skymama

Sell your rig or ask your parents for a loan?

1. Lucky you that your parents are alive to ask.

2. Is you rig a toy or a tool? Big difference.

3. So much depends on the circumstances.... Some parents might be eager for you to ask.

Jim, you are you just the best teacher ever! Have you ever come up with a poor response to anything? Could you if you tried? :P
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

I love skydiving more than almost anything, but it is a luxury.

I agree. When money is tight for me, skydiving is the first thing to go.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I love skydiving more than almost anything, but it is a luxury.

I agree. When money is tight for me, skydiving is the first thing to go.

And it also shows in my jump totals the last 4-1/2 years - 80 jumps. It just isn't a priority for me these days.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It depends on the person, the particulars of their situation, and their relationship with their family.

I am with the majority--sell--though the decision has little to do with pride.

Rich people who find themselves in tough times often ask their rich friends for a leg back up; I doubt they are humble/without pride, nor sold all their possessions first before asking.

And--again, depending on the relationship and particulars of the situation--the smarter financial decision might be to keep the rig (assuming the parent-loan would be interest-free), even if it is not being used. It is still worth more to keep than to sell (hopefully) if it will be used again in the near future.

Having said all that, I would have a great many other questions before accepting this person's situation truly comes down to selling a rig or asking parents for a loan.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

I'm to old to be asking for money from my mother, but to many got lost on the fact the OP said it was a loan, not a gift, or a handout. No differant then going to the bank for a loan. It may come with an interest rate whereas the "loan" from the parent may not. Hard to really get what the gear is worth anyway, espically if the buyer knows your really straped for cash.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

I think it is funny that most people seem to be implying that was loan from a parent would not be paid back. To me it they are willing to LOAN you the money there is nothing wrong with that as long as you pay them back. It would be the same as using credit cards or getting a loan from a bank. I can guarantee you nearly everyone that said they would not get ask for a loan from parents has used credit cards for many things, so how is that any different. Based on what they are saying they should not have used the credit card and should only buy things that they can pay cash for. So that would mean no car loans, no mortgages, no student loans. I hardly know anyone that has not used a loan of some kind for something. So why should it be considered any different if it comes from your parents or the bank.

If someone is looking to have their parents give them money and they are not planning on paying them back, that's another story. That is a hand out, not a loan. Or if the person is planning on skydiving still while borrowing money, that is completely different as well. But if they legitimately need the money and are going to pay it back, I see no problem with that.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

a loan is a loan, no matter where it comes from. as long as you have an agreement before hand and stick to it, i don't see the difference.

The difference is mixing business with personal. Finances are the leading cause of divorce. Far lesser amounts break friendships and family-ties. If one goes to family vs. a bank, chances are they are not expecting to pay monthly with interest, but rather "when they can" which is a completely different matter. There is a big difference between a friendly loan vs. a business one.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Sell your rig to your parents!

You get the money and they won't be using your gear. Buy it back when you get back on your feet.

Bingo! Hello Mom, wanna buy my parachute?:D:D:D

:D My mom would probably buy it from me, then turn it around and sell it just so she won't have to worry about me skydiving again. :o:D

Skymama, I agree with most people here. Skydiving is a luxury, and unless I use my rig to make a living, if it ever came down to deciding between needing money and selling my skydiving equipment, I would grudgingly part with my rig. I can always buy another later on down the road, and if I really want to jump, I'll rent one at the DZ for a few jumps.

If I were to get a loan from my folks, I would make sure that they KNOW it is a loan and that every cent would be paid back.

So, let's say your unemployment payments are ending, you've maxed out your credit cards and your only options for money until you find a job is to sell your rig or ask your parents for a loan. Which would you choose? Would your pride stand in the way of you asking your parents for help, even if you know they'd be able to afford it?

Given that you have no income at all, I'd sell the rig and hope the monies last until i can get work. Once the rig IS sold there may at a later date be a need to ask for a parfental loan.

Not that i would ask my parents, i made it from 15 to 47 without thier help, i'd find a way to sort it out.
Mind you i have never found myself in a situation where i had no income. I've always managed to get work doing somthing when needed.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If one can't live as an adult, then why on earth would one choose a sport that's clearly only for adults?

:D:D:D

It's been a while since you were at a DZ, eh? Adults?

To the OP:
Sell the rig.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So, let's say your unemployment payments are ending, you've maxed out your credit cards and your only options for money until you find a job is to sell your rig or ask your parents for a loan. Which would you choose? Would your pride stand in the way of you asking your parents for help, even if you know they'd be able to afford it?

\

sell your computer, get off your ass and go find work(was that too blunt?)
Most DZ always need packers, they can make more than many during a weekend, that folks that work all week,,,and don;t pay taxes!!

Sell an egg or two. (or a child, White kids go for top dollar in Northwestern Europe)

Just to clarify, this question isn't about me. I had this conversation with a friend of mine today who has decided he needs to sell his rig for cash.

On top of that, I don't think anyone would want my 45 year old eggs. :ph34r:
I was about to say don't you work for Daddy in the 1st place. So instead of a loan, it would be more like a payday advance.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

No parents, and I HATE borrowing money.

I joined the Army, this being my 5th 'trip' overseas, I've managed to pay off my truck, debts and have a decent coushin. When my dad died last year, I found out I was the sole benificiary for life insurance we didn't know he had.

Its been thrown into CD's minus an emergency fund (located in a different bank, that I cannot access online, only over the phone/one check book). I just gave my sister 3 grand for a car she wants and I refuse to touch the other money for any 'spur of the moment' expenses... and its a bitch to get to, so its more reason not to use it.

This deployment I have bought a brand new fully loaded V3-M, Optimum Reserve, some rigger items, a seat PEP with a 26' lopo canopy, a LiquidSky suit, Cannon XSi kit... and I still have a bit of cash in the checking account.

My truck is paid off... My credit score is over 700... I have a good amount in the bank for emergencies... and I pretty much owe my financial status and responsibility (even if it doesn't sound like it) to the military. Its not for everyone, but its not too bad of a gig, I just wish I could get my bum brother in!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

kick yoru friend in teh balls, (if they have them)...twice if they bitch!

My friend is selling his rig. His parents are well off, but he didn't even consider asking them for money.

If it was me, I certainly wouldn't have maxed out any credit cards. My rig would have been sold way before that point.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon