skygypsie

Logical, scientific explanation...or paranormal ?

Ok, this has been going on too much & no longer be rationalized as a coincidence !

I need some reasonable explanations as to some unusual occurences in our home, lately....other than I'm 'batshit crazy', at least not most of the time !

We completely shut down our computer every night. I'm mean hitting the power buttons on the monitor & PC. The 'office' is adjacent to our bedroom.

At least 3x per week, we see the illumination of the screen light up, & if volume is on...sounds of music or dialogue, as if a video was playing. How can this happen ?

Also, most nights at the exact same time ( 3:20 am) the computer goes on, the cuckoo clock in the living room stops. I pull the chains right before bedtime.
Throughout the day, I pull the chains up, & at the same hour-minute, there's no problem, nor during any other time with the clock.

All the logical reasons are addressed: It is not on an outside wall, it's balanced, chains are not hung up, or obstructed, it's a 24 hr. wind, is oiled & maintained as it is over 200 years old.

The other oddity...I find a single dime ( only dimes) in the most bizarre places , even if I had just been in the area... in the bed ( we sleep in the buff), under a pair of shoes I've just taken off, on the rug in the bathroom after getting out of the shower, on the dashboard of my car, I found 5 of them while planting flowers last fall.
Freaky thing, they all have the same date, 2001 !

I've accused my husband of messing with me, which he denies !

He always tried to come up with a logical reason, until he started witnessing some of the other things going on.
We leave the room to come back in & find the recliner foot rest up, brand new flat screen goes off, channels turn while watching ( the old one did the same thing), a heavy glass dish upside down on the kