k-dubjumps

Phantm jumpsuits are a scam - DON'T ORDER ONE!!

I've been working with Rob at Phantm since September of last year on designing a new freefly jumpsuit. I did research on three different jumpsuit companies and decided to go with Phantm for a few reasons. Rob took the time to give a very detailed response when I first inquired about his jumpsuits and asked why I should choose Phantm over the other two companies I was considering, the quality of the jumpsuit looked to be outstanding, the webpage (http://phantm.com.au/) and facebook page looks to be totally legit.

He also offered to work on jumpsuit designs without me first putting down a deposit. I took him up on this offer and after several weeks of communicating back and forth via email (Phantm is in Australia) we finally had my jumpsuit design ready to go. I had a bit of a financial set back and had to wait until February before I could actually put the order in. Rob was very understanding and even honored the pricing that was in effect when I first inquired about the jumpsuit (pricing had gone up shortly after that). So on February 14, I sent in my measurements and payment. Rob said he "can't wait to get started on this suit" and promised to do his best to get the jumpsuit completed and to me by March 16 so I would have it in time for Fitz. Up to this point the customer service had been excellent. :).

I emailed him on March 15 to inquire on the status since I hadn't heard anything. No response. I emailed again on March 23 and finally got a response from him. He stated, "i am sorry to inform you that we are very full in our production at the moment, and due to this, we have been trying hard to avoid long delays. Our embroiderer has taken much longer than first quoted for your artwork - which has left our production line backed up."

Then out of the blue I get an email from him a few days later on March 29 telling me "I have picked up your suit from the factory - and have found that it has not been made to your correct color specifications. I am very sorry, it's not the colors you requested. However i intend on refunding you the entire amount ASAP, due to the wait you have incurred." He also wanted know if refund by PayPal was OK. I immediately responded and told him yes, but thought it was strange that he didn't offer to remake the jumpsuit. In my response I asked him about producing a new suit and I also asked how off the colors were. The response I got from him was, " i can not guarantee delivery on any other suits - with the amount of commercial suits going through. (i think the one-off customs are throwing the factory out of whack). Your money will be returned in full." In the email he asked a second time if refund by PayPal was OK and for the second time I said yes. I have sent several emails asking about the jumpsuit that was made with the incorrect colors indicating that I might still be interested in it. He has completely ignored my inquiries.

On April 15, TWO WEEKS LATER >:( he finally emails me to tell me that the refund payment has been made to my account. Funny, I didn't get an email from PayPal letting me know such a transaction had been made. Big surprise, to this date a refund has yet to be made :o. I have been sending emails asking to be contacted about this at least every other day and have yet to get a response from him. >:(

I still don't have a jumpsuit :( and I'm out a big chunk of change >:(. I can't order a new one from a different company until I get a refund for this one. [:/]

If you're considering buying a Phantm jumpsuit, don't!
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

Maybe someone can email Rob with a link to this thread. I would love to hear his side of the story. Your side sounds realistic and reasonable to me.

Without knowing, I could guess that maybe business is not going well, and they are cash strapped. I've caught businesses misusing my money before. This could be happening to you. Maybe they are doing too well, and things are falling thru the cracks, not getting done properly.

I've been the "bad debt collector" for Vskydiver's jumpsuit business for years. It's a small sport, and people are surprised how quickly word gets out when someone's scamming someone else. Let's hope this situation has a happy resolution for you. :)

I've tried contacting him via his webiste, email, facebook and dz.com. If anyone wants to help :) here's how to contact him:

email: [email protected]
dz.com screen name: phantm2009
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phantm-Jumpsuits/103751652318?ref=ts
phone (in Australia): 04 1225 8042

I just located a phone number for him in Australia today. I'll call in a couple of hours when its at least daylight there.

Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3

This is yet another reason why a US resident ordering a jumpsuit from a company outside this country is just silly. Add the customs charges, and the problems you'll have if it doesn't fit the first time and the amount spent is retarded. Deal local, you'll get better service, and a personal hand in making sure the product is what you want.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

This is yet another reason why a US resident ordering a jumpsuit from a company outside this country is just silly. Add the customs charges, and the problems you'll have if it doesn't fit the first time and the amount spent is retarded. Deal local, you'll get better service, and a personal hand in making sure the product is what you want.

I looked into companies in the US, but based on feedback from people I know with those products or a lack of jumpsuit features I was looking for, opted to go with one that happened to be outside the US. I could have easily paid just as much if not more by choosing a US company. There are several companies outside the US with outstanding reputations, but unfortunately I chose to go with the new guy who hadn't established a reputation yet.
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3

Agree 100%. I love my jumpsuit, but I had so many problems going back and forth to Canada, and it didn't fit right the first time, etc, etc. Then it got returned by the post office, because they gave it to FedEx to take it across the border, and there was some form that FedEx needed, that the post office never required. What a pain!

Next time I order a jumpsuit, I'm going to be camping next to where it's made, and go inside and bug them about it every day until it's done correctly. I've never had so many problems with skydiving gear as with jumpsuits. Granted, the human body is a variable metric, but everyone needs to expect problems with their suit, and account for that ahead of time.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I've never had so many problems with skydiving gear as with jumpsuits. Granted, the human body is a variable metric, but everyone needs to expect problems with their suit, and account for that ahead of time.

+1. Jumpsuits are the biggest pain in the ass (and one of the smallest profit margins) for gear dealers.

Having spent a few years selling gear and having cut jumpsuits and run a jumpsuit production line for a year, I wouldn't buy a jumpsuit from any company that I can't reasonably get to in person to be measured and to be able to handle any problems/issues face to face. Especially one with a bunch of custom appliques and/or embroidery.

And regardless of who you order it from, expect and plan for problems. Ordering a custom item and needing it to arrive on the estimated delivery date so you can take it to an event is just asking for it to not arrive on time, or not fit, or be the wrong colors or...

And the problems with customs, aren't even predictable!:S
I hang out on cycling forums, and for over a year now, a number of online UK bike parts vendors
have had prices that beat US vendors, even with the shipping costs.
Most of the time, these orders go through customs w/o an issue, BUT every so often, customs rolls the dice
and slams a shipment with a huge fee that makes the buyer wish he had ordered from a US vendor.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I agree with very little JP says but this time I agree 100% :)

So, no one from outside of the US of A should buy gear from the States?:P

JUMP SUITS.....:S and yes if I lived in another country I would order (my gear including JUMP SUITS) from inside my country and through a dealer who would be responsible for my order.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

No, just maybe not jumpsuits.

I have a 2k Composites camera helmet, a full face by Parasport Italia, half a dozen L&B products, and a Cypres 2. But my jumpsuits are all Liquid Sky and Tony Suits.

An added benefit is that now I have Liquid Sky and Tony Suit "compatible" measurements that I know will net me a good fitting suit if I need another one in the future.

Not only is it good to buy local because the dealer is right there....but it's good to buy local because the CUSTOMER is right there working with the dealer

given 10 different customers - you have 10 different 'Opinions' on what a good fit and design is - and every one of them thinks they know better - especially if they've never sewn a day in their lives....

It helps to be there personally and explain the fit and performance and features when delivering a suit.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've never had so many problems with skydiving gear as with jumpsuits. Granted, the human body is a variable metric, but everyone needs to expect problems with their suit, and account for that ahead of time.

+1. Jumpsuits are the biggest pain in the ass (and one of the smallest profit margins) for gear dealers.

Having spent a few years selling gear and having cut jumpsuits and run a jumpsuit production line for a year, I wouldn't buy a jumpsuit from any company that I can't reasonably get to in person to be measured and to be able to handle any problems/issues face to face. Especially one with a bunch of custom appliques and/or embroidery.

And regardless of who you order it from, expect and plan for problems. Ordering a custom item and needing it to arrive on the estimated delivery date so you can take it to an event is just asking for it to not arrive on time, or not fit, or be the wrong colors or...

Well my Liquid Sky suit is sweet and extremely well made. The customer service was excellent from beginning to end and I would not hesitate to buy another from them. It was also finished in a couple of weeks so I could rock it for the last Richmond Boogie! B|
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Good for you. So far, all my suits (from a variety of manufacturers) have been the same - on time, good fit (and the one that wasn't was fixed fast and free) and excellent customer service.

I've also seen a bunch of suits from a variety of manufacturers that, for a variety of reasons, weren't on time, weren't exactly "right" and/or didn't fit.

So my opinion, based solely on my experiences in the sport and industry, is if someone really wants a new suit (or canopy, or container, or any other custom item) for a particular event, it's a real good idea to order it so it is due to arrive at least a month before the event.

Just in case.

Geeze girl if your profile is correct and you have around 200 jumps, how frigging special does your jumpsuit need to be?

I looked into companies in the US, but based on feedback from people I know with those products or a lack of jumpsuit features I was looking for, opted to go with one that happened to be outside the US.

Geeze girl if your profile is correct and you have around 200 jumps, how frigging special does your jumpsuit need to be?

As special as I want it to be. :P I was simply looking for a top quality product that would last a long time. This video is what sold me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsPaWNfLNhE
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3

[
Next time I order a jumpsuit, I'm going to be camping next to where it's made, and go inside and bug them about it every day until it's done correctly. I've never had so many problems with skydiving gear as with jumpsuits. Granted, the human body is a variable metric, but everyone needs to expect problems with their suit, and account for that ahead of time.

That is exactly why Vskydiver only builds suits for people that can come to the house/shop twice, once for measuring and picking out colors, fabrics and features, and the second time for the final fitting, where she adjusts the bootie tension, checks the fit, and makes any necessary alterations. Her RW suits fit the way an RW suit should. :)

Maybe someone can email Rob with a link to this thread. I would love to hear his side of the story. Your side sounds realistic and reasonable to me.

I emailed the story to him this morning. Maybe he will respond

You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

No, just maybe not jumpsuits.

I have a 2k Composites camera helmet, a full face by Parasport Italia, half a dozen L&B products, and a Cypres 2. But my jumpsuits are all Liquid Sky and Tony Suits.

An added benefit is that now I have Liquid Sky and Tony Suit "compatible" measurements that I know will net me a good fitting suit if I need another one in the future.

funny, i got a rig (self-measured), a reserve from the US in the end as well, and a main from NZ, all kinda seems to fit..

oh, my jumpsuit is from spain, i live in switzerland, does that all combined make me a.) more trustworthy, or b.) an internationl jumper now!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda