millertimeunc

Any airplane owners out there?

> I want something fun, relatively inexpensive to own, aerobatic, IFR
>capable, and with an extra seat for a passenger. I'm thinking about a 2
>seat Pitt's Special.

Not sure if you could call a Pitts a good IFR platform with a straight face.

The old 150 Aerobat is a two seater and is probably a better IFR platform (but also not great due to its light wing loading.) Capable of some aerobatics. And with something like 25,000 built, there are cheap used aircraft available and lots of spare parts.

>just that it gives me some options if I want to take it somewhere and
>the weather gets iffy.

The problem is that with IFR (specifically flight in IMC) you absolutely positively must be current; you can't just fly IFR "when you want to go somewhere and the weather's bad." And that means you have to fly IFR fairly often. If your aircraft is not a good IFR platform you won't fly IFR very often.

I got a couple of tail draggers and they're fun. I wrote an article some years back and it may be helpful if you have never flown one. It was basically written for Cessna's but the same rules apply

(see attachment)
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Matt,
What you want is an RV. Trust me. I bought an RV-4 because I wanted a two seater that was fun/nimble, aerobatic, efficient & well proven. My RV has 150hp Lycoming from a C-172 & it can out climb most jump planes and cruise at 180+mph at 7gph. It's all aluminum & good to +6 -4 G, so it's good for most sport acro maneuvers. It's a VERY responsive and fun airplane to fly as you're sitting right on the longitudinal and lateral axes, plus the visibility out of the canopy is excellent.
A RV-4 isn't the best choice for IFR because of limited panel space and a pretty tight cockpit (especially for somebody your size). RV-6, -7, -9'es with side by side seating make much better IFR platforms, but you lose the centerline seating.
There are almost 7000 RV's flying now (roughly one sixth of all registered experimental aircraft) and there is a very active worldwide RV community. VansAirforce.com is home of the RV forums where you can turn for info and advice from other RV builders and pilots. Every question that I've ever had has been answered immediately by searching the forums.
Next time you're in Raleigh, let me know! You might maaaaaybe just barely fit in the back of my -4, as long as you weight less than 180 we'll be within CG too! If not, I know somebody with an -8 that you'd fit in.
Seeya,
Eric
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

Gyros don't like to be tumbled on a regular basis. Caged gyros are expensive they tell me.

But with the right Pita they're great! :)

I'm told the free-range gyros taste better.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Gyros don't like to be tumbled on a regular basis. Caged gyros are expensive they tell me.

Sheep are sheep! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sheep are sheep! :)

I'm sure if Clay was still here he would tell us each one is special in it's own way.:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm looking at buying a plane in the next few years. I want something fun, relatively inexpensive to own, aerobatic, IFR capable, and with an extra seat for a passenger. I'm thinking about a 2 seat Pitt's Special. Any thoughts/suggestions?

What you just asked is too broad. Based on your criteria, the selection is still wide open. How much are you willing to pay for a plane? Not only that, you will also need to know how much operating cost are you willing to pay? I could go on with a bunch of questions, but I am not going to bore you. I am sure that you get the idea.

Pitt's Specials are a hoot to fly, but it will require a lot of attention. And it is not cheap to operate for sure!

I am currently building a Mustang II in my basement.B|