skymama

Sell your rig or ask your parents for a loan?

So, let's say your unemployment payments are ending, you've maxed out your credit cards and your only options for money until you find a job is to sell your rig or ask your parents for a loan. Which would you choose? Would your pride stand in the way of you asking your parents for help, even if you know they'd be able to afford it?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So, let's say your unemployment payments are ending, you've maxed out your credit cards and your only options for money until you find a job is to sell your rig or ask your parents for a loan. Which would you choose? Would your pride stand in the way of you asking your parents for help, even if you know they'd be able to afford it?

I've never asked my parents for financial help. If I got into a corner, I dealt with it. Yeah I'd sell my rig if I had to. I did end up selling off a pretty good coin and monetary collection (wish I hadn't) that included authentic and like new Confederate bills and an 1849 gold dollar coin, among other items. [:/] And yeah, my parents can afford to help me if I needed it.

Maybe that's why they give me a big check every Christmas even though I never ask for anything.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I sold my stuff to a pay some bills off. Now I am regretting it and looking to buy all new stuff :S

But you have to do what you have to do. No jumping if you don't have the money for it anyways.

AIN'T IT COOL!!! ~~ John in broken arrow ~~

I would never ask my mom for money. NEVER! (My dad is a bum, enough said there..) Now, if it was out of the blue and I was sent 20 bucks that is fine, but more than that I would call to find out why, then send it back. I am a resourceful a grown up who will find a way to pay my own bills.

No matter what the situation is/are you have to resolve it and not get someone else to bail you out. Situations arise in life that make us who we are and if others take care of those situations then they are prevent that persons growth.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

...I am a resourceful a grown up who will find a way to pay my own bills.

My sentiments exactly. I've always thought of this group as being made up of adults. Sadly, it looks like about half of the respondents to the poll feel otherwise.

I sold my custom Mirage rig after my big PG accident. I regret it to this day. Been trying to find it to buy it back as well. Looking back, I know I could have figured it out without selling the rig.

If the rig is custom and has some personal value to you, Other than just being a parachute, figure it out without selling it.

-SPACE-

Depends on the dynamic with the parents. Some refer to asking for a loan as "bailing out." I disagree. If you agree to borrow money (assuming there's some interest) that's no different to me than going to a bank. Okay, a little different, but not the same as a handout.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

never collected a DAY of unemployment benefits in my entire Life, let alone had "extensions" which ran out...:|
..and so yes , my pride would stand in the way.. I'd feel terrible to have to ask them for a loan...
hell,, I'M the Parents now,,, and i'd be more likely to have my kids asking ME...
( though thankfully they are getting through their 20's now and have never approached us..)
After a certain age and/ or status in life
say 30 years of age.. Or with a spouse,,,the parental loan option comes off the table...
wanna be a "grown-Up",,, then fend for yourself...:|

Sell My rig???
hmmmm.. i'd hope that i'd never be down to my last dollars,,, whereby i had to Part with my rig...

I suppose it also comes down to the level of active jumping that i'm doing, and whether the rig is being used.. or sitting in a closet...
besides:ph34r:....NOBODY wants a J-5 Jav... with almost 450 square feet of parachutes in it and a nearly timed out cypres:o:S;):)
but these are the times that try men's souls..... and i'd never fault anyone who had to liquidate the jumping gear, to raise cash...[:/]:(
jt

I would never ask my parents for help. I don't even consider it an option. I've sold stuff in the past when I needed money. When my daughter was little high quality childcare cost a fortune. I sold my book collection which was worth quite a lot, I still miss my books. But my daughter is more important so I don't regret it. I sold my canopies since I'm not currently jumping but I kept my container since it's custom and it's not that easy to find used gear to fit when you're really short. But I would sell it if I needed the money.

I would never go to my parents. Anyway one of my sisters asks my mom for help on a regular basis. My mom should only have to take care of one of her adult children.

If one can't live as an adult, then why on earth would one choose a sport that's clearly only for adults?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If one can't live as an adult, then why on earth would one choose a sport that's clearly only for adults?

I, for one, didn't choose skydiving. It chose me.

The choice to keep a rig when you can't use it and can't even pay your bills is to what he is referring.

And unless a DZO grabbed you off the street and made you skydive, you chose it.

Yes and no. I did choose to make the first jump, but after that there was no going back.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

The choice to keep a rig when you can't use it and can't even pay your bills is to what he is referring.

let him be - he's trying to be deep. the practice won't hurt :D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Would your pride stand in the way of you asking your parents for help,
>even if you know they'd be able to afford it?

Nope. But then again, my family would ask me for help if they needed it.

Besides, if everything else came crashing down, I'd be able to make some money with that rig.

No question, it would be sell the rig. I'm a firm believer that if you always take the easy way out, you never learn the lessons of life.

I've had some tough times in my life. My Dad offered several times to give me money to give me a cushion. I always told him, no thanks. I love and appreciate all he does for me; but, the choice to suffer through the tough times taught me how to better prepare for them and the knowledge that bad times always pass.

My personal belief is that asking someone for money should be an absolute last resort.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Sell an egg or two. (or a child, White kids go for top dollar in Northwestern Europe)

Just to clarify, this question isn't about me. I had this conversation with a friend of mine today who has decided he needs to sell his rig for cash.

On top of that, I don't think anyone would want my 45 year old eggs. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon