Commanderfish

First Rig container: Mirage, Icon or Infinity

I have only seen a couple icons up close. But they looked to me like there is a real good reason they are cheaper, and probably built quicker, than a vector. Quality-wise, I have no idea how a mirage compares to a vector. All I know is Bill Booth can explain every detail of the Vector and why it was designed as it was. And every explanation somehow ends with safety.

So anyway, back to the original question that was asked here. The only thing I've read here is they're all the same. I don't agree with that, but lets here from some owners as to why you like one of those rigs. "It's comfy" or "it looks good" isn't much of an answer because EVERY rig is the most comfortable to somebody and every rig is best looking to someone else.

Overall I love my vector because I think it's the best designed rig available. I don't believe it's most comfortable or best looking. But I also like the little pockets under each arm. Perfect spot to store my pull up cord.

I also love that the closing loop connects to the bottom flap. Only have to get the loop through 3 grommets instead of 4. Speeds up my packing a little. Took a few packjobs to get used to, and my rigger mentioned it was a feature he didn't like when I first got it. But after a few packjobs, I realized how much easier it made packing (compared to my reflex). It also means I never need to pull my pull up cord toward the top of my container, which I always found to be the hardest direction to get leverage, since you can't sit the rig up on the yoke to push toward the floor (my reflex was extremely tight).

Of course I also like the skyhook and collins lanyard, but I haven't used either one to see for myself.

So what do mirage, icon, and infinity owners like about their rigs...specifically?

Dave

First... My experience... I only have 75 ish jumps now... All on rental gear - because my Vector has yet to arrive. (I am crossing my fingers for this week.)

I have jumped and packed the main on an Infinity, a Mirage, a Vector, a Talon, A Javelin and an Icon - all in the last two months.

The skyhook was valuable to me so I got a Vector. But the Infinity was the most comfy rig and I have talked with Kelly on the phone and know his customer service would be awesome, something I have not experienced at some other brands...

I would only buy an Infinity or Vector. I would keep a Mirage if given to me... If any other container was given to me, I likely would trade for one of the above. But - it is all about fit and the reserve skyhook system for me...

But guess what dude... I asked the same question as you and got 100 different answers, so good luck making a decision.:P

I got a Mirage (G4) for my first rig and although I'm not sure I like the Split main packing bag (its kind of a pain to get the first rubber band closed because you have to get it through two grommits) overall it seems to be a great rig. Quality workmanship, good attention to detail, etc...

If I had to do it again I would have gotten the Unisyn (I think thats right) or Hip rings but in general the rig fits really well...

Mirage now offers a non-split D-bag for the G4. $55 for a replacement or no charge for a new order.

Also, I don't think the unisys is necessary unless the jumper has a very large chest such that the chest strap will have to wrap around their chest instead of just going across the chest, but that's my opinion.

Why did I choose my mirage? Safety!

From excellent pin protection to improved riser, bridle, and flap security; even the little details that other brands didn't do like grommet protection, strongest reserve spring available, and the better customer service of the two companies I contacted. Probably my deciding factor was their support for the troops; while other companies may have given a deal, it was neither well known (they didn't seem concerned with letting the jumpers who could benefit from it know) nor were the other deals as generous. Oh, and their short order time, especially compared to the companies who obviously are more concerned with their military contracts. But that's just me....everyone is going to have their opinion. :P

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Guys, this is all awesome advice. Thanks! I guess I'm just going to have to go out there and try more rigs. I was wondering whether I'd be able to get a new container whilst I'm out there but it sounds like they're all made to emasure and take a long time for delivery. Well you never know, maybe they'll have a second hand container which I like...

Having read all these posts, I've got a feeling the choice is going to be between Mirage, Infinity or maybe Vector...

By the way, my strange posting times are due to me being in London... working for the Discovery channel as it happens.

As a side-project, I'm going to try and make a 5 minute documentary about skydiving whilst I'm at Eloy for submission to the employee competition (winners get aired worldwide). There aren't enough programs about skydiving, don't you think? Maybe that's why there aren't enough skydivers...

Why buy a copy? If u like Mirages why don't you get the state of the art version: Vector III:)

ehm because mirage g4 looks better, doh... :P and they are both about same quality.

:oemmh, and mirages have skyhook, emmh and they haven't just had a service bulletin , mmmh and they're not a 2 year behind copy of a vectorIII , and mirage put alll the R and D in not RWS mmmmh.........I wonder

What the hell are you talking about??!?!?! >:(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I stole this off someone elese's post but it basically sums it for me

:)

The Infinity has the best riser coverage system on any rig currently available, period...and it looks good too. You basically have two complete layers holding the risers in place, but they're designed such that they don't lock against each other. I've never had a riser cover failure on either on my Infinities.

The Harness is designed with an intentionally low hip junction...something that a few riggers in Southern California just couldn't get their heads around. Based on how your body moves and the angles that your "traditional" harness takes when you wear it, you basically end up being "hung" by the harness. By moving the junction down a few inches you are "sitting" in the harness...more like sitting in a saddle than hanging. Add the nice, wide leg pads to the equation and you're in for a comfy ride.

For some reason, this being different from what others were doing freaked out some people and a few riggers complained that the harness must simply be built wrong. I don't know what these guys had against comfort, but Kelly's Harness is about as comfortable as they come.

VSE is a small company that is playing with the big boys. They don't spend a ton of money on their advertising because their rig is so good they don't need to. Infinity owners sell the rig, not flash graphics. Ask yourself this: Who pays for advertising? Answer: You do.

By keeping their costs down, they are able to keep their prices down. Do you want to pay more to allow your favorite mfg. to run bigger ads to make more money for them, or would you rather spend less money for a really great rig and spend the extra money on jump tickets? It's your choice.

The Infinity has killer pin protection, a good, solid wrap-around main container, is easy to pack and easy for your rigger to pack (and make look good!).

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Here's the simple fact that folks are overlooking (for the most part). The Vector III is the only rig offering the Skyhook. If you are going to be using an RSL of any kind (and you absolutely should be), the Skyhook is the quickest acting variant around. Period.

If you are buying a new rig, you might as well get some new technology out it. If you are going to purchase another container, do yourself a favor, and buy used, and save your self some money.

emmh, and mirages have skyhook, emmh and they haven't just had a service bulletin , mmmh and they're not a 2 year behind copy of a vectorIII , and mirage put alll the R and D in not RWS mmmmh.........I wonder

I get it alright. What u don't seem to get is unlike yourself I never said my opinion was better, I simply posted some comments about the mirage, as I have recently brought a rig and did a fair bit of research (and extensive advice from very experienced people). I've always got my ears open, shame yours aren't to people with lesser experience.

Might want to check your notes, the Mirage doesn't offer the Skyhook, Mirage did have a recent SB, and the Mirage came out after the Vector III. Your opinion isn't better, it's wrong.

Derek

NCrowe. I will not put all of what you wrote down again but I would like to add a few things.

My Infinity is super comfortable and fits so well that when I am sitflying the leg straps stay put without wandering around. I have seen SOOO many rigs that have the little freefly bungie between the legstraps.. My Infinity does not need one because it fits and they stay put.

The pin protection is superb and since I speed skydive.. I want to make SURE that everything stays closed until I want it to open. No flap on my rig has ever been loose in freefall at any speed and I have been in the 300 mph range a few times. I like the fact that there is complete coverage for my pilot chute. I do not want any part of it exposed to those kinds of wind.

Because Velocity is small they can do customer service that is out of this world.
This morning I took in a used Infinity sold almost 2 years ago to modify it to my standards ( chest strap lower and a few other mods to make me happy) I also needed a longer chest strap on my current rig so I can open up my canopy a little more.. The owner took care of it on the spot. Kelly is known for his customer service by many in this sport.

When I was jumping back in the 70's I lusted after the Booth Wonderhog... when I got back into the sport a couple years ago I reallly wanted to get a new rig. I wanted to FINALLY get the latest creation from RWS. BUT a fellow skydiver here at work hooked me up with Velocity because I needed some modifications to the basic rig because of certain figure issues I have:P That has been a very fortunate discovery for me of Velocity Sports Equipment and their Infinity. That original Infinity rig I bought 2 years ago was there today being modified to provide a perfect fit for the new jumper that bought it from me. They are staffed up and the delivery times for an Infinity are great. Call and ask Kelly at VSE.

I love my Infinity.

I love the fact we all look at things differently.

I love the split bag, it makes bagging my fat little 93 Xaos a breeze.

yeah, its nice to see things differently... if we didn't there wouldn't be so many options to chose from.

of course I should clarify that I find it very difficult to put canopies in any bag (due to lack of experience no doubt...)

Because we're ramping up for a big military order in June, we have excess capacity for the next 6 weeks or so, which means you can probably get a custom Vector in about 6-8 weeks. Call and ask for an exact quote. After June, we are going to be very busy, and lead times will probably increase again.