sundevil777

Soccer offside rules

Yeah, but football isn't about battling it out in the box ;) That's only a small part of it. It's mainly about getting the ball to that position, the ideal play is to have about 4 players pushing in the mid, and one pushing on the outside with the ball, making the cross into the box and then having those 4 players in the middle make sure they time their runs right.

It's all about getting past defenders and timing runs.. And of course the finish.

I think it's difficult for Americans to appreciate football because they are used to such quick games. Ice hockey is a very different situation, since the playing area is tiny in comparison, and it's very much a 2/3 movement per goal game. Where as soccer is about 10/20 movements, it slows the game down, but increases the need for skills in many cases, it would make the game a lot easier without the offside rule.

The same with cricket, the US struggles to even comprehend test cricket, but much more back the 20/20 format which is 10000x faster.

Once you understand the skills and exact rules of a game it becomes more exciting. Doesn't need to be people just scoring and bashing each other constantly :p

The same with cricket, the US struggles to even comprehend test cricket, but much more back the 20/20 format which is 10000x faster.

A lot of countries struggle with cricket - mostly because it's boring. I always find it amusing when they keep introducing shorter games to make them more exciting. The difference between Twenty20 cricket and a test match is kinda like the difference between watching grass grow for 3 hours or watching grass grow for a week.

Thanks for the explanations.

Watching the Slovaki/Italy game, the action was hot right up close to the goal, then a score was disallowed because of offsides. Seriously now, everyone was battling it out right up close but the offsides requirements still apply. That doesn't make sense to me.

Agreed... That's where it needs to be more like hockey. There needs to be a 'zone' at each end of the field and once crossed while on-side can no longer be called off-side.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I explained why this wouldn't work though in soccer. Unlike hockey where it's a tiny playing area. Soccer, you have a huge midfield, where play is needed and skill is defined as a player. And you'll just have people clearing the ball from one side of the park to the other it'll be a game between the two goal keepers or defenders. There won't be the ability to challenge players in the mid-field gain ball possession and push forward. It'd be like a game of pong... The whole point of the game would be to get the ball into said box as quickly as possibly and then hope from there. That wouldn't be soccer

Of all people, my Mother just loved soccer. She even insisted on season tickets for the old NASL. We were amazed...until....

She let it out that it was those healthy thighs in shorts that turned her on.
:D:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It is very tough and has resulted in loads of controversy in the past. Bear in mind though that more often than not it is one of the two assistant refs (formerly known as linesmen) rather than the on-field ref that makes the offside call. It is far easier to judge from the side than from on-field.

How right you are! Most often, by far and away, those "bad calls" are not wrong at all. Linesmen get it right far, far more than wrong.

Since the advent of video taping and instant-replay, that's been proven time and time again. Too bad it's the wrong calls that get the most on-air time and commentary.

Funny how it works....
offsides against your team = Bad Call.
offsides for your team = Good Call.

A Ref's job is never really appreciated.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

and defensive players can pretend to not be fast enough to force an offside call.

What?

Yes, even my step-son, a big time soccer guy around here, said that the defense can dog it a bit and make it look like they couldn't keep up, when in reality they just preferred to have offside called.

It's been explained already, but I'll just clarify - it's got nothing to do with 'keeping up'.

The defence has no obligation whatsoever to 'keep up' with an attacking player who's trying to get closer to the goal to recieve a pass. Why on earth would they want to pander to the attacking team by playing their strikers onside all the time?

Also, if you look at most offside calls, the defense is either static or moving slightly up field, not backtracking at all. Hard to say that someone who wasn't moving was pretending they couldn't cover the run of the offside striker.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Who cares? Its a girls game played by over paid nancy boys. Real men play Rugby.

I happen to love watching soccer especially the World Cup regardless of some of the rules. But I totally agree the one thing that really bugs me and I know they are cracking down on it more is diving and over exaggeration of injury.

