ryoder

Anyone have details on this emergency bailout video?

I sifted through that translated thread after I posted.

It does say that, but it also goes on to say what tools the media are for getting the details so wrong, and that the guy did have a bailout rig, and jumped around 2k, recieving some sort of minor injuries upon landing.

I'm not sure what they're talking about, but they also claim the CompAir has some sort of design flaw that makes a spin recovery impossible, but I'm not sure if that's true. An inverted spin may be a problem, as in this case, but it may also be 'pilot error' for not knowing how to recover from an inverted spin (I have no idea how to recover from an inverted spin. I've never flown an aircraft upside down, on purpose or otherwise).

It also states that the plane was just completed that month. Some pilots seem to think that a new or overhauled engine is still 'on probation' for the first 20 hours, and if it makes it past that, it's probably OK. I would have to assume that there might be a similar time frame for a homebuilt, so being recently completed, you have to consider the possibility of a mechanical problem that either contributed to entering the spin, or prevented the recovery from the spin.

In the end, everyone made it out alive, which is the important part, but how about that paint job? Would have been nice for that to hang around a little longer, huh?

Most interesting to me was the short period of time between when the first group left and the plane started falling and when everyone got pinned that everyone was just sitting around looking at each other like "WTF?" Was the pilot telling them to stay in? It does look like at one point they got a "get the fuck out" from the pilot because the one guy shoos another out the door right before they got pinned.

Somebody please weigh in. Huge educational opportunity here...

That's not what happened, that's what was edited together for the show.

The first two-way on the step left as the plane stalled. The video cuts to a camera inside the plane, ten seconds behind the camera on the step. You can see the guy in the door is the same guy from both cameras. It's just a poor time-line in the editing, not a case of jumpers sitting around doing nothing.

If you notice from the inside video, as soon as the plane stalls, the jumpers are indeed pinned to the roof, and are probably working their way toward the door. I would also guess, based on the editing, that the other fun jumpers on board probably got out as well, but they didn't have a clear shot of those exits.

As for the pilot, who knows? There are a bunch of pilots in larger jumpships (larger than a 182/206) who don't wear bailout rigs. I've never seen one on a Caravan pilot, how about a PAC, any of those guys wear a rig?

If it is a Compair, it's a homebuilt similar in size to a PAC, can be powered by a piston or turbine engine, and I'm pretty sure they have pilot doors. Here's hoping he had a rig, and an easy time rolling out his door...

I saw the episode on the show the other night... the pilot did get out no one dies.

>Was the pilot telling them to stay in?

I strongly suspect they were trying like crazy to get out.

Often we take the attitude "hey, I have a parachute, I can get out if there's a problem." History has shown that while that's indeed possible, it is by no means a sure thing. Assuming the second video segment is shown in its entirety, it took 27 seconds for the second to last person to leave. This was likely due to G-loading and the unfamiliar attitude of the aircraft (i.e. he has to climb over the wing.) If parts were edited out, that means it took him even longer.

And this was an ideal situation for an emergency exit. The door is open, the exit has begun, the jumper is prepared for exit and is physically within a few feet of that door. And it still took him half a minute! Imagine if he had had to climb 20 feet to that door (i.e. was near the front of an Otter when the spin occurred.)

It's cases like these that make me think that the "pilot rig" carried on the floor by some pilots to meet the letter of a form-337 mod or something is pretty much useless. In a situation like the one in that video, it may take every bit of strength and every second you have just to get out the door - putting a parachute on is just not going to be an option.

As for the pilot, who knows? There are a bunch of pilots in larger jumpships (larger than a 182/206) who don't wear bailout rigs. I've never seen one on a Caravan pilot, how about a PAC, any of those guys wear a rig?

I have not seen Caravan pilots not wearing rigs. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just I haven't seen it. Our Twin Otter pilots don't wear rigs but I noticed Otter pilots wearing rigs at other DZ's. Pilots tell me it's part of the STC for some planes and not required for others. As such, it carries the weight of federal law in our country, eh?

I used to jump with a C-182 driver who would throw his rig in the back and refused to even wear a seat belt. One day I told him I was going to drag him out for a 5 way someday. He started wearing the seatbelt, at least when I was on the load. ;)

All the pilots I have seen (Cessna 152+210, twin otters, Pac750s, King air 90s+200s, beech 99, skyvan) wore bail out rigs.

Where do you jump? Aside from the Cessna's (and I think you mean 182/206), almost every jump pilot I've flown with hasn't worn a rig.

Doesn't look like an 'N' number...but can't see it real clear on my little screen.

How about now?

If that is a "CC" prefix, it is Chile.

For a moment I thought it was Skydive Andes as they are in Chile and have Compair too.

We were considering getting Compair for skydive operations because it is turbine and it is cheap. But still, it is not certified worldwide for skydiving operations.

Scary footage.
dudeist skydiver #42

All the pilots I have seen (Cessna 152+210, twin otters, Pac750s, King air 90s+200s, beech 99, skyvan) wore bail out rigs.

Where do you jump? Aside from the Cessna's (and I think you mean 182/206), almost every jump pilot I've flown with hasn't worn a rig.

see here in OZ lots of pilots wear them
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have NEVER seen a Skyvan/Caravan/TwOtter/CASA/PAC pilot wear a rig. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but I am guessing it's a lot less common to have one, rather than not.

I'm not sure what they're talking about, but they also claim the CompAir has some sort of design flaw that makes a spin recovery impossible, but I'm not sure if that's true. An inverted spin may be a problem, as in this case, but it may also be 'pilot error' for not knowing how to recover from an inverted spin (I have no idea how to recover from an inverted spin. I've never flown an aircraft upside down, on purpose or otherwise).

The weight of the jumpers might have contributed to the problem of getting out of it. I found the best way to get out of a similar situation (which was done on purpose in aerobatic planes) was just to let go of everything and it should right itself.

However the pilot should never have let it stall in the first place. There is a stall warning that should activate 5 knots before the stall as well as the buffeting most planes experience before a full stall.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I have NEVER seen a Skyvan/Caravan/TwOtter/CASA/PAC pilot wear a rig. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but I am guessing it's a lot less common to have one, rather than not.

Those Pilot who do not wear rigs while flying jumpers are the ones that nothing will ever happen to. They believe they are immortal.

There are lots of people who take unnecessary chances. The cemeteries full of them.

I personally bailed in the 70s' and I'm still here.

Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Often we take the attitude "hey, I have a parachute, I can get out if there's a problem." History has shown that while that's indeed possible, it is by no means a sure thing.

A vidiot told me the story of the day he was in a Caravan that stalled/spun.
He was pinned to the wall just a few feet from the door, but could not move
to the door before the pilot finally recovered from the spin.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

And there's always the Lodestar crash in WA back in 1983. 10 and the pilot were unable to get out after the plane stalled and spun on jumprun at 12,500. [:/]

Yes, my dear, departed friend Tom Classon told me his version of the Lodestar crash.
Tom was kneeling in the door when the Lodestar stalled. The Lodestar spit out all those it did not want and pinned the rest to the floor.
Tom was one of the lucky outs spit out. He fractured his leg as he flipped over the top of the fuselage.

at aroud 1.16 just before the cameraman deploys you can see a white chute deploying close to the plane- could this have been the pilot then?

Indeed it seems so. Also from the deployment speed it seems as if it's a round..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

"

It also states that the plane was just completed that month. Some pilots seem to think that a new or overhauled engine is still 'on probation' for the first 20 hours, and if it makes it past that, it's probably OK. I would have to assume that there might be a similar time frame for a homebuilt, so being recently completed, you have to consider the possibility of a mechanical problem that either contributed to entering the spin, or prevented the recovery from the spin.
... '

Agreed!
The most dangerous flight is immediately after major maintenance (eg. engine overhaul).
After any major maintenance, my DZO insists that his certified Cessnas fly 15 or 20 hours, from home base, before they are ferried (through the Rocky Mountains) to any other DZ.

Similalry, one of my old flying instructors suffered a forced landing because an engine quit on her shortly after an overhaul ... something about an oil line coming loose ...

Rules vary widely depending upon whether the airplane is certified or amateur-built and vary from one country to the next.
For example, amateur-built airplanes (in Canada and the USA) must fly their first 25 hours close to home base if they have a certified engine and propeller combination. The test period extends to 50 hours if they have an experimental engine (eg. Volkswagen conversion) or non-certified propeller.

It looks like that Comp Air 8 has a - certified Walter turbo-prop engine. It probably also has a production propeller certified with that engine.
Since this Comp Air was only recently completed - and it was probably the first Comp Air 8 to carry skydivers - they were still figuring out the envelope.

Transport Canada or the FAA will probably never approve Comp Airs to haul skydivers.

"

... The weight of the jumpers might have contributed to the problem of getting out ..."

Agreed!

That accident started before take-off because the pilot allowed two or three skydivers to sit aft of the door.
As soon as the first group exited, the guys in the back unbalanced the airplane and she spun.
The fact that she spun inverted only complicated the spin.
CompAirs do not look they were designed with aerobatics in mind, so all bets are off when it comes to stall recovery.
Like you, I have only tried inverted spins in an airplane certified for aerobatics: a Pitts S-2 with Mike Mangold in the back seat.

You might want to send this video to them... just for the hell of it.

You might want to send this video to them... just for the hell of it.

In this airplane, the pilot is sitting very close to the door. In an otter, there would be no hope for a bailout.
BASE 1384