cocheese

too old to snow board?

He will do just fine. I am going to give him a verbal lesson via the phone...:D

jeff, I told you you should have let me teach you in when you were in visiting that one time...:D

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

l learned at 52 yrs old. I would recommend that you learn on a soft base. The falls are far more abrupt than on skis. Beginner falls are straight out of the cartoons where the victim is held by the ankles and slammed first one way then the opposite. The reason for a soft base is that your elbows/wrists/butt/shoulders/head will hit fast and hard. It is a lot nicer to hit something that will compress 4-6 inches.

btw... As far as being easier on the knees... Don't believe it for a second! You are locked into an awkward position and will probably feel some real pain after your first couple sessions.

If you are looking for easy-on-the-body try Telemark. Far easier on every part of the body with the new equipment but until you get good anybody looks like a poser freeheeling on lift service.

jon

This.

I'm a skier, never boarded, don't want to. Something about my legs being separated. ;) A good friend of mine was an accomplished skier when she gave boarding try. Broke her coccyx on her first lesson. (she was 28 at the time) Advice? Stay on the bunny hill, stick to powder and do it safely: wear protection:P:D

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

I'm going to do it! Tomorrow. Going to wear all the pads i wear on the ice motorcycle plus a full face skydiving helmet, and a back brace belt. I don't have wrist guards, but will look for some.:)

Tow rope/ bunny hill only til I can out ride any kid on the hill.:P

Calling Deedy tonight for a lesson.:)
wish me luck [:/]:)

A 65 year old women went to snowboard lessons with me. Wear WRIST GUARDS I shattered the bones in my wrist, and severely damaged the other wrist - only discovered wrist guards in the emergency room.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

There is a small ski hil nearby. Mt. Holly.
It's too slow for this skydiver on skis, but it would be the perfect place to learn to snow board.

Should i skip the pain and agony and wait for the dz to open or give it a shot?

Those under 40 need not reply.:P

Don't be a pussy. Go snow board.

But don't go trying to be shaun white just yet.
Just like skydiving you can learn to safely snowboard.

You wouldn't go jump a 79sqft canopy and try to swoop on your first jump so don't try the equivalent on the board.
My photos

My Videos

I tried snowboarding a couple of times... never before did I end up sooo cold, wet and in pain as the end of those two days. I recall trying to hug a wood-burning stove trying to get warm and dry.

Snow board be the Devil's Tool!!

I don't know how those kids you see ridding them and in the Olymics too now on them do it!??! It must be the pot. :D

:P

The falls are far more abrupt than on skis.

That's what I found when trying a board for a few days. On skis (when already knowing to ski) one can 'catch' oneself enough to lessen the impact. On a board, one moment everything is fine, next moment your head and shoulder are slamming on the snow.

One time years ago I took my skydiving Protec along since I didn't have another helmet available. The original Dytter on it would go off if I slammed the ground. "*&^$# yeah I know, I already bounced."

I was in a class recently and on the first day we all introduced ourselves, mentioning our interests, etc. and one young guy said he was into, "Any and all board sports." Took me a bit to figure that out, LOL . . .

When I was a kid the closest we came to "board sports" was a 2 x 4, a milk crate, and roller skate taken apart for front and back wheels . . .

NickD :)

I learned when I was 43, never having skied. Had a blast, and enjoyed it. Ten years ago my dog tripped me and took out my knee and I've never been back 'boarding. Each winter I say this is the year I get in shape enough to go out and play, but it's more a physical fitness thing with me, not that I don't think I could do it again.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

Go for it!

My first lesson was a couple of weeks ago at a small ski club in the Zagros mountains above the village of Fereydoun Shahr in Iran. A great experience, but harder than I expected (especially hiking up the bunny hill at 10,000 ft. asl.) Cheap too.

Age? 63.