Either most of these guys are complete pussies rolling around on the ground holding their knee, shin, ankle or whatever it is or they're just acting... either way it needs to stop.

I happen to love watching soccer especially the World Cup regardless of some of the rules. But I totally agree the one thing that really bugs me and I know they are cracking down on it more is diving and over exaggeration of injury.

Either most of these guys are complete pussies rolling around on the ground holding their knee, shin, ankle or whatever it is or they're just acting... either way it needs to stop.

I hate the diving and playacting as well. After watching the Italians in the last World Cup I never wanted to watch another soccer game. I've watched very little this year.

I think one of the Portuguese players got a yellow card for a dive in the game earlier today. If the refs handed more of those out I think it would lessen the frequency.

They showed another replay of a Portuguese player bitching to the ref after his arm was brushed by a Brazilian player kicking the ball. Teach the refs to say "Suck it up princess" in several languages as well.

They should also show these soccer players video of Duncan Keith spitting out 7 teeth in the Stanley Cup playoffs so they know how real men react to an injury.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

They should also show these soccer players video of Duncan Keith spitting out 7 teeth in the Stanley Cup playoffs so they know how real men react to an injury.

+1

I hate the diving and playacting as well. After watching the Italians in the last World Cup I never wanted to watch another soccer game. I've watched very little this year.

I think one of the Portuguese players got a yellow card for a dive in the game earlier today. If the refs handed more of those out I think it would lessen the frequency.

They showed another replay of a Portuguese player bitching to the ref after his arm was brushed by a Brazilian player kicking the ball. Teach the refs to say "Suck it up princess" in several languages as well.

Many professional sports like rugby have post match citing commissioners, who can call players to account for serious fouls that the ref missed during play and hand out fines and suspensions. I can't believe that FIFA doesn't have this.

Think of the difference it would make if you knew you were looking at missing matches for play acting. In the Ivory Coast vs Brazil game and Ivorian player walked into Kaka, he pushed back slightly, the Ivorian went down holding his face and Kaka was sent off. A post match official should be able to look at the TV evidence and say "You've conned the ref into making a potentially game changing decision, you're banned for 5 matches" or however long.

Same with players crowding the ref. Fuck this backing away shit that they do these days. If a player protesting a free kick doesn't get out of the refs face when he's told to then advance the free kick 20 yards down field. If it's close to the box, make it a penalty. If the player's still there, show him a yellow. Still there? Red. You might see a few abandoned games early on with too many players getting sent off but they'd learn very, very quickly.

Many professional sports like rugby have post match citing commissioners, who can call players to account for serious fouls that the ref missed during play and hand out fines and suspensions. I can't believe that FIFA doesn't have this.

They do.

The question is whether or not people get hauled in there for faking an injury to draw a free kick.

Thanks for the explanations.

Watching the Slovaki/Italy game, the action was hot right up close to the goal, then a score was disallowed because of offsides. Seriously now, everyone was battling it out right up close but the offsides requirements still apply. That doesn't make sense to me.

Actually that was a goal and a gross miscall, should have been 2-2 at that point. But the call went against Italy so for most people this call is fine regardless of the fact that it was wrong.

Anyhow, if you don't like the offsides rule then this sport probably isn't for you. Most Americans want lots of scoring so it's understandable, but this game is far more subtle than that. Without the offsides rule, the game would be full of cherrypicking and longballs to players waiting in the other side's box...no thanks.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

They do.

The question is whether or not people get hauled in there for faking an injury to draw a free kick.

Not the same - Kewell was sent off by the ref during the match.

Not the same - Kewell was sent off by the ref during the match.

The point is that there is a kind of judicial proceeding which can review the circumstances under which players were cited during a match and dole out disciplinary action. That said, I just re-read the text I quoted, which was about being able to cite players after the match for things the referee missed, so yes, this was not that.

I think that German goalie would be in the shit if there was a judiciary committee with such powers.