Stealth

Smart reserve strange thing - need advice.

Few days ago our local rigger declines to pack new smart-135 reserve.
He says there is something wrong with reserve, exactly with 2 external D-lines, attached to stabilizers.
When lines at full tension and slider go up to the canopy and rest on stop rings, small amount of fabric (about 1,5") sticks out of slider ring, seems like external D-lines is too short.

Is there something wrong with reserve ?
The same thing on Smart-120.

I had a similar issue with my Smart 175. When I dropped my rig off for its first Repack, I was told that the D Lines or Stabilizer lines (I do not remember which) were out of trim/spec and had to be modified. The rigger (Mike G at ChutingStar) corrected this for a minimal charge (I think it was $35) and contacted Aerodyne about it.

As always, your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer. Aerodyne has great customer service.

:)
The Smart R does not have Slider Stops on the stab.
at the D lines/Stab. point, this is the way the reserve is made.

The Slider stops at the C lines/Stab. should stop the slider rear grommets. See pages 16 & 17 in the Smart R manual.

Maybe the point where the D lines are attached to the Stab. is the wrong point: the Stab. is too far down on the line which also will put a lot of tension on the stab. when deployed.

Ask your Rigger to check the same way the canopy is in the manul when packed, if you still have the problem ask your Rigger to call Aerodyne for technical assist.

Safe Rigging !!!

http://www.aerodyne-int.com/download/smart_manual.pdf

Manual comes with my own Smart reserve made in 2003 says:
3.Maintenance
3.1.2 Check that all slider stops are present, intact and secure. There are SIX slider stops, one on each of the outer B,C and D line groups.
Manual on newer reserves says
3.1.2 Check that all slider stops are present, intact and secure. There are FOUR slider stops, one on each of the outer B and C line groups.

Just curious.

The 2003 manual does show SIX but the Smart have only 4. It might be a printing error effected by the main manual which also shows SIX or just an printing error.

I checked with Aerodyne in the past & they have only 4.

You can check with Aerodyne on that.

Safe Rigging !!!

The 2003 manual does show SIX but the Smart have only 4. It might be a printing error effected by the main manual which also shows SIX or just a printing error.

I checked with Aerodyne in the past & they have only 4.

You can check with Aerodyne on that.

Safe Rigging !!!

Even if the lines are "out of trim" should that affect the material going through the slider? Shouldn't the stops do just that STOP?? Maybe they need to install some or lower the ones that are there?
Why wouldnt they put stops there anyway???

I wonder how many are packed like that and the user is not aware..

These are just questions, I'm not a rigger just curious.

The Smart reserve is designed and manufactured with 4 Slider Stops.
The Slider Stops are on the B and C line attachment points.
The Smart reserve was tested and approved to TSO C23D with the designed 4 slider stops. The Smart’s TSO C23D required 3 Strength tests of 360Lbs @ 180 knots.
The TSO C23d requires 3 strength tests. The Aerodyne Test Team performed 8 successful Strength tests. This was deemed to prove the strength capabilities of the Smart and certainly the reliability of the 4 Slider Stops. All TSO C23d and development tests prove without doubt that 4 slider stops are reliable.

With Six Slider stops you have a Slider stop on the B, C & D line groups. This means that there is 1 (one) slider stop on the A & B Line Slider Grommet and 2 slider stops on the C & D Slider Grommet.

One slider stop on the A & B Slider Grommet has been proven to be successful. Every Main Canopy out there has a single slider stop on the A & B Grommet. So why do you need 2 Slider stops per Grommet? One slider stop per Slider Grommet has proven to be more than reliable over 1000’s upon 1000’s of jumps!

If you followed this theory that 2 slider stops per Grommet were required then you would need 8 slider Stops. This would require that you put a slider stop on the A Line.

We have also asked the customer who originally posted to send this canopy back to us for further inspection and have shipped a new canopy off to him as a replacement. We feel that this is the best course of action and customer service.

Respectfully