The_Don

New Dove commercial.

Haven't seen it. Ask Shah. :ph34r:

I was hoping you had!
Any one got any pictures?

Look I found out last month the "average" size of the "average" girl is 14. So what I consider hot and average and what hot and average are in this new reality usually won't match up.

I would like to blame Opera and her war cry for the BBW.

Of course the average size is 14, the baby boomers are getting older. A good portion of the female population are over 50 and skew the average. Women in their twenties and thirties are still mostly thinnish and medium. I think the commercials are trying to curb a new aging market segment. They are, after all, starting to become one of the largest groups. I do not believe this means that what people define as attractiveness has shifted with the sizing up of the U. S.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The good news for Dove is that you're not the target market for this ad anyway, so they probably aren't that concerned with your reaction to it. I am the target, and this creates a favorable impression to me of Dove as a company and I'd be more likely to consider their products (besides ones I already buy) based on this ad. From that perspective, the commercial works well. :)
Dove has a nice history of this type of advertising/marketing. Of course it's an attempt to sell more product and if Dove didn't feel like it was an effective campaign, they'd stop it. But they've been doing it for 5+ years now so they must be getting results. Personally, I respond much more to this type of stuff than to a campaign that tries to convince me that just by using their product I, too, can look like [insert model/actress/celebrity here].

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm still puzzling over what singing has to do with weight.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Those women might not be "beautiful" in the classical definition. But they seemed happy and confident and thus "beautiful."

There are too many images out there that "define" an unrealistic view of beauty. Those end up pointing out the negatives to the "normal" women. She's too fat. Her eye's are too far apart. She's too ugly. Her smile is too big. She's too..

I think it's nice to have a commercial with happy and confident women, even if they might not be seen as "beautiful" to some.

I'm still puzzling over what singing has to do with weight.:D

I couldn't see the commercial from work...filter on youtube. Will it sell a product? Sure why not.
Did I find any of those women attractive? One was cute.
Can we maybe see them naked? May help things.....or really hurt things.

But you know.....maybe men's deodorant companies need to drop those guy with the full head of hair and the six pack abs and have more normal looking guys as their spokes models. Maybe a fuzzy back and a beer belly and......well a dude that looks like George from Seinfeld!
YEAH! :)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Those women might not be "beautiful" in the classical definition. But they seemed happy and confident and thus "beautiful."

There are too many images out there that "define" an unrealistic view of beauty. Those end up pointing out the negatives to the "normal" women. She's too fat. Her eye's are too far apart. She's too ugly. Her smile is too big. She's too..

I think it's nice to have a commercial with happy and confident women, even if they might not be seen as "beautiful" to some.

Oh for Fuck sake Karen - those women couldn't go past a Bull's corral with out the bull giving the "Loser Sign" and calling them cows!

:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Oh for Fuck sake Karen - those women couldn't go past a Bull's corral with out the bull giving the "Loser Sign" and calling them cows!

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

:P:P:P:P:P

Come on, Turtle. You know that I would defend the devil himself if I thought someone had hurt his feelings. :o:o:o

.. She's too fat. Her eye's are too far apart. She's too ugly ..

She ca'nt spell. ;) She feels the need to wear a helmet in her avatar. [:/]

Her smile is too big.

No, that'd be Nataly. :)

Anyway, all skydiving chicks are gorgeous!
Johan.
I am. I think.

.. She's too fat. Her eye's are too far apart. She's too ugly ..

She ca'nt spell. ;) She feels the need to wear a helmet in her avatar. [:/]

Her smile is too big.

No, that'd be Nataly. :)

Anyway, all skydiving chicks are gorgeous!

I would be very careful using absolutes like that.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

While I appreciate women who are gifted in the physical appearance category; I've become a bit jaded. When I see a woman who is truly gorgeous, I notice and move on. I assume that is all she has going for her. I find that once I talk to them, they become less attractive due to lack of intelligence, education, personality or some such. They try to get by on their looks and that doesn't do it for me.

In the same vein, I find some women become more attractive once you get to know them.

So, the people on the commercial are still virtually unknowns to me. They could get more or less attractive in real life.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

:P:P:P:P:P
Come on, Turtle. You know that I would defend the devil himself if I thought someone had hurt his feelings. :o:o:o

I think you have defended me once or twice?
I don't know....I know guys who say the key to being happily married is to never look at a good looking girl or to ever go to a strip club.

I think it's their wives telling them this and maybe this is the kind of person who made this commercial. She's a little rubenesque, has a thing for wearing Yoga pants, has declared her self to be BBW and doesn't want her husband to ever see what the other side looks like so she won't have to buy a gym membership.

You know the same kind of women who have taken over my favorite TV shows and are now tying down Americas best bachelors (Barnie and Charlie) to show men that being tied down is an ok thing....like peeing on an electric fence!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

While I appreciate women who are gifted in the physical appearance category; I've become a bit jaded. When I see a woman who is truly gorgeous, I notice and move on. I assume that is all she has going for her. I find that once I talk to them, they become less attractive due to lack of intelligence, education, personality or some such. They try to get by on their looks and that doesn't do it for me.

In the same vein, I find some women become more attractive once you get to know them.

So, the people on the commercial are still virtually unknowns to me. They could get more or less attractive in real life.

Can't Fix Stupid!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Can't Fix Stupid!

But if she is hot, you sure can ignore it!

So not doing it for me!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OEWNrlUA7Gc/Rn65V_Dz4mI/AAAAAAAAASI/Mw_SlkmmIVI/s400/brazil-yogurt-3.jpg

http://drdeborahserani.blogspot.com/2007/06/brazil-yogurt-shames-large-women.html
OK i've live in south america and if you girls thing I'm bad when it comes to some of the rude things I say....oh wait till you hear what some Latin guys will say.

Is it reverse discrimination to say someone is pretty?

Don, maybe we shouldn't react negatively to your thread. Praising people for being attractive on the outside seems just as shallow as calling people ugly.

Sorry i called you an ass.

All is good brother. Make your way down to the St Pats boogie & we'll knock back a few beers.

Edit cuz I cannot type! :S
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!