SkyChimp

College Football - BCS National Championship

Alabama crushed Miss State!!!!!!

Bama vs. Florida will be a good game!

I wouldn't say crushed but the did good. Alabama's key player is Marquis Johnson. He stopped the points for MissSt last night.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

I'm still getting a kick out of seeing Cincinnati on the rise. I went there 95-99 and during that time even homecoming only filled half the stadium. I think it would be a joke for them to play for the championship considering their schedule, but if Coach Kelly stays around and they have a few more 10+ win seasons and those seasons include some tougher competitors they may just get there.

I think they have a very good team this year. But the reality is that money drives a lot of this, and they simply don't generate it. In last year's Orange Bowl, they were still trying to sell tickets in Cincinnati December 31st. And the game's tv share was lousy too. It takes a long time to create a fan base willing ot spend big bucks in mass numbers. It requires a football tradition, and UC doesn't have one. Yet.
Tom B

In honor of the three dumb ass Tennessee Vols football players who were arrested for armed robbery, I give you this.

:D

Story link: http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10357752/3-Vols-frosh-charged-in-attempted-armed-robbery

Can you believe it??? They were in a Toyota Prius!!! :D:D:D:D

Heard this on radio morning show this AM and had to laugh.:)"I guess SEC football players aren't making as much money as they used to." :D:D:D

Alabama crushed Miss State!!!!!!

Bama vs. Florida will be a good game!

I wouldn't say crushed but the did good. Alabama's key player is Marquis Johnson. He stopped the points for MissSt last night.

Yes he did, and he's not even a starter! He's just one player on a VERY talented defense. Opposing teams try to pick on him because he was susceptible in the past. Not anymore. He also batted away 3 consecutive passes to the same corner of the end zone in the South Carolina game. That was the best Steve Spurrier could come up with??? :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I dont think Florida or Bama will lose any remaining games before the SEC championship game. That will make the SEC just as exciting as the BCS itself.

True. However, it just means that Florida vs Alabama in the SEC title game will be the game of the year, maybe game of the decade, at least until the national championship game. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
And songs to Alma Mater raise
While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
Time and change will surely (truly) show
How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

Go Bucks!!!

It takes a long time to create a fan base willing ot spend big bucks in mass numbers. It requires a football tradition, and UC doesn't have one. Yet.

You answered your own question..

Yep, most of the bowls that have some leeway in choosing teams will more often than not, pick the one that presents the most attractive match-up or brings the most fans.

Look at the Fiesta Bowl, they can choose between Penn State, Wisconsin and Iowa. Even though Iowa beat PS on the road, the Fiesta Bowl is more likely to pick Penn State. Sure going to piss off a lot of Iowa folks though, but that's the reality.

It takes a long time to create a fan base willing to spend big bucks in mass numbers. It requires a football tradition, and UC doesn't have one. Yet.

You answered your own question..

I didn't even ask one. But speaking of BUCKS, by chance did I see your glum face in West Lafayette on Oct 17th? ;)

One must stretch these rare moments out when a Boilermaker.
Tom B

Did anybody watch the Ole Miss/LSU game? Holy shit! It was like deja vu for me, sweating the last minute of the Alabama/Tennessee game.

LSU fucked it all up in the last 20 seconds. Game time management went way out the window there. :S 4th and 26 with 19 seconds to go, somehow no timeout got called and time ran down to 9 seconds. Then LSU threw for a 1st down at the 6 yard line with 1 second left. I thought oh man here we go, they're sending the field goal unit out. Then all of a sudden LSU's trying to line up and down the ball to stop the clock! Hello???? There was 1 second left! You blew that last second off! Game over!

Les Miles is a nutcase.

even though they didn't have a time-out left, couldn't they have called one to stop the clock, take the penalty and kick a field goal

The way it ended up was after the 43 yard pass to get to the 6 yard line, the clock stopped at 1 second, and the way the rules are set this year, the clock will start as soon as the ball has been set by the official or as soon as the teams get lined up, not sure exactly which. It used to be the clock would start as soon as the ball is snapped, but that lengthened the game enough that too many plays were made, so the NCAA changed the rules.

I guess LSU just ran out of time. But they fucked up on the 3rd down play with the clock.

even though they didn't have a time-out left, couldn't they have called one to stop the clock, take the penalty and kick a field goal

The way it ended up was after the 43 yard pass to get to the 6 yard line, the clock stopped at 1 second, and the way the rules are set this year, the clock will start as soon as the ball has been set by the official or as soon as the teams get lined up, not sure exactly which. It used to be the clock would start as soon as the ball is snapped, but that lengthened the game enough that too many plays were made, so the NCAA changed the rules.

I guess LSU just ran out of time. But they fucked up on the 3rd down play with the clock.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thinking about the one second left. Would the center
have had enough sense to snapped the ball right
when the clock started time in, if the field goal team was lined up. I doubt it. That third down play did LSU in as far as time and the end of the game.

One of LSU's players should have played hurt or caused a personal foul and gotten an official time out.

Also, Ole Miss should have been southern gentlemen and given LSU one of their time outs!

