of soda was popsjumper's idea.

Your contribution to the well-being and comraderie of the DZ was greatly appreciated, big guy.

AND Congrats on your AFF graduation!
WooooHooooo!

Oh...and as you know...there are several of us here that don't drink. Please don't feel bad about not drinking.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Buy it, set it on the table, let them know you're paying your dues and have some good conversation.

If you're buying gatorade, bring it out in the heat of the day. If the sun's going down, the plane's shutdown, and the party's starting, it's the wrong time to hand me a gatorade.:S:P:D

I quit drinking a few months after I started skydiving in 1980. I never worried too much aboutit and neither did anybody else. Occasionally I would get a "what kind of skydiver are you?" comment ... usually from somebody new. Not a big deal. Don't worry about it. Buy your beer when the time comes...a pop for yourself...and 99% of the jumpers out there will be cool with you.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Gettin' ready to quit smokin' here in a day or so...

Still playin' THAT old fuckin' tune huh Jarhead?! :S:P

If you're quiting then I guess you finally learned how to pack! B|

Sure am, Moses! How bout you? you still puffin' on them things? Care for a double or nothin'?

Pack? Hell I just pay people to do that for me now.:P

Double er nuthin' is a loser for you...the redhead got me some of those patch things.

You sure she didn't hand you the birth control patches?:P
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I am surprised that my fiance hasn't responded to this. He doesn't drink either. When he he had to buy beer, he bought some root beer. He loves that stuff, and aparently so did the dzo.
I don't drink much either. When I buy beer for everyone, I don't drink it.

Your not the only one that doesn't drink. It's good that you don't let anything pressure you into doing something that you don't want top do.I very seldom drink, and I go with friends to to clubs to party, and still have a r4eally good time.
pain is weakness leaving the body