skymama

Turning the electricity off...is it ok?

Gee, Don't you have a built in heater lying next to you in bed ?....

Nope, but that's not important in this thread.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

When I was staying with a friend in Ossining NYS one of the first thing I noticed was your heating systems are quite primaitve
compared to other developed countries, I installed an anti freeze switch in his system that over rode the termostat
and as long as their wasent a power outage he could shut the system down when he went on trips away and if the temp dropped
to 40F the system would automatically come on

Gone fishing

.... the first thing I noticed was your heating systems are quite primaitve
compared to other developed countries...

:D

Are you saying there's something more advanced than central air and digital thermostats?
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Are you saying there's something more advanced than central air and digital thermostats?
Zep may have actually instead been referring to 'quite inefficient compared to other developed countries' -- which is more accurate. Some countries do pick on efficiencies much more aggressively, due to double fuel costs, etc. Do you know now how expensive fuel is, in Europe?

Zep may have actually instead been referring to 'quite inefficient compared to other developed countries' -- which is more accurate. Some countries do pick on efficiencies much more aggressively, due to double fuel costs, etc. Do you know now how expensive fuel is, in Europe?

Word... ;)

i heat with wood...old school. no worries about power outages, ever. :)

>Are you saying there's something more advanced than central air and
>digital thermostats?

Definitely. Centralized hot air/AC is pretty low tech these days (although it works ok if efficiency, noise and cleaning aren't big deals.)

So what is it?

>So what is it?

What is what? Efficient? Radiant heating systems are probably the most efficient systems out there right now. No blower motors, no filters to clean, no duct losses.

Radiant cooling works in all but the most humid climates. For very humid areas, a combination of radiant cooling and an air handler is probably the most efficient combination.

hey bill, make sure they understand the difference between "efficient" and "cost." ie., cheaper does not mean more efficient. many people actually think that a gas water heater is more efficient than electrical, simply because in many areas, the "cost" is less. but then again, our education system does not seem to teach many this idea.

>So what is it?

What is what? Efficient? Radiant heating systems are probably the most efficient systems out there right now. No blower motors, no filters to clean, no duct losses.

Radiant cooling works in all but the most humid climates. For very humid areas, a combination of radiant cooling and an air handler is probably the most efficient combination.

I said "advanced", and forced air is more advanced than radiant heat, and in some cases likely more efficient as well, depending on the system and space to be heated. But then maybe 'new age' is a better way to put it.

At the very least, a forced air system is more effective in heating a room faster than a radiant heat system.

>So what is it?

I said "advanced", and forced air is more advanced than radiant heat, and in some cases likely more efficient as well, depending on the system and space to be heated. But then maybe 'new age' is a better way to put it.

At the very least, a forced air system is more effective in heating a room faster than a radiant heat system.

placing a fan in the system, and burning gas, (less efficent than radiant heat) is more "advanced?" Yes, it heats faster, but consumes more energy, ie...BTUs (british thermal units). radiant heat is slow, but more efficient and more comfortable once room is to temp. I have both in my home, a FAU (forced air unit) and radiant (wood stove)... wood stove waaaaaaay more comfortable.

radiant heat is slow, but more efficient and more comfortable once room is to temp.

Well, I will say that if I was building a new home tomorrow personally I would go with radiant floor heating. :)

>I said "advanced", and forced air is more advanced than radiant heat

No, it's not. It's noisier, less efficient, causes some people problems with allergies and low humidity levels, and requires higher heat differentials. Radiant heat is a bit more complex but works a lot better. (But as I said, forced air may well be fine for most people.)

>At the very least, a forced air system is more effective in heating a room
>faster than a radiant heat system.

That's true. Most people, however, want to maintain a given temperature in their home, rather than change it up and down rapidly.

radiant heat is slow, but more efficient and more comfortable once room is to temp.

Well, I will say that if I was building a new home tomorrow personally I would go with radiant floor heating. :)

[Thread hijack] I cannot wait for our move to Korea. Heated floors, hurray! [\thread hijack]

the real issue is what they do when they return, the apt probably has a heat pump, if they come in and move the T-stat to (let's say) 68 then the heat strips will come on and eliminate a weeks worth of savings

Probably no heat pump, just baseboard radiant.

/reply]

Dear John - stick to seperating flying metal :)

You may be right about the heat source. If so, then how they turn it back on doesn't matter.

I didn't say that the cost to reheat would exceed the (total) savings. If I had said that then you would be correct.

What I said was it would equal "a weeks worth of savings", purely a guess. A typical heat pump (no such thing) can "make" 2.5 units of heat for each $1 of operating cost. Strip heat or baseboard heat makes 1 unit of heat for $1. So the heat pump is considerably more economical. Heat pumps merely move heat from one place to another.

So you're saying I'm correct in my model. I didn't really consider yours, but you are correct in yours too. I haven't had an apartment in years, so I have no experience with any with heat pumps. Pretty fancy for most apartments. I always just had baseboard heat.

For most heat pumps and thermostats, if you raise the temp more than 2 degrees it will cause the heat strips to energize.

Well, that's a good number to know. ;) So, heat pumps are 2.5 times more efficient than baseboard? Is that air cycle or ground loop type? Maybe I'll have to install one in my rental house. :)

Well, that's a good number to know. ;) So, heat pumps are 2.5 times more efficient than baseboard? Is that air cycle or ground loop type? Maybe I'll have to install one in my rental house. :)

those were generic answers to an undefined situation

check with your local HVAC guys to see what is best in your area, in cold climates a HP may not be a good idea

the COP rating gives the efficiency of the unit, ground source heat pumps have higher efficiencies than air-to-air but more expensive to install

Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

hey bill, make sure they understand the difference between "efficient" and "cost." ie., cheaper does not mean more efficient....

Curling up under a down comforter with a hooker is pretty damn efficient but I'm sure the cost would be higher.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

My son will be leaving his apartment in Tallahassee today for about a month for winter break. He and his roommates are going to turn the electricity off during that time. It gets below freezing there during the winter. I don't know much about what to do in cold weather; do you foresee any problems with that? My suggestion was to leave the heat on, but at a low temp like 62 or so.

Help, cold weather people!

Years ago the pipes burst from freezing in a house we lived in in NY. The house was on the market and we had moved to MI.
The heating oil was not delivered and the pipes broke in the upstairs master bathroom. It destroyed the bathroom and the dining room on the first floor.

But that was NY.

Tallahassee ?
That's much more like the climate I live in now.
I turn off the heat at night, including the pilot light.
When I leave for more than a weekend, the heat is off.
The only thing left plugged in is the refridge.
Everything else is unplugged.

If he's in an apartment complex, chances are that the piping runs inside the common wall between the apartments.
For FL, I wouldn't worry about it.
If it was a place where the daytime temps did not rise above freezing for several days in a row, then I'd worry about it.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Gee, Don't you have a built in heater lying next to you in bed ?....

Nope, but that's not important in this thread.

:o
Skymama is available???:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

hey bill, make sure they understand the difference between "efficient" and "cost." ie., cheaper does not mean more efficient....

Curling up under a down comforter with a hooker is pretty damn efficient but I'm sure the cost would be higher.

:ph34r::ph34r::o:P

If its not OK to turn the electricity off, then one thing to think about is what happens if it turns itself off - fuses blow, circuit breakers open. This could be because of a fault inside the building or external events such as lightning.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Wouldn't it require two hookers?
One to warm each side?:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.