sundevil777

Cruiser/chopper style motorcycle foot position

It seems that the position of the footpegs/footboards for the cruiser style bikes is extremely far forward.

Doesn't that make it very difficult/impossible to stand up on the pegs? Doesn't it make controlling the bike more difficult if either of the wheels are sliding, whether intentionally during a powerslide, or unintentionally?

Highway pegs have been around for a long time, but previously they were a secondary peg location. Now a far forward position is the standard position for many bikes.

I put about 30K miles on the streets (plus a lot of dirt bike riding) of Phoenix long ago, and I remember it being very important to be able to put my weight on the pegs in case I had to (or wanted to :D) run over a bump/obstacle, or even just a pothole. I would think trying to do that with the pegs so far forward would be more like doing a pull up with your arms than just standing up to put weight on the pegs.

Of course the ape-hanger handlebars that some choose for their cruiser bikes make control even more difficult, but I think the lack of control due to the handlebars is already acknowledged.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems that the pursuit of style has gone wrong.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

It seems that the position of the footpegs/footboards for the cruiser style bikes is extremely far forward.

You answered your own question.
Its all about "Extreme". Everything nowadays is extreme.
Doesnt matter if its uncomfortable or dangerous as long as its....."Extreme"

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems that the pursuit of style has gone wrong.

Dude, it's all style, no function for choppers. I see those ultra custom bikes, can't imagine anything less safe or comfortable to ride. :S

Thankfully we're not making parachute gear like that . . . yet. "Oh wow, a chromed barbed wire reserve handle to match my tats. Coooool!" :S:D

Dude, it's all style, no function for choppers

Style (bad), and noise. Sometimes I wish I had a massive air horn that I could deploy to physically blow some bikers over. Not only are the bikes stupidly loud, but they blip the throttle needlessly just to enhance it.

I seem to have strayed a bit from my original post...:)
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

never ridden a chopped / bobbed / ape hangered equiped bike, huh????

B|

some people just don't get it....:S

we're loud for a reason...you hear us, which makes you look...so you SEE US!!!;)
beats the hell outta the bikes that are as quit as a sewing machine.....[:/]

never ridden a chopped / bobbed / ape hangered equiped bike, huh????

B|

some people just don't get it....:S

I have and they SUCK.
Rode a god awefull Sporty again today.:S:S:S
I cant wait for my bike to be rebuilt:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You're not kidding. Just wait till all those people realize they could've found that same set-up if they just bought a John Deere mower....form and function...:):o

:P

:D:ph34r::ph34r::D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I love the forward controls on my Wide-Glide. Nice relaxed leg posistion, instead of all bent up underneath me. My 10" rise handlebars are nice, too, and will be replaced with 16" ape hangers in the not-too-distant future. Much more comfortable than being all hunched over a gas tank and looking like a monkey fucking a football.

Easy Does It

Who said Sporty?
Those are as bad as those silly donor bikes that have you all hunched over the football..
:S:S
Sporty's SUCK!

try spending a REAL ride on a big twin...maybe like 8 hours or more...THEN you will appreciate the forward controls, wide stance, solid heavy framed bike, comfortable arm positions...oh wait...you guys don't REALLY ride do you???:o
:D:ph34r::D:ph34r:

I liked highway pegs on longer trips but a lot of people are buying bikes now that only ride to the candy-ass cotillion every third Saturday (after golf)and want to look cool. Oh well, take that much rake, a hardtail frame and add 3 white wine spritzers and they'll be taking themselves out of the market.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

My 2005 FatBoy has footboards that are quite comfy and sufficiently large
that I can position my feet fairly far forward for highway comfort, but also slide them back far enough that I can easily raise myself up on them when going over a bump.

These are stock on the Fatboy

I think you can pretty much have them any way you like. Most guys I know
have 2 sets of pegs exactly as you described.
Any of the Harleys I've seen that have controls and pegs really far forward were specifically requested by the buyer to be set up that way.
There are also different options available for different models.

I expect its this way for every manufacturer, whether they are from the USA, Japan, Germany, or wherever.

Bottom line is its just up to the rider how they get set up.
__

My mighty steed

Who said Sporty?
Those are as bad as those silly donor bikes that have you all hunched over the football..
:S:S
Sporty's SUCK!

try spending a REAL ride on a big twin...maybe like 8 hours or more...THEN you will appreciate the forward controls, wide stance, solid heavy framed bike, comfortable arm positions...oh wait...you guys don't REALLY ride do you???:o
:D:ph34r::D:ph34r:

Oh Come on Mark you're showing your illiteracy,:P they were 2 separate statements
I've spent plenty ofvtime on
Dynas and Softarses they almost sucxk as much as the Sporty :P:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'll give you that....not personally a fan of softies or dynas either...the FXR frame - and the touring version of it in use today for that matter - is IMO the best thing HD ever made.
All this is to change in the very near future thanks to the EPA anyway...get ready for the Revolution motor to take over the HD line of sleds...the Z-Rod will be the power plant of the big twin market now (or so they are telling us now) ... different sound...different look...different frames....but 140 HP stock!;)

...but 140 HP stock!;)

so. my vmax has 145 stock, and it was design 20 years ago. any HDs wanna race for pinks? i painted my Vmax flat back...its all go...no show, the way it should be.

...but 140 HP stock!;)

so. my vmax has 145 stock, and it was design 20 years ago. any HDs wanna race for pinks? i painted my Vmax flat back...its all go...no show, the way it should be.

I'll take on your V Max and Marks Harley on my Guzzi, just so long as We can have a few corners in the race:D:D:D
My mate has an imported 1st release Vmax, before they detuned them for OZ, it goes wicked fast when the Vboost kicks in but it cant corner for shit:ph34r::ph34r:
Japanese produced, american Street drag bike:ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

THEN you will appreciate the forward controls, wide stance

What is it that is good about being wide? I Especially don't understand wanting it to be so wide at the bottom, limiting ground clearance - the ability to turn.

I hadn't heard the term "donor bikes", what is that about? The old school term was "cafe racer". I agree that type of riding position is no good for extended riding. There used to be many sporty bikes that had a traditional riding position, not at all like a cafe racer, not at all like a cruiser.

...but 140 HP stock!;)

I'll take on your V Max and Marks Harley on my Guzzi, just so long as We can have a few corners in the race:D:D:D
My mate has an imported 1st release Vmax, before they detuned them for OZ, it goes wicked fast when the Vboost kicks in but it cant corner for shit:ph34r::ph34r:
Japanese produced, american Street drag bike:ph34r:

yep, your right, the Vmax is all staight line...i put a set of drag bars on, it helps with the infamous "Vmax wobble"

"corners" on a vmax?...well, thats just not fair! :P

Hmm... I'm still not seeing many MG's on the record sites... :P

2 points
1st one you missed the point completly, I'm well aware of my speed limits on my Guzzi, my point was that it CORNERS way better than the Vmax or Harley.

Point number two go do some research on the V7 Sport or the Guzzi V8
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I hadn't heard the term "donor bikes", what is that about? The old school term was "cafe racer". I agree that type of riding position is no good for extended riding. There used to be many sporty bikes that had a traditional riding position, not at all like a cafe racer, not at all like a cruiser.

Donor bikes are hyper sport bikes with organ donors riding them

They would be Tourers or Sport tourers.

I love Cafe Racers :)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hmm... I'm still not seeing many MG's on the record sites... :P

2 points
1st one you missed the point completly, I'm well aware of my speed limits on my Guzzi, my point was that it CORNERS way better than the Vmax or Harley.

Point number two go do some research on the V7 Sport or the Guzzi V8

I knew what you MEANT, Squeak... just wanted to give ya shit, that's all!!! :D

Point of order, however... a cafe racer is always going to out-corner a cruiser, all else being equal.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Point of order, however... a cafe racer is always going to out-corner a cruiser, all else being equal.

Well DUH!:S:P
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ah...so you *ADMIT* you were trying to skew the results in your favor!! :D:D:D
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ah...so you *ADMIT* you were trying to skew the results in your favor!! :D:D:D

No just level the playing field, my bike is like 70bhp, against 145bhp, without corners i dont stand a chance in hell.

Short straights ands lots of corners pleaseB|:ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?