mrwrong

Talk your way out of THIS speeding ticket

Well... A Swede in a bit of a hurry while driving in Switzerland...

290kph on a 120kph limit :o
Read oll about it here
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

my opinion is that for such excessive speeds, the car should be transformed and given to the Police, or sold for charity or something like that.

the place where he got caught is somewhere where LOTS of people speed, they often bust people between 200-230 Km/H
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

my opinion is that for such excessive speeds, the car should be transformed and given to the Police, or sold for charity or something like that.

I couldn't agree more with you on that one.... And he should have to pay the fine + get some jail time for that....
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Were they endangering other people with the speed? If so, I understand your thinking, but if it is just an open stretch of road with nothing and nobody around, then fuck it.

I doubt it is completely free of other people. It isn't a closed track!

I live on a country road that is pretty "open". But there are also house, with driveways. The speed limit is 50 but the average speed is more like 80. My favorite are the bikers that go by at 100 plus. And this is during the middle of the day.

Sure 99% of the time no harm, but if the other 1% came along and some one was leaving their driveway it would be bad! Selfish driving.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Were they endangering other people with the speed? If so, I understand your thinking, but if it is just an open stretch of road with nothing and nobody around, then fuck it.

At even half that speed on most roads, even open stretches of freeway, the unexpected happens faster than 98% of drivers on the road are able to react correctly to. With out a closed track, there is no promise of no other traffic and is a significant danger.

Worked a fatal a while back in which a guy on a sport bike was doing 100-ish mph on an "open stretch of road." A driver pulled out in a clear lane of traffic, but because the rider was so far back, he wasn't seen until he struck the side of the suburban. Luckily he struck behind the c-pillar or he would have probably killed the children in the back seat. As it is, he hit so hard that his face separated in his helmet and brain matter left through the visor. The driver of the suburban, who really wasn't at fault, had to be medically sedated. The driver's marriage has now fallen apart and is having serious PTSD issues. Her once happy life is now completely ruined because of one kid's inability to recognize that speed is dangerous on roads!

Then again, what the F*** do I know about speed, fatality accidents, causes and high performance driving? I'm sure you "know" much more than I do.:|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

it's still 180 MPH on an open road... even if there is noone around. The guy is a stupid fucker, and he's gonna pay..

Another good punition would be to throw a good sized dead animal at 180mph on his car so he can see what would have been the consequences if a deer had crossed the road.

I think there is nothing worse in a civilized society than to allow confiscation of personal assets to benefit the local police or judiciary. I get sick when I see a fancy car confiscated and plastered with D.A.R.E. stickers so the police can have something fun to drive. If the person purchased the asset via profits from an illegal activity, sell the asset and put the money in the social security trust fund. Don't let the local cops and judges split it amongst themselves.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

180mph is a totally different world. The only people who have any real seat time at those speeds are F1, Indy car (whatever the leagues are called) and NASCAR (the pro-class dragster guys go even faster, but it's only a few seconds at a time).

And they have some pretty spectacular wrecks, despite their skills.

Anyone who is skilled enough to handle those speeds knows enough that there isn't any open, public road where this would be "safe" to do.

Anyone who thinks this is anything other than really stupid and dangerous has no real appreciation for how fast shit happens at those speeds.

A small to mid-sized animal (racoon or bigger) would quite possibly be enough to cause you to wreck.

I've been up to around 100-110 on a sport bike once. Trying to focus on controlling the bike, watch out for bumps on the road, and watching for cross traffic was too much (maybe with experience I would be better at it). I did a hard stop and was amazed how long it took (and the bike had great brakes).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

One of my brothers has incredibly good eyesight (well, when he was younger:P), on the order of 20-10 or even 20-5. He could read license plates at the end of the block from our fifth-floor apartment. He also has very quick reflexes; i.e. testably so.

So, of course, living in Indy, he took his opportunity to drive on the track at 180+mph. He said it scared the shit out of him. He realized that there was no way he could react to anything happening; only anticipate. That the whole purpose of starting out with slower cars is so that your automatic reactions and anticipation are trained, because you can't think your way out of an emergency situation -- there's no time.

Did he quit speeding? Nope :ph34r:. But he was never tempted to go really, really fast on the street again.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Another good punition would be to throw a good sized dead animal at 180mph on his car so he can see what would have been the consequences if a deer had crossed the road.

