jacketsdb23

Picked Up Dog From Breeder...sick w/in 24 hours

[replyAnd on top of that they wanted several hundred for the dog.

Thats because most people working for rescue organizations are working for free and need funding to come in to help pay for food, medical care, facilities for the not-yet-adopted dogs. I would have no problem paying that money to help out other animals and people at rescue organizations. This is not directed at you, I'm just saying...I would rather pay several hundred for a rescue dog than several hundred for a breeder dog.

On the topic of breeders dogs, many of those breeds have been bred to death, so to speak...more than ever breeder labradors have hip dysplasia, more than ever, bulldogs have bad skin diseases and respiratory problems, more then ever, cocker spaniels have cherry eye, and this list can go on and on... You are better off getting a mix from the pound because in many 'genetic' cases, a pound puppy mix is probably healthier.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

On the topic of breeders dogs, many of those breeds have been bred to death, so to speak...more than ever breeder labradors have hip dysplasia, more than ever, bulldogs have bad skin diseases and respiratory problems, more then ever, cocker spaniels have cherry eye, and this list can go on and on... You are better off getting a mix from the pound because in many 'genetic' cases, a pound puppy mix is probably healthier.

A good breeder will test for these conditions and not breed dogs that have them. They will also bring in dogs from other areas to increase genetic diversity in their breeding program. This is another reason to select a reputable breeder that shows their dogs, because dogs with genetic conditions do not do well in the show ring, and in many cases, the genetic testing is required by the AKC or their kennel club. You just can't show a dog with skin diseases, respiratory disorders, or eye problems.

With a backyard breeder, yes, you are at quite a risk for your dog to develop the genetic conditions common to the breed. A puppy mill dog is probably more at risk, because the dogs tend to be inbred, which increases the likelihood of recessive genetic diseases.

[replyAnd on top of that they wanted several hundred for the dog.

Thats because most people working for rescue organizations are working for free and need funding to come in to help pay for food, medical care, facilities for the not-yet-adopted dogs. I would have no problem paying that money to help out other animals and people at rescue organizations. This is not directed at you, I'm just saying...I would rather pay several hundred for a rescue dog than several hundred for a breeder dog.

I wouldn't have minded paying several hundred for the dog. I was objecting to several hundred PLUS the cost of flying someone into town and paying for their hotel room just so they could look at the house and put me on their eligible list. That's insane.

What I am getting from all this is while mutts are generally heartier and healthier than most bred dogs, a reputable top class breeder takes the necessary precautions to ensure its dogs are just as healthy.

Seems like both rescue orgainazations and the reputable breeders are in it for the wellfare of the animal, not the $$$. :)
Sadly, the double edge sword of having such high standards to allow ownership is one reason why there will always be farms/mills/breeders that do not take such precautions. [:/]

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

So we finish meds today. Dog appears to have made a full recovery. I'm told "big" breeds do better and the fact that she was 6 months old helped. So after thousands of dollars...our puppy is just fine. She is beautiful.

Marcel
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

So we finish meds today. Dog appears to have made a full recovery. I'm told "big" breeds do better and the fact that she was 6 months old helped. So after thousands of dollars...our puppy is just fine. She is beautiful.

Marcel

Great news, now to recover you cost from the ripoff breeder.,,,,don;t let thsi slide, report them!>:(

I've sent all of the vet bills/procedures to the breeder on Wednesday morning. It provides the proof of the parvo diagnosis. I gave the breeder an update (and pictures) of the dogs health and asked what she was willing to do to offset the costs.

I have not heard back yet. Surprise. I will be attempting communication over the phone today. Thus far she has not answered the phone or responded to voice mails. I have been nice so far. That will be changing rapidly.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I've sent all of the vet bills/procedures to the breeder on Wednesday morning. It provides the proof of the parvo diagnosis. I gave the breeder an update (and pictures) of the dogs health and asked what she was willing to do to offset the costs.

I have not heard back yet. Surprise. I will be attempting communication over the phone today. Thus far she has not answered the phone or responded to voice mails. I have been nice so far. That will be changing rapidly.

if you don't turn them in to the local athorities you are screwing other buyers, ALL their dogs are infected...and will be in the future, ,YOU have to take a stand!

DON'T LET THIS SLIDE!>:(

PLUS, we want pitures!B|

>Seems like both rescue orgainazations and the reputable breeders are in
>it for the wellfare of the animal, not the $$$.

Both are in it for the money. Fortunately, the better ones also place a high priority on caring for their animals.

if you don't turn them in to the local athorities you are screwing other buyers, ALL their dogs are infected...and will be in the future, ,YOU have to take a stand!

DON'T LET THIS SLIDE!>:(

PLUS, we want pitures!B|

If they are a registered breeder, you should also contact AKC as well. Please post more pics of that beautiful puppy too.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

"if you don't turn them in to the local athorities you are screwing other buyers, ALL their dogs are infected...and will be in the future, ,YOU have to take a stand!

DON'T LET THIS SLIDE! "
________

Who do you expect him to report it to? AKC? Animal Control? ASPCA? Humane Society? There is no regulatory body to turn them into.

"if you don't turn them in to the local athorities you are screwing other buyers, ALL their dogs are infected...and will be in the future, ,YOU have to take a stand!

DON'T LET THIS SLIDE! "
________

Who do you expect him to report it to? AKC? Animal Control? ASPCA? Humane Society? There is no regulatory body to turn them into.

Some cities, if not all, have animal enforcement arms within the police depts or county sheriffs depts that deal with these things.

The OP should also get a lawyer
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

DON'T LET THIS SLIDE! "
________

Breeders are licensed by the state, in some cases up to a set-number of animals to be allowed on the premises. If they show their dogs, AKC can revoke their membership.
Make light!

No, the breeder would not have euthanized him.

LOL, it never occurred to me to look for a dog on DZ.com. I will definitely keep your offer in mind when I have room for another dog. Most rescues require meeting with the rescue personally and sometimes having a home inspection, though, which is why the rescue here referred me to a breeder when they couldn't help me. This goes to what a previous poster was saying about rescues being too strict in their rehoming requirements and making adoption difficult.

For both my rescues, I had a meeting and home inspection before I adopted them. This was a requirement with BoxerRescue because they wanted to be sure that they would fit in at my home and would not be sent back. Keep in mind most rescues are traumatized in some way. Good rescue organizations want to be SURE that they are sending the animals in their care to a good FOREVER home.

Yes, it can be difficult. Yes, they are strict. And I'm glad they are since most of the purebreds out there in rescue were probably sold by a breeder to someone that eventually didn't want them.

For Bug, because she was located 9 hours one way from me, they sent over someone local to do the home meeting.

For Tucker, his foster mom came to town once a month so she came by with him to meet me and Bug.

For both of them, I drove out to pick them up and bring them home.

----- And Marcel, sorry for the thread hi-jack.
SO glad Chloe is doing well. Can't wait to meet her!! -----

'Shell

Both are in it for the money

A lot of rescue groups are volunteer. I'm not sure how that equates to being in it for the money.

I'm pretty sure the only volunteer breeders are the dogs themselves.

- Dan G

The AWA and licensing only applies to commercial kennels that are selling wholesale dogs. While some counties may have a requirement for keeping 3 bitches in one house, it is so low on the problem list they could careless.

The poor dog had parvo but any unvaccinated (or vaccinated dog!) can contract parvo. It is extremely resistant and frequently mutates. Your dog could come in contact with it at a dog park, a fire hydrant, of the tree that s/he pees on every morning. Turning them into the AKC would be like complaining to the school that your kid got swine flu. Unfortunate? yes. Preventable? Well, we can do our best but nothing is 100%

>Seems like both rescue orgainazations and the reputable breeders are in
>it for the wellfare of the animal, not the $$$.

Both are in it for the money. Fortunately, the better ones also place a high priority on caring for their animals.

Rescue groups who charge a couple hundred for a dog after making sure it's up to date with shots, make sure any major surgeries are taken care of, making sure they're healthy on the way out, and doing the best they can with an overpopulation of dogs to find them homes and spending countless hours volunteering their time are in it for the money?

Ok, sorry about the file size. here is a bigger photo.

She's beautiful. I'm glad you were able to save her! B|
Make light!