rasmack

How to jump a round?

Once again thanks for all the input. I do not intend to go and jump a round next week. I was more thinking of this as a little project I could have on the side. I now have a better idea, what I am looking for, and which possibilities to discuss with my rigger.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Hi Terry

I've got a GQ 5.5m SAC which is now rigged up on 3 ring risers. I am going to jump it sometime soon, but was interested in what you were saying about putting into a deployment bag.

This canopy has a full diaper ; can you explain how much / how little of the diaper you utilise (presumably you still lock off the hem using the diaper even tho this is inside the d-bag?) / how much of the line gets stowed outside the d-bag?

I have 100+ flat circular round jumps and thousands of round repacks ; I'm interested in hearing how to get a diapered round to deploy out of a bag, as that would make for a cleaner exit for the canopy from the container, which will be a Fury sized main container on a modern piggyback system

Thanks for any help or ideas

Regards

Andrew

For both a 26 lopo (crossbow reserve, no diaper) and a Phantom 28 I did not use the diaper. I just packed it like we used to pack T-10's in d bags for students. Flaked the canopy, fold in 5ths, and s fold into the bag, and use the locking stows. The rest of the lines are on the bag. This doesn't hold the skirt closed but I wasn't worried about it. The skirt isn't out until the lines are tight. This also mimics the Preserve V deployment but that is held closed until canopy stretch with a break cord and centerline break "cutter". I didn't consider locking the skirt closed, as well as bag. I didn't see that as needed when the bag was closed and the lines were on the bag.

The Phantom has only been jumped once this way. The lopo has been jumped 6 or 7 times.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I thought the full length/long bags lost favor to the short bags where you had to S-fold the canopy. I believe the concern was that too much of the canopy could 'slump' down to the bottom and might cause a bag lock.

Anyone else remember this?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Canopy slump could happen if you didn't stow the crown lines of a high-performance round at the top of the sleeve, or the sleeve retainer line for a cheapo.

But at least one of the reasons that sleeves fell out of fashion for high-performance rounds was that they were a whole lot more fabric, in days when weight was everything, and people were buying the biggest possible jumpsuits.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No where in my message did I talk about sleeves (long bag to you). I put these rounds in normal rectangular d bags sized for the container. My Paracommander is in a sleeve, and I pack two strong pilot rigs with a round in a nylon free sleeve. Canopy slup was a problem unless delt with. There were enough stows of my PC crown lines that I didn't have to worry about it. It's in an old Crossbow piggy back rig so plenty of room for the cotton sleeve.

I see no reason good reason not to put these in sleeves, expept that I'd have to make it.:P Got lots of d bags around. No sleeves.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

If you can find one in airworthy condition, the RW version of the Para Commander would be the ideal choice. I have made hundred of jumps with such a canopy and NEVER got a knee on the ground.
We used to nick-name that canopy "Hot Air Balloon" so it was bringing you softly on the ground.
The other advantage is that it packs quite smaller than a regular Para Commander.

Have fun,

JP

I also had over 200 jumps on rounds before jumping a square. I still do an occasional test jump on round canopies. I would advise you to take a pill and lay down until this feeling goes away. You have nothing to gain, nothing to prove and stand a good chance of getting yourself hurt.

Sparky

PS: Have you ever wondered why no one jumps them any more. Even Bob Sinclair gave up rounds a few years ago.:P

Why do you say no one jumps rounds any more? I jump a SET-10 twice a month. I still have an airworthy PC that I jump occasionally. A freefall at terminal velocity on a sleeve deployed canopy opens no harder than a square. A good plf is usually required, but that sometimes is true of my square.

Make it an intentional water jump, at least you won't break something while landing. Even if you're fairly light, rounds can bite you. You can likely find someone that has a closet/basement full of old stuff that would be amused to see jumped again, and not care if it gets wet.

It never ceases to amaze me how deadly people think round canopies are. IT'S JUST NOT TRUE !! As long as you don't weigh something like 200+ lbs, you should have no problemo jumping a Paracommander, or a Papillon, Sierra or Starlite canopy. These are NICE canopies, they open nice (except for the Starlite) and can be landed very softly. The only real disadvantage is that you only get about 12mph fwd drive out of them, maybe 15mph with the Starlite.

I loved my Paracommander. I perfected my standup landings with it and even switched over from paraboots to sneakers with my PC (which is what we used to call them). And I NEVER, ever had to cutaway from it, or any other round, and I made a little over 300 jumps before going square.

I weigh a bit too much nowadays and my knees ain't what they used to be either, so I'll just treasure the memories. But if you get a nice day with ground winds under 10 knots, take a Cessna load up and you might even learn to "spot". That's something else from the old days, we learned quick to be real deadeye spotters, because we had to.

But thousands of people have made millions of safe enjoyable skydives with round canopies. The things aren't exactly carved out of wood y'know...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Amen, Tom. It amazes me that so many people consider a round canopy to be a "death rig". According to them, bodies must have littered the older dz's. I have seen more injuries from squares than I ever did with rounds....we did not consider ourselves bulletproof back then. And I won't even get into the malfunction rates of squares. The only way to kill yourself under an open round is to literally fly it into something. Not so today.

I'll amen that too. I absolutely loved my Starlite (I even liked the openings). I still have a picture of me landing it (standing up :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As long as you don't weigh something like 200+ lbs, you should have no problemo jumping a Paracommander, or a Papillon, Sierra or Starlite canopy. These are NICE canopies,(quote)

I weigh 200 with out gear, and stand up my MK-1 all the time.
But I also understand, sucks getting old.:P
Hey T-brown I Got a few jumbo pc's you can jump if you care to make your way to Richmond In.;)

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

As long as you don't weigh something like 200+ lbs, you should have no problemo jumping a Paracommander, or a Papillon, Sierra or Starlite canopy.

240 lbs exit weight... :P

But if you get a nice day with ground winds under 10 knots, take a Cessna load up and you might even learn to "spot". That's something else from the old days, we learned quick to be real deadeye spotters, because we had to.

Ahem... I live in Denmark. All we have are Cessnas. I did SL and threw streamers out the door till I was blue in the face to learn how to spot ;)

However, this project sort of ended up on hold: Clicky
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Hi Guys,
Join the army and become paratrooper ! ;)[;)
You will jump for free, fully loaded, by night , " The " real jump (only for men !!! but be carefull it won't be a freefly (queen) jump ! ;)B|:P
Blue skies
Chris
P.S I am joking because i am now a queen! ;)

I jumped a round a few years ago. I had obtained an old student canopy and harness. I wore the round harness underneath my regular harness. I did not intend to land it. There is much to be said for an intentional cutaway !

The whole story can be read at:

http://home.wi.rr.com/plummet/round.html

-Jeff.

Just be Careful! I was on a jump that the 3 of us wore an additional harnesses under our regular gear and static lined out of the 182. One of the guys ended up in "TOW" behind the 182 when he tossed the D-Bag and T10.

All lived.