That would be fun to watch. Mythbusters could do a show on that, even though they have already shot turkeys at airplane windows.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Maybe you misread my post. I understand deadly accidents happen, I know people who ride who have been killed by vehicles while they were the one at fault. It is a tough situation, no doubt about it. But, there are roads out there, that have no side roads. No turn outs. No drive ways. A simple ride up and back assures that not a single person could possibly EVER be at risk of a collision, and this is a time where I think it is acceptable, although in conflict with the law, to speed. If you ride (drive) long enough, you discover these places, and the reason nobody ever hears of them is because the ones doing it have half a mind to keep it that way. 150mph+ is not a joke, and I am sorry you had to be exposed to the graphic irresponsibility of someone who made a poor choice.
I digress, it seems that this was a foreigner speeding in another country, and if it was not a spot he knew well, then reckless easily describes his actions and he deserves the penalty. Advocating that the perpetrator have his car sold for charity is childish, however, and not a way to solve the problem.

Might not be any people on a rural road like you described, but how about animals big enough to fuck the ride up and send the rider flying to oblivion?

At those speeds, I don't think the risks are worth it anywhere. Just go to the Bonneville Salt Flats, geesh.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Maybe you misread my post. I understand deadly accidents happen... simple ride up and back assures that not a single person could possibly EVER be at risk of a collision, and this is a time where I think it is acceptable...

You are wrong and I didn't misread your post. Those kinds of speeds on a public road are simply unacceptable. There are factors that you can't even imagine, then again, I don't expect you to. Part of my professional expertise is that of accident reconstruction, specifically for fatality accidents. What are your qualifications?

Even if it is a single vehicle accident on a public roadway, at those speeds in a street legal vehicle, the accident is nearly always fatal for the driver. Even a single vehicle accident is a big problem for everyone. A fatality accident costs on average $75,000 to clean up and investigate. That's just the public's tax money for first responders and the investigation. That doesn't include the family, insurance issues, later law suits and all the other costs and events surrounding such an accident.

There are places to go to safely drive those types of speeds, a public roadway is not one of them!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am grown up, this person can not act as an adult, and should not be allowed to drive on open roads, even if he has the skills to do so.

-he was driving at 180mph in a 75mph area at 13h41 (early afternoon)
-the motorway is NEVER empty
-in a 4 mile radius of where he got busted, there are 2 motorway entries and exits, plus also a resting place, which gives 6 spots where people can enter or exit, generally at lower speeds.

Had he broken the Swiss speeding record a couple of months earlier, he wouldn't have had a single problem, because the older generation of radars could measure only till 136MPH.

I would never speed that much, because I will never be able to afford that kind of card.

I did speed when I was a "younger" driver, around 130mph. Yes it can be fun, yes you can save time. It doesn't bring much. It can cost time, money, health, life, just like skydiving. Skydiving is funner.

My new "game" while driving, is driving as close as possible to the general speed, but trying to have the best fuel efficiency possible (cause fuel is expensive here, and I still have to drive. I am cheap when it comes to giving my money to BP/Shell et al.)

> But, there are roads out there, that have no side roads. No turn outs. No
>drive ways. A simple ride up and back assures that not a single person
>could possibly EVER be at risk of a collision . . .

Other than:

animals
hikers
mountain bikers
snowmobilers (in winter)
ATV's
Another guy foolish enough to think "the road's clear; there's no risk at all!"

There is indeed a way to make sure that not a single person could possibly EVER be at risk of a collision - go to a track.

I love arguing with a police officer over the internet, about SPEEDING of all things. HA! You will argue all day about not speeding, but then you will go 145mph catching someone (who is only going 90) and justify it somehow.

Again, there are roads out there that people know well, and can safely drive at very high speeds. You will never be able to completely eliminate all risk, but it is like that at a track too. I am not saying that some teenager should buy the next greatest supercar and see how fast they can go right off the lot.
Check out this link:
http://www.sscc.us/

So, what makes this safe? Because it is a racetrack? No. It is safer because of the sole fact that no other vehicles are on the road, but not anything else. I believe that it is possible to reduce the risks of driving on certain public roads to equal or lesser levels than that of the event in the above link. It is all about discretion, and becoming very very familiar with roads in far away places.

>So, what makes this safe? Because it is a racetrack? No. It is safer because
>of the sole fact that no other vehicles are on the road, but not anything
>else.

Uh, no. There will also be no people on the road, and that will be enforced by the police, who close the road to other traffic for the event. They will also keep an eye on conditions, and shut down the course if need be.

>I believe that it is possible to reduce the risks of driving on certain public
>roads to equal or lesser levels than that of the event in the above link.

Absolutely. Talk to the cops and the state, arrange an event like the above and go for it. That's not the problem - the problems are the idiots who think that if the road looks clear they're perfectly safe (as long as no cops see them, of course.)

So the difference is pedestrians and road conditions? A person who knows a small strip of land well, can easily assure that both of those factors are eliminated. At that race, they have flag guys every 10 MILES! These guys are going flat out for a long ways, and if the road conditions suddenly change, it will take a little while to know about it.
So, what is more dangerous, competing in that event or momentarily driving very fast on a similar stretch of road after riding up and down it several times, assuring to what is almost definitely a higher degree, that risks have been reduced to an acceptable level?