Never saw a post game interview as funny as the one the Ole Miss coach gave.:D

I have to get out my bag I made after losing to Kentucky a couple years ago. see pic.

Fuck Ole Miss

Just saw this trick pass play by Bethel College. Pretty damned cool. Who'd ever thought you could get away with a toss like that? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dvudjCaav0

Edited to add: video's a little grainy but the QB took the snap, turned around and tossed the football up and over his shoulder behind him towards the end zone blind.

Just saw this trick pass play by Bethel College. Pretty damned cool. Who'd ever thought you could get away with a toss like that? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dvudjCaav0

Edited to add: video's a little grainy but the QB took the snap, turned around and tossed the football up and over his shoulder behind him towards the end zone blind.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Nice play!
If they praticed a lot I'm sure they got pretty good
on the track of the ball. Kind of like the circus
blindfolded knife thrower:S

I'm a number cruncher of sorts, when I want to be... I was looking over the stats of the top three teams (Florida, Alabama and Texas), especially the defenses.

What I found wasn't surprising. It reinforces why those are the top three teams in the nation.

On Defense,
Team: Points allowed: Rank: PPG: Rank:
Florida...108...............1........9.8....1
Alabama.109...............2........9.9....2
Texas....146..............T-6.....13.3...7

Team: Total yards: Rank: YPG: Rank:
Florida...2528..........2......229.8...2
Alabama.2477..........1......225.2...1
Texas....2636..........4......239.6...4

Team: Rush yards: Rank: RYPG: Rank:
Florida.....996..........6.......90.5.....6
Alabama...776.........2.......70.5.....2
Texas......561.........1........51.0.....1

Team: Pass yards: Rank: PYPG: Rank: Efficiency: Rank: Interceptions: Rank:
Florida.....1532........1.....139.3...1........86.1.........2..........18............T-7
Alabama...1701........4.....154.6...5........82.5.........1..........18............T-7
Texas......2075.......24.....188.6..22.......97.3.........9...........20.............3

Statistically on offense for the QBs, Colt McCoy of Texas is having the best year with over 3000 yards passing while Tebow and McElroy of Florida and Alabama have nearly identical stats - 1900+ yards, 14 TDs and 4 Ints apiece. However, Texas is a pass first run second team. The SEC is typically the opposite, though Florida can gun it just as well if they can. Both Alabama and Florida rank in the top 10 or so in rushing offense. Alabama has Mark Ingram and Florida has Tim Tebow, and both teams have incredible talent at RB.

The SEC championship game could very well come down to the final drive. Both teams look very even on paper. Of their common opponents, Alabama has beaten some worse than Florida and vice versa. Some say Florida is the team to beat, and I agree. They have won 21 straight games. Maybe, hopefully, Alabama has the psychological edge, as they are coming in with a chip on their shoulders. Before the season started, the main goal they wanted to accomplish was to dominate the 4th quarter, something they didn't do all last year. They have mostly succeeded at that this year.

I'm not exactly sure just how good Texas is. Because they play in the pass-happy Big 12, their stats look different, but I bet that they will show up more than ready to play, better than Oklahoma did last year.

However, the season's not over yet. All three have one regular season game left, against their biggest rivals Thanksgiving weekend, and if all win, then they'll play for their conference championships WITH a national title berth on the line - Texas vs Nebraska, and Alabama vs Florida. Nebraska has one of the best defenses in the nation as well, but their offense doesn't always show up. You never know, but I fully expect Texas to beat them, just because of what happened to them last year.

As for Alabama and Florida, I'm pulling for Alabama, of course, but could I predict a winner? Hell no. Whoever does win, will represent the SEC nicely in the BCS championship game.

And if Texas should slip up and lose, Texas Christian University is currently 4th in the nation and is a very complete team. They may be a bit hard to gauge due to the conference they play in, but they could very well slip into the title game if things fall their way.

Edited to add: don't get me started on Cincinnati and Boise State. If they both run the table in the regular season undefeated, you're looking at up to 5 teams with perfect records going into the bowls. If that happens, look for the playoff argument to begin anew. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling Pitt will beat UC.

Great football year for all my teams, so far. All have perfect seasons.

Lakeland Dreadnaughts Regular 11-0 Playoffs 2-0
Florida Gators 12-0 (7 Dreadnaughts on this team)
Buccaneers 1-8

Wait!.....I guess that single win did screw up the Bucs perfect season. Oh well, I guess you can't lose 'em all!:P

not that it matters in the BCS games but do some stats on Clemson and CJ Spiller, 19 carries for 48 yards

the ACC team finally played a team that has an SEC defense and the motivation to win

USC 34 Clemson 17, Clemson was favored by 3
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

not that it matters in the BCS games but do some stats on Clemson and CJ Spiller, 19 carries for 48 yards

the ACC team finally played a team that has an SEC defense and the motivation to win

USC 34 Clemson 17, Clemson was favored by 3

Yep, I saw part of that game and the speed of SC's Defense really gave Clemson fits. To his credit, Spiller did take a kick back for a TD. That's about all he can do against SEC teams.... :ph34r: