SkyCoi

Mid-Air Collision - Boulder, Co.

Some names are out in the press (not official):

Joan Pallone of Broomfield, who declined to comment when contacted by The Denver Post, told the Duluth (Minn.) News-Tribune that two of the victims were her brother-in-law, Bob Matthews, and his brother, Mark.

Blue Skies.

The glider pilot, identified by a family member as Reuben Bakker, touched down at Boulder Municipal Airport about 3 miles southeast of the crash site with his two passengers, a woman and her 11-year-old son.

Thank god for that!

Still looking for the name of the glider pilot.

Riddler, it says the pilots name is reuben bakker.
My photos

My Videos

Thanks for pointing out my error. I meant to say I'm looking for the full name of the tow-plane pilot, who died, and is our fellow Colorado skydiver/BASE jumper/wingsuit pilot. Please post his full name when it's publicly available (after family concerns are notified, of course).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The best lessons I learned while getting my cert were taught on my practical exam. The DE was ex-Air Force and since we had lots of time left he took me through the entire maneuver sequence, including recovery from unusual attitudes, with the panel covered. That alone caused me to fly "outside the cockpit" far more than anything anyone else had ever told me.

My sympathy to the victims, their families, and their friends.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I have had a few near misses. One close one that if I hadn't turned quick would have been a hit. Since then(25 yrs ago) when I'm cruising below 3,000' I fly at off altitudes, 1700", 2300", 2800" etc. cause everyone is at 1500", 2000" 2500". Other rules apply above 3000" AGL.

I have had a few near misses. One close one that if I hadn't turned quick would have been a hit. Since then(25 yrs ago) when I'm cruising below 3,000' I fly at off altitudes, 1700", 2300", 2800" etc. cause everyone is at 1500", 2000" 2500". Other rules apply above 3000" AGL.

It sounds like you have it backwards. Above 3000' AGL we assign cardinal altitudes, even N and W-bound, odd S and E-bound, +500 for VFR and OTP. Below 3000' AGL there is no specified or recommended altitude, just what ever works. I often use, below 3000 AGL, any multiple of 100' that suits my purpose for IFR traffic.

It sounds like you have it backwards. Above 3000' AGL we assign cardinal altitudes, even N and W-bound, odd S and E-bound, +500 for VFR and OTP. Below 3000' AGL there is no specified or recommended altitude, just what ever works. I often use, below 3000 AGL, any multiple of 100' that suits my purpose for IFR traffic.

all irrelevant if you are climbing/descending or in towing operations.
Alex had the right of way. PERIOD.

More and more light planes are being equipped with TCAS to help prevent collisions. Not uncommon on even a small SR20. Not a substitute for good piloting, but a good aid.

Unfortunately TCAS (Traff. Collision Avoidance System) will not show an aircraft unless it has a functioning Mode C transponder that is turned "on." Even more unfortunate is the fact that some pilots flying TCAS-equipped planes do not know this. Also the information from TCAS is not "real time."

I would not be surprised if the tow plane did not have a Mode C transponder which is prefectly legal. IMHO pilots who rely upon the TCAS system for collision avoidance even when their aircraft is so equipped should not be flying. I have never heard of a glider carrying a Mode C transponder although I am sure some do.

Even more scary: it is perfectly legal to fly in the traffic pattern of an untowered airport w/o a radio -- therefore obviously no position announcements would be made. So... "Look Out!" folks.

LS

Flying without comms is as stupid as jumping and not looking where others are.

Someone will die.:|

I assume you mean communications. i agree but... i have found, it is the norm at small airports, not to have active communications. many LSA (light sport aircraft) do not have radios, and a portion of the ones that do, either dont have them on, are not operational, or set to the right frequency. then, they actually have to be listening.

i often get, "wow, you have a radio in that thing?" when calling in my approach and small airports, from other pilots, when flying my weight shift trike. i would not fly with out one, and i am actually getting a second radio as back up and scanning.

Probably half the traffic at the airport we jump at is NORDO. It's just the way it is.

I'm guessing they are the same type person that thinks a Helmet law will save all bikers!

Probably half the traffic at the airport we jump at is NORDO. It's just the way it is.

I'm guessing they are the same type person that thinks a Helmet law will save all bikers!

i would agree. i have had a few near misses. well, a aircraft that felt too close. one example...i repeatedly announced "flight of two ultralights...." followed by our location... As I am doing my head on a swivel scan I see a cesna coming up fast on my 5 oclock. finally i just said, "Cesna inbound for Hesperia, do you ultralight traffic in site?" "WHAT! WHERE!" ..."look out your left window, I am waving at you" "oh,...thanks,,,sorry"

or better yet. I am sitting behind the owner of the airport, in line for take off. this guy keeps calling his pattern for runway 21...but he is coming in the wrong direction, on runway 3. Finally i say..."dont you mean runway 3?" "OH SHIT! ABORTING APPROACH, Going around for runway 21." the owner then click on and asked if he had his airport info book upside down.

i would agree. i have had a few near misses. well, a aircraft that felt too close. one example...i repeatedly announced "flight of two ultralights...." followed by our location... As I am doing my head on a swivel scan I see a cesna coming up fast on my 5 oclock. finally i just said, "Cesna inbound for Hesperia, do you ultralight traffic in site?" "WHAT! WHERE!" ..."look out your left window, I am waving at you" "oh,...thanks,,,sorry"

or better yet. I am sitting behind the owner of the airport, in line for take off. this guy keeps calling his pattern for runway 21...but he is coming in the wrong direction, on runway 3. Finally i say..."dont you mean runway 3?" "OH SHIT! ABORTING APPROACH, Going around for runway 21." the owner then click on and asked if he had his airport info book upside down.

YET, Yoru Own Intelgence (sp?):$ saved you.....not soem damn machine, law or radar!

According to part 105, jump pilots are required to get traffic advisories prior to jumping.

Unfortunately TCAS (Traff. Collision Avoidance System) will not show an aircraft unless it has a functioning Mode C transponder that is turned "on."

It doesn't have to be Mode C, just a 4096 transponder. Of course, traffic info would not include altitude, just distance and azimuth.

Mode C is required for any flight 10,000 MSL (not AGL) and above in the U.S. FAR part 91. For a plane based in Colorado, that would be quite limiting. However, tow planes and crop dusters do usually stay fairly low.

Unfortunately TCAS (Traff. Collision Avoidance System) will not show an aircraft unless it has a functioning Mode C transponder that is turned "on."

It doesn't have to be Mode C, just a 4096 transponder. Of course, traffic info would not include altitude, just distance and azimuth.

Mode C is required for any flight 10,000 MSL (not AGL) and above in the U.S. FAR part 91. For a plane based in Colorado, that would be quite limiting. However, tow planes and crop dusters do usually stay fairly low.

i wondered why the new Light Sport Pilot cert. limited us to 10,000 or below, this is probably a reason. Although you can go higher if....and as i read it, no Mode C trans required?

"Sport Pilots can now fly above 10,000 feet above sea level or if they need to be over terrain or mountains above 10,000 feet AGL or 2000 above ground level, whichever is higher. The 2000 feet above ground level was added allowing Sport Pilots to fly over 10,000 feet MSL to safely get over high mountains. Note: If any pilot flies over 12,500 feet for more than 30 minutes, supplemental oxygen is required per § 91.211. The over 10,000 new rule is in Title 14 CFR § 61.315 Privileges and limits of the sport pilot certificate."

these are new changes "Now published to the Federal Register February 1, 2010 Title 14 CFR Part 43, 61, 91, and 141.
To be effective April 2, 2010."

Yes, there has always been a provision to fly above 10,000 msl if you're still within 1200 feet of the ground, in other words, close to the terrain in a mountainous area. The idea being that high speed commercial traffic, especially jets, shouldn't be that close to the ground anyway. You say that's been bumped to 2000' agl for the sport pilots? News to me but I certainly don't doubt it.

100% disagree.

1-fly the airplane
2-look outside
3-navigate
4-talk on the radio.

this coming from a 1000hr com/ins/multi/gli pilot who lost his bes friend to possibly someone not paying attention.

the radio means 5% of what looking around does.