skydiver30960

Guys, can you really "retrain your beard?"

I've heard from people that whenever you change shaving methods (from traditional razor to electric, or vice versa) that it takes time for your beard to "retrain" to the new shaving style. Do you agree? Or is it just that it takes you a while to learn the new method as well as you knew your old method? Or do you just take a while to adjust to the new standard of what is a "smooth" shave?

I ask because for most of my life I've been an "against the grain" shaver. I've never felt I could get a close shave with the grain. But I'm finally biting the bullet to see if shaving with the grain for an extended period of time will somehow make a difference. Whenever I'm shaving against the grain, if I try it more than every third day or so I'm a bloody mess.

Weigh in...

Elvisio "no more little bits of TP on my face, please" Rodriguez

Against the grain is horrible for your face.

I use a Merkeur safety razor with Feather blades. Art of Shaving pre-shave oil and traditional shaving soap and apply with a badger hair brush. With the grain, only using the weight of the razor.

Its the best shave I've ever had. Actually, I'm really mad that I didn't start shaving like this 10 years ago. I used to get really bad razor burn, but now I don't and I enjoy shaving.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The trick is to start really early and develop your own method.

Nice try...Pillow biter has a pic of you shavin' with a busted ashtry using motor oil for shaving cream! B|

You were out of feathers again, huh?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The gerbils hid them!

Then stop using the squirrel so much . . . I know he likes the tail - but damn - you'll wear the little guy out!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

As a kid, I started using cream and disposable razor. Hated it and went to electric. Never liked it, but it was better than the other option. When visiting my brother, borrowed a better quality razor and a wonderful cream. Found out how nice a shave can be. Now I use Kiss My Face shave cream. I have a thick beard and can shave with or against the grain. Never will go back to electric.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I always go with the grain. However, I've found that if you shave first with the grain, then re-apply creme and go against the grain, (gently), it's the ultimate smoothness ;)

+1....and +100 on the (gently)!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Never will go back to electric.

I have a top of the Braun and it's better than any razor I've used...ya gotta know how to clean it and change the foil & blade a few times a year, most guys think an electric is a hedge trimmer and service it the same way. :S

If ya get a good electric and use it right, it's great...of course that can be said about a lotta things. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I always go with the grain. However, I've found that if you shave first with the grain, then re-apply creme and go against the grain, (gently), it's the ultimate smoothness ;)

+1....and +100 on the (gently)!

i'm on board with the "with the grain first, then against the grain" method as well. this technique also works well in the chest and balls.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

No idea how this can work, but yes - I do believe you can effectively retrain your beard.

Electric razor manufacturers seem to think so too. I've seen references in manuals to how your shave will improve as your beard and/ or skin 'gets used to' your new razor.

I learned a long time ago that the way to avoid razor burn & bumps (ingrown hairs) is to shave with the grain, always. Maybe a light little crosswind on the cleanup, but that's it. Close shaves are for the pussy-whipped. Anyone who's offended by a 5 o'clock shadow at 5:00 can bite my ass.

Hi div96-with-little-bits-of-TP-on-the-face!!
Doesn't matter electric or blade, first ya' gotta get the beard soft!! 'Only way I can shave without my face feeling like fresh hamburger is to shave right out of the shower. If my face is dry, no cream, lotion or oil will soften that wire called my beard enough! I use those Schick Slim Twins ST2 and what ever shave cream I have. Works good.

Heard about some lady once instead of singeing the hairs off a plucked chicken she used her husbands razor. So now they have the Men's Schick, the Lady's Schick and the Chicken Schick!!:ph34r::D;)

SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out