shah269

Got titanium?

Got titanium?

Just speaking with a number of people in my office I was simply amazed at the number of people who now have titanium bits and pieces in their bodies.
Be it a rod such as I have or a bit of screws and a plate. So I was just wondering who here is…..how shall I put it…upgraded? And for how long have you had these upgrades? :)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I've got two titanium rods, each with a large screw at each end of them, that span my L3-L5 vertebrae. Where my L4 used to be, I am now the proud owner of a Femoral Allograft (thigh bone from a cadaver), effectively fusing my L3, L4, L5 vertebral segments.

I've had them since 6/13/2008 after a landing accident on 6/8 wherein I fractured my back in 7 places.

I've travelled through many airports since then, and never once has a metal detector gone off...

REALLY!
I guess I should have made it a yes no answer?

I think I'll be beeping and beeping good.
Add to it that I'm from Iran and I expect to get my ass grabbed by many a security guards even though it's my shinbone that has a titanium rod.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

All my metal is in my dresser drawer now- haven't decided what to do with it yet. (a couple of plates and some screws......) But when I was actually walking around with it in my leg, I never set off a metal detector anywhere- airport, courthouse, etc. I have no idea if it is titanium or something else.

The rod I'm told is a keeper.
But the two screws can be removed if I so wish.

Are all these skydiving injuries?
What are you guys doing!

They're skydiving. While some people can go their entire skydiving careers without so much as a trip to the hospital, you really ought to know by now that's not always the case.

As for dead dude body parts; in this case it's WAYYYYY fuckin' better to receive than give.

Oh and if all of this is really freaking you out, maybe you should consider the sport you're just now getting into. Seriously, this is a sport in which we pretty much laugh at broken legs because we know what really sucks are ash dives.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Bry the word on the street is that your schlong may be titanium and your whevos may be SS bolts and every time you far you take out targets at 200m.

FYI I'm running the same question on a motorcyle touring forum.
18 votes thus far, 61.1% have a bit of metal in them.
Most due to a bike accident but a number just due to old age.

I so agree with cadaver parts.....I have A LOT of metal in me...Titanium femur rod, with 2 screws(skydiving related).....2 plates and 8 screws in the wrist(non- skydiving)...2 screws in the elbow(non-skydiving) and a plate and 4 screws on the shoulder(non-skydiving)......I've broken a lot of bones and the worst thing ever was when they took a bone graft off my hip to fuse my wrist......I would easily trade that experience off for another broken femur any day.

Don't normally reply in bonfire but my watch, car and helicopter have significant elements of titanium inside them. As for me - it's probably old corregated iron....:D

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

femur rod here.

the only time i ever beeped was when i was on crutches at the airport. I think they are set to not see medical grade titanium or something.

nope. metal detectors usually work via magnetism. titanium (in fact, most metals that don't contain iron) is only very, very weakly magnetic. therefore, no beeping.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."