margylynn

Infinity + Scotchguard = Bad Idea

Yesterday I posted my dilemma with my brand new Infinity and what happened after Scotchguarding it - a cloudy film that makes my container look as if it has been sitting in the sun all summer long. Yesterday, Velocity told me to wash it in a front loading washing machine with Woolite. I did and it looks exactly the same - like crap. I was so excited to get my new container, and now I'm embarrassed to put it on. I'd rather just keep my old Dolphin, considering how bad my new Infinity looks. So, take this as a warning if you're an owner of a new Infinity.[:/]

Why don't you e-mail Kelly or PM him (KellyF) and talk to him. Most likely he'll want you to mail him the rig to look at it.

Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people have scotchguarded rigs for the past 10 years successfully, there has to be a different variable in your situation. Such as the kind of scotchguard, how much you put on, etc.

I seriously doubt its the rig manufacture's fault, since Cordura is cordura (for the most part).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I thought the conclusion of the other thread was that:
Rig + shit load of scotchguard in one application = Bad idea... not that it had that much to do with your rig being an infinity... which is made with the same material as most other rigs out there.

?

My fiance, who has been skydiving for 10 years, Scotchguarded my container. He has done the same with his own gear over the years and has never had a problem. He did one of his rigs with the same can of Scotchguard as mine, and his turned out fine. So, it's not the Scotchguard, and it's not the way he did it. I know it doesn't make any sense, but it is what it is.

, it's not the Scotchguard, and it's not the way he did it. I know it doesn't make any sense, but it is what it is.

I'm afraid it probably is.

I've applied Scotchguard to all three of my Infinities, my Mirage, and My Reflex. They all came out fine. Also worked in a loft for a few years where we did just about every new rig to come in. The key is several light coats and letting it dry properly.

It's pretty bold of you to single out VSE online and give them public grief over your mistake. The products used to build your container are the same as any manufacturer would use, and applying a product like Scotchguard is not usually a manufacturer recomended or endorsed activity.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I wouldn't scotch guard a rig unless the manufacturer endorses it in the owners manual. Not sure if they do or not - I just wash my rig every couple of years. I don't want it too clean - nothing wrong with a rig that shows that it is being jumped lots.

rm

It sucks when something goes wrong with new gear especially when it is owner caused issues. Once again it looks like Velocity sports is doing a stand up job with customer service. I mean a customer makes a mistake and the company is still right there trying to fix it for them. I gotta hand it to Kelly and Velocity they are one class act and I would buy their products any day again.
Kirk

What color was the top on the Scotchguard can.

I have used the Red top on all of my Infinities.. and had no issue on my predominitely Red rigs with white trim.

Definitely get the rig back to Kelly and the crew at Velocity.. you will not find better customer service.

Thank you to all of you who express sympathy and understanding. I'm not trying to badmouth Velocity, they have been very good to me through this whole thing, but I want to make others aware so that it doesn't happen to them.

I did use the Scotch Guard in the can with the red lid (the exact same can my finance used on his rig which turned out fine).

Well not that I am in any way an expert but I know that if you put way to heavy of a coat on it will leave a white film on the fabric. Hell that is easy enough to test if that was it. Just take a can of Scotchguard and spray a very heavy coat on some fabric and see.
Kirk

I can't help but to think something is missing from this equation

It would be interesting to know if the can of ScotchGaurd is still around, then they could test the fabric with the actual stuff used on it.

Somewhere there's a combination of things that made this happen and it would be neat if everything could be tested.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

for what it's worth, i just got a new infinity, lots of black, and scotchguarded it with no problems. three light coats, about an hour or so between. i'd like to hear what the problem was..
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I used too much on a rig of mine and it turned my black rig grey. The directions say light coats, so I soaked it on the advice of a rigger. After confering with the manufacturer I took it to a dry cleaner and they sprayed it with the cleaning fluid that evaporates quickly. It looks fine now and the cleaning fluid does not hurt the cordura. Only do this on the advice of the manufacturer, not your rigger, the factory knows the makeup of the materials better than your rigger will.