MakeItHappen

Garage extension springs

I haven't had success on the diy forums, so I thought maybe someone here would know.

I have to replace an extension spring on my single piece, swing-up garage door.
It appears that when the door is open the other spring (2 each side) is stretched about 1/2 inch.
One spring broke & HD only had one spring on the shelf. Second one is back-ordered.
I put some counter weights on the door to keep it open, but it is still hard to lift it into place.
I will also put in stops to prevent the door from falling down when I replace the spring.

Does anyone know of a good technique to stretch the spring and how much force it will take to put the new one on?

I want to do this in the morning when the sun illuminates the garage.
I'm thinking a long screwdriver with a helper or suspending weights from the top of the spring, if my brute force arms can't stretch it enough.

I tried to stretch the new spring last night and I can only pull it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I was standing on a screwdriver holding the lower hook and pulled up on the spring. (The lower hook was offset on the edge of the walkway.) The geometry of actual installation gives me a better grip and leverage than that.

Any ideas or tricks?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Call a garage door company before you break your arm or something. I'm serious. Even those guys will have mishap stories about those springs.

They use a wheel or disk with holes on the side of it which may already be on the spring. They put a bar into the hole then pulll down, It is held by the bar then they stick another bar into another available hole ...then they pull the old bar out and rotate the disk another 90 degrees or so until it is wound up.

Call a garage door company before you break your arm or something. I'm serious. Even those guys will have mishap stories about those springs.

They use a wheel or disk with holes on the side of it which may already be on the spring. They put a bar into the hole then pulll down, It is held by the bar then they stick another bar into another available hole ...then they pull the old bar out and rotate the disk another 90 degrees or so until it is wound up.

+1 on that.

It's one of those "If you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it" things.

If you have ever seen one of those springs let go you would understand how much energy they have in them.

A quick search found THIS.

Note the cautions and warnings, and good luck.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

if you do install the spring yourself be sure to include a safety cable that passes through the spring... I had both of the springs in the garage in the duplex I rent break last spring and I'm really glad that my cars or bicycles were not in the garage when it happened as they literally flew across the garage with what seemed to be a substantial force when it happened.

in my situation (since both springs were in pretty bad shape) the owner replaced the extension springs with a coil spring above the door... and boy am I glad as it works soooooo much better with the coil spring.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I don't think she is talking about that type of spring. It sounds to me she is talking about the ones that use a spring with cables that hook to the door and stretches the spring when the door in closing.

Jan, A picture would help but if you only need to stretch the spring a half inch or so I would probably use a racheting tie down strap.

I do a lot of things around the house, but after a torsion bar almost killed me, and a 300-pound garage door almost fell on me, I won't screw around with garage doors anymore; I'll call a pro. And yeah, I had a stop on the door, but it busted. Be careful!
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I do a lot of things around the house, but after a torsion bar almost killed me, and a 300-pound garage door almost fell on me, I won't screw around with garage doors anymore; I'll call a pro. And yeah, I had a stop on the door, but it busted. Be careful!

The potential energy in one of those springs is very high... it's very important to be careful...

I like to tinker around the house, car, etc but I would leave that sort of thing to someone with more experience then I as well...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Yep, my spring broke this summer and after I looked up the part cost plus shipping since it was back ordered at Lowes and HD and since the spring cost was $45 plus 3 days for shipping, the estimated time to repair was an hour and needed 2 people to do it plus the danger of removing the spring that was still under tension and then having to install and tension both springs again I called for and estimate. The company quoted me right at $100 and they had the part in stock and would be at my house in 30-45 minutes... it was a no brainer and I paid to have it done and I've never paid for a contractor for anything on this house - roof, tile, hardwood floors, plumbing, etc. They had special tools to tension it and ran safety wires that were lacking before.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You guys are thinking torsion springs, not extension springs.
Torsion springs are a job for the pros.

This is a simple extension spring replacement. The only hard part is stretching the spring to the fixtures.
And all extension springs made today have internal cables that prevent the spring from careening through the garage when it breaks.
The one that broke did not go anywhere. It was when I tried to open the door the next time that I noticed it was broken. It was a bitch to get the door up and propped open, but very doable. After I put on the counterweights, it was not that much different than with the springs all working.

Found out just now that the replacement part that I bought is not correct. The hooks at each end are 90 degrees offset. I need a spring with the hooks inline. Part of that error came from not being able to read one letter of the label on the existing springs.

It looks like I'll have to stretch it about an inch total to clear the hook over the retainer.

Also - this is a one-piece door, not one that is segmented and rolls up on a track.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Now you tell me.[:/]
After one of my torsion springs broke a few months ago,
I found online instructions, ordered 2 new springs and the levers,
and replaced them myself for $75.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This is a simple extension spring replacement. The only hard part is stretching the spring to the fixtures.

Yeah, well, I'm thinking extension springs, and I'm still with these guys. I was inside my garage when one broke, and yes the cable retained most of it, but a chunk of it about an inch long broke clean off and flew across the garage, hitting the opposite wall loud and hard. God know what the muzzle velocity of that thing was, but I'm glad (and lucky) my face wasn't downrange. I'm telling you, they're nothing to f**k with if you're not a pro.

it's a pretty dangerous job, lots of energy in those springs. i have multi piece door and i called a pro to fix it.;)

Yep. I do a lot of home improvement work and that is one thing I won't touch.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Jan, there are often a couple spacer blocks under the header that the door comes to rest against when the door is open. It prevents the door from opening too far past dead center. If you remove the blocks, the door can settle further back into the garage and reduce the distance you need to stretch the spring. If that doesn't work, using a large c-clamp type of vice grip can help pull the hook on the spring closer to the clip that holds the spring to the door mechanism.

(used to work in a hardware store and got taught a few tricks)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Jan, there are often a couple spacer blocks under the header that the door comes to rest against when the door is open. It prevents the door from opening too far past dead center. If you remove the blocks, the door can settle further back into the garage and reduce the distance you need to stretch the spring. If that doesn't work, using a large c-clamp type of vice grip can help pull the hook on the spring closer to the clip that holds the spring to the door mechanism.

(used to work in a hardware store and got taught a few tricks)

Thanks.
That gave me the distance I needed.
Turns out that the hooks can be rotated. They are independent.
So I rotated them to be inline.
Hooked the bottom one on and used the eyelet holes for leverage to extend the spring with a screw driver.
New spring in. Door works fine. Cost $18. Time spent about 1/2 hour.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker