Jbag

peanut butter past due date

how bad is it if you eat peanut butter after the best if used date, like lets say 2.5months?

Depends a lot on how it's been stored, eh? Is this from a jar kept in the fridge or a sandwich you found behind the sofa?

:D
Owned by Remi #?

I'd eat it.

This is pretty interesting:

"The Food & Drug Administration, which regulates packaged foods and drugs, only requires a use-by, or expiration, date on infant formula."

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/oct2006/db20061002_959305.htm

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

If you eat natural peanut butter, like Smuckers, then it does need to be refrigerated after opening.

I grew up on it, so I always keep my PB in the fridge.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Make a few peanut butter cookies and take them to work. If the coworkers dont go home sick or call in sick the next day then you are safe to finish the jar...:P

You should be fine but make sure it was not on the recall list from 6 months back. ;)

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I've never heard of "death by overripe PB" (allergies don't count)!!! :D:D But you could always be the first :P

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Peanut butter typically does not support bacteria and/or mold growth because of its low moisture content (less than 1%) and high oil content. However, the oils can become rancid over time. When peanut butter become rancid, it develops an odd, oily flavor and odor. There are several factors that contribute to the time it takes for peanut butter to become rancid (i.e temperature, additives, oxygen availability). Basically, if it still tastes and smells okay, its probably still safe to consume, but most peanut butters start to turn rancid after 9 to 12 months under normal conditions.
Refrigeration does help in slowing the rate of rancidity.