FallingOsh

Changing to a hackey handle

My new dark blue rig has a bright orange pipe sticking out the bottom and I don't like it. I want to change it to hackey, but I don't know what that requires. Can I just cut the plastic off and tie/sew on a hackey handle to the existing piece of cord that holds the plastic on? Preciate it.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

your rigger could sew it on in 5 minutes. I much prefer the hackey handle over the cheap plastic pipe...

and I (sorry to disagree here MB) prefer the pipe. A hackey has a lot of mass, and if is sits outside of the profile of the rig can move around a lot in freefall and work the pilot chute out of it's pouch.

However, as was advised, if you're gonna change it get a rigger to do it, it's not as simple as you made it sound....
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

A real hacky sack is heavy, but not the ones used for handles.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

From my own experience: try to avoid getting your finger stuck in the pipe at pull time... :o

I have a hackey, but I feel a bit uncomfortable with it (sitting outside, exposed to the wind). I'm considering changing it to a freefly handle.

While I agree with you Sid, you gotta think about styley points here... remember, fashion first! ;)

I'd say freefly handle is the best option, for weight and practicality purposes. But if you're going to go with a hackey (which has been jumped over 1000x on my rig w/o a problem) go with a regular one and not a monkey fist. The monkey fists are heavier. Mine's just filled with cotton-like stuffing... don't ask me how I know. :)

From my own experience: try to avoid getting your finger stuck in the pipe at pull time... :o

I agree. Two weeks ago a dude here after changeover to throwout tucked two of his fingers into the pipe and so he was not able to get rid of the pilot chute. Finally he opened his reserve at 2000 ft. Fortunately the main stayed in the container otherwise the situation could be more dangerous...

Robert

Getting fingers stuck in the pipe :o

I'd almost be glad to get that much grip on the damn thing. I've had a couple of fumbled pulls already on plastic-handled throw-outs... I think it's just an impractical shape, no to mention slippery. No worries with the lightweight hacky handles though, so that's what I'm buying.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

A couple corks in the ends solve the errant finger problem for about a buck and with little weight addition. The distinctive shape and feel of the PVC tube make surer of what you're grabbing. A plastic practice golf ball is even better.

Tom

Yup - wine cork inside a PVC handle solves a problem. I like the PVC handle over hackey and monkeyfist due to a less probability of bridle wrapping around the handle.

More INFO in on this mal in this thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1503247#1503247

Pics of MAL in this post: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1503682#1503682

Safe skies!