riddler

The medical marijuana place next door

For those of you that don't know, the sale medical marijuana has been legal in Denver (with restrictions) for some years now, but it has really "blossomed" *snicker* in the past two years. In fact, there are now more dispensaries in Denver than Starbuck's coffee shops in the entire state of Colorado. The government is hesitant to put a damper on it, because it's generating much-needed cash for the city.

I live in the middle of town, about a mile from the capital - been here 10 years. It's busy, lots of traffic, stores, etc. In fact, there are eleven restaurants within one block of my house. Anyway, about a block away from me is a building that was originally a doctor's office. The doctor retired and rented the space to a bakery (I bought a few birthday cakes there). They went out of business after a few years, then the doctor's kids turned it into a crepe bistro. I really liked the kids, they made good food, worked hard, but ultimately failed.

I'm walking back from yoga practice today, which is right across the street from the building, and I see that they've turned the old shop into a medical marijuana dispensary. I think I felt the price of my home go up for the first time in a few years.

http://denverchronicle.blogspot.com/2009/12/grasshopper-alternative-medicine.html

They aren't discreet about it either. It's called "The Grasshopper", the logo includes a rather small grasshopper on a rather large blade of grass and all the windows are decal-ed with green-cross emblems.

I'm interested into seeing what the store will do to the neighborhood. I've seen several signs for the dispensaries when walking/driving around Denver, but I never would have guessed they would put one next door. The Starbuck's is still closer (literally 150 feet away), but the alcohol store is two blocks further away - not that it makes a difference, as I don't drink coffee, smoke pot, or drink alcohol.

I'm tempted to open a chocolate store next door to it, though.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I purchased two grade A strains, Super Lemon Haze (sativa) and Gravity (indica). Grasshopper gave me a deal because I’m unemployed.

Really? Get a damn job moron before you spend money your not making on pot!:S Some people.[:/]
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I purchased two grade A strains, Super Lemon Haze (sativa) and Gravity (indica). Grasshopper gave me a deal because I’m unemployed.

I'm confused. In riddler's message #1 he says: "I don't drink coffee, smoke pot, or drink alcohol."

Yet you have a quote purportedly from riddler, where he admits buying pot.

So what's going on here?

Was riddler lying initially? Is your quote false? What's the explanation for this opposite statements?

Yet you have a quote purportedly from riddler, where he admits buying pot.

No - the poster was quoting the linked article, not me. For the record, I don't smoke pot, and I am employed.

I also realized, since my original post, that one of the restaurants right behind me is a desert place, and they sell really good chocolate, so the idea of a chocolatier next door is moot. I like the Doritos idea, though. Maybe I could just put a gumball dispensor full of Doritos next to it - put in a quarter, get a handful of snack food.

Jon Stewart just did a segment on how many of the medical marijuana stores are struggling now:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-may-4-2010/gone-to-pot

Honestly, these dispensaries are springing up everywhere. I have real trouble believing that demand is "high" enough *snicker* to warrant the number of stores.

In other news, the Denver courts just struck down a measure that would curb future stores from opening. The government really, really likes the money they are getting from all the business.

My favorite dispensary (I am not a shopper, I just like looking at the ads in the windows when driving by)...

It says in HUGE BLOCK LETTERS:

"WE HAVE HASH".

At what point will the dispensaries at least pretend their business is for medical use before the government says, "we have had enough."

At this point everybody just kind of winks and looks the other way like the speak easys during prohibition. If I am not mistaken CA has a vote coming for actual legalization. If that happens I think you will see alot of others states start to follow. Although I am sure the feds will have something to say about that. BTW I am for legalization and regulation. I want to be able to choose between the alcohol in the cooler or the weed behind the counter when I go to the store. I believe it should be regulated similiar to alcohol with regards to sales and availability and dispensing.
It is apparent to me that the issue seems to be gaining steam over the last couple of years with more states either decriminalizing small amounts(massachusetts) or for medical use (Rhode Island).
I live in Richmond VA and I have friends that work at one of the major tobacco companies and there have been actual discussions but how they would utilize their existing manufacturing process for the production of marijuana. It seems all you would have to do is put weed in the cigarette instead of tobacco but I am sure there is a bit more to it.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

Tommy Chong: If you want to find Tiger, this is where you'll find him.
Cheech Marin: This is a marijuana club.
Tommy Chong: I know. Totally legal under prop 215 as long as you have a valid medical excuse.
Cheech Marin: For what?
Tommy Chong: Weed. Pot. Dope. Marijuana. Grass.
Cheech Marin: No, I mean what's wrong with you?
Tommy Chong: Oh! Depression.
Cheech Marin: Depression?
Tommy Chong: Yeah, I get really depressed when I'm not getting stoned.

-- "Nash Bridges" -> episode "Wild Card"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.