warpedskydiver

Great Planes

I remember years ago touring a General Dynamics facility and seeing the ejection 'pod' mock up for the F-111.

IIRC, that was for three crew members...A kind of Star Wars escape capsule, long before the movie.

TWO crew members, unless you have Kelly McGillis sitting on your lap.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I remember years ago touring a General Dynamics facility and seeing the ejection 'pod' mock up for the F-111.

IIRC, that was for three crew members...A kind of Star Wars escape capsule, long before the movie.

Wrong branch man...plus, she's batting for the other team now....:o:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Well, there was a Navy version in the original plans for the F-111,
until the Navy pulled out of the project and started the F-14 project.
It had a shorter nose, and shorter wings to fit carriers.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well, yeah, the Tomcat was about 10ft shorter, but both had variable geometry wings, which the F-111's span was just a tad shorter when swept or spread...plus...she's still batting for the other team...:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

One of my favorites, as a kid in the 60s, was the F-104. That was a seriously fast fighter, basicly designed to haul ass and intercept incoming bombers.

So, it turns out that we have some new neighbors where I work (Kennedy Space Ctr.). Starfighters, Inc. operates a fleet of civilian F-104s that will be used in high-altitude research under a contract with NASA, and will be operated out of a hangar at the Shuttle Landing facility. since this is down the road from my office, I cruised over to take a look and have attached this photo. KSC is a pretty cool place to work, but this just made it better.

Info about Starfighters, Inc.
http://www.starfighters.net/News_-_Top.html
I think they're mainly going to be in the business of "Sub-Orbital Spaceflight Training", which pretty much means taking rich guys up for expensive rides and making them puke. I hear there's a lot of money in that.

Still a very cool airplane.

Kevin K.

Well, yeah, the Tomcat was about 10ft shorter, but both had variable geometry wings, which the F-111's span was just a tad shorter when swept or spread...plus...she's still batting for the other team...:D

I think you misunderstood my last line.
The planned Navy F-111 had a shorter nose and shorter wings.
In fact, the reason the F-111 had side-by-side seating was to make it short enough for carrier ops.
The whole project started when someone got the idea that a single a/c could serve both as an USAF bomber, and a Navy fighter.
The Navy finally extricated its self from the project and left it all to USAF.

My all time fave is still and I think always will be the P-51 Mustang. I think it is the sexiest plane ever created and was a major factor in gaining air superiority in the european theater. Fast as all hell for the time period and carried 6 cannons, hell yes. Is there anyone that doesn't like that sound as they fly by with the prop tips exceeding the speed of sound?

Went from design to finished product in only 117 days, pretty awesome.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

My first submission for consideration is not loud, but is certainly proud.

The backstory: (WW2) More than 130,000 Allied aircrew received their initial flight training in Canada under the Commonwealth Air Training Program. This represents more than 50% of all the allied aircrew of all the forces in all the theatres of the conflict. Putting this in perspective, the US trained about 18,000 foreign aircrew.

These young men and women*, (a disproportionate number the sons and daughters of farmers and factory workers), were initially trained on this; the DeHavilland Tiger Moth:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Tiger_Moth

After initial flight-training, pilot candidates were progressed to this (loud radial engines are way cool); the Canadian Car & Foundry Harvard, or in the US, the North American T6 Texan: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/search.php?p=Harvard&Submit=Search

While these aircraft individually may not be considered "great" in the annals of speed, armament, or design sexiness, they live on unparalleled in the hearts and history of so many men and women* when they first "touched the face of God" in flight.

*Women were indeed trained under the program and they served an invaluable role as WAC ferry-pilots from North America to Europe, and later as pilot-instructors in the program.

Anyway, now I'll let you guys get back to the fast-movers... before I get started talking about the Canadian DeHavilland twin and single Otter's, or the Beaver, or the Buffalo, or the..... :)

John

Oh yeah?

Land one on a fuckin' BOAT......AT NIGHT! ;)

Tomcat~ when ya care enough to send the very best! B|

The Tom-grape? Really? The Super Hornet is pretty badass, just not very fast. The old grape was just like picking on the short bus kids. It was fun, and it made you feel good about yourself, but the Tomcat was more suited to fight the likes of the F-4, not 4th Gen fighters.

As the carrier bubbas - unless it's REALLY dark and REALLY crappy wx, you just put the thing on the thing (velocity vector on the approach end) and wait for the colllision. Plus - you never have a crosswind!

Some great aircraft mentioned here. I would like to submit this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-6_intruder A workhorse for the Navy for over 30 years. Retired by age and smarter weapons, but nothing in it's time could deliver more ordnance to our enemies front door, on very short notice, turn around quickly, and do it again.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

>Plus - you never have a crosswind!

On the minus side, no airport I've ever landed at has been going up and down at the time.

Valid.

On the plus side, I've never seen an Air Force base that has 3,000 of your closest friends and only 20 girls.

Air Force still issuing it's officers pajamas?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My all time fave is still and I think always will be the P-51 Mustang. I think it is the sexiest plane ever created and was a major factor in gaining air superiority in the european theater. Fast as all hell for the time period and carried 6 cannons, hell yes.

My in-laws have a friend that owns a pair of those. My mother-in-law actually got me a ride in one of them, no charge.B| Now I can't make mother in law jokes for a decade or two.:S:D
BTW, the P-51, and most American fighters, had Browning .50 caliber machine guns, not cannons, which usually start at 20mm or so (.80 caliber.)

My all time fave is still and I think always will be the P-51 Mustang. I think it is the sexiest plane ever created and was a major factor in gaining air superiority in the european theater. Fast as all hell for the time period and carried 6 cannons, hell yes.

My in-laws have a friend that owns a pair of those. My mother-in-law actually got me a ride in one of them, no charge.B| Now I can't make mother in law jokes for a decade or two.:S:D

BTW, the P-51, and most American fighters, had Browning .50 caliber machine guns, not cannons, which usually start at 20mm or so (.80 caliber.)

And why??

Because they COULD! ;)

They were B.T.W. not the same Ma Deuce .50's people usually think of today.

Browning's aircraft version had a different kinda lube set up, and a rate of fire quite a bit faster that the ground pound-er units.

Don't know if it's still configured that same way, but I knew a guy at Oshkosh that had his Mustang, 99.9% set up as 'factory new'...just needed to install the firing pins! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~