JerryBaumchen

WTF????

Earlier this summer, New York City's Metropolitan Transit Authority announced that it would be rearranging some of its subway signs because they resembled a slightly naughty bit of internet slang.

The signage for the F, M, and L lines read "FML," which savvy web users know as self-deprecating shorthand for "F -- My Life." The double meaning of its signs caught the transit authority off guard, but they've worked quickly to switch around the letters.

New York's subways are hardly the first victims of acronym problems, though. Let's take a look at ten other organizations, places, and businesses that have realized a bit too late that their initials meant a little more than they had intended.

In 2009, the Wisconsin Tourism Federation's biggest problem wasn't finding a way to attract more people to the metropolitan Kenosha area; it was the realization that its initials mirrored the slang abbreviation for "What the F--?"

The WTF from America's Dairyland has been around since 1979, so it likely predates the vulgar WTF. In the end, though, you can't fight an internet meme. The organization changed its name to the Tourism Federation of Wisconsin.

The WTF's only consolation must be that it's not alone. In 2008, the North Carolina DMV allowed drivers whose license plates contained "WTF" to swap out their tags free of charge. The DMV also had to change its website; the sample plate pictured on the site was "WTF-5505."

While FAA identifiers for airports aren't technically acronyms, the three-letter codes can give rise to their own headaches. Just ask the Sioux City Gateway Airport, which the FAA saddled with the unfortunate designator "SUX."

Airport authorities petitioned for a new code, and the FAA -- and this is not a joke -- offered them "GAY" as a nod to the "Gateway" part of the airport's name.

Sioux City decided that switching to GAY probably wouldn't save them much sophomoric taunting, so officials decided to make the best of the SUX situation. Now the airport markets playful T-shirts emblazoned with slogans like "Fly SUX."

SUX might not even be the worst airport code. According to a 2008 Los Angeles Times story, Fresno's is FAT, and Perm, Russia's is PEE. The big winner has to be Fukuoka, Japan, though. We'll let you guess how that one gets abbreviated

In 2007, Seattle opened a new streetcar line connecting the South Lake Union neighborhood to the city's downtown.

While the project was officially called the South Lake Union Streetcar, local residents began ribbing it as the South Lake Union Trolley, or SLUT.

Although the city and the line's developers did what they could to dispel the notion that the line had a bawdy name, residents still refer to it as the SLUT; in 2007 the Seattle Post-Intelligencer even reported that a coffeehouse was selling T-shirts that read, "Ride the SLUT."

In 2002, Microsoft had to do a little rearranging on the fly. It quickly and quietly changed its ribald "Critical Update Notification Tool" to the more family friendly "Critical Updated Notification Utility."

In 2002, Microsoft had to do a little rearranging on the fly. It quickly and quietly changed its ribald "Critical Update Notification Tool" to the more family friendly "Critical Updated Notification Utility."

They had another one later that year as well. They renamed IT Operations to Global Operations and Technology.

Ok so not so bad in the US.. but the Germans had an immediate shit fit. Seems that GOT did not go over with them so well. That name lasted about 2 days till it became ITG

The exit for the L.A. airport could've been... EX-LAX!

Chuck

Actually Chuck ..... that would be Burbank, since it was the primary airport before LAX really came into its own.

I personally think Ex-LAX is sorta fitting for Burbank

Hi Jerry,
Funny how that goes. 'Know the 3 letter Riggers' seal has a lot of combos and then some years ago they started making letter-letter-number combos also. I posted some forum about the codes 3 of my early Skydiving buds got when they got their senior ticket. Ben Seal, Numan Gill and Charlie LeBlanc got their tickets from some Designee at the NAVSTA in New Iberia La. when it was still there, about 1962 I think. Ben got "FUJ" Numan got "FUL" and Charlie got the one in the middle, "F-U-K"!!!!!B|B|:ph34r::ph34r::D:D;);) Charlie still has it I'm sure as I would have heard over the years if the FAA freaaked over it.

SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

They had another one later that year as well. They renamed IT Operations to Global Operations and Technology.

Ok so not so bad in the US.. but the Germans had an immediate shit fit. Seems that GOT did not go over with them so well. That name lasted about 2 days till it became ITG

Is "mein gott" in German the same as "my God" in english?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The exit for the L.A. airport could've been... EX-LAX!

Chuck

Actually Chuck ..... that would be Burbank, since it was the primary airport before LAX really came into its own.

I personally think Ex-LAX is sorta fitting for Burbank

Shows, how much I know about the Left coast. :$

Chuck

Ride the SLUT gave me a good chuckle :) nice article thanks!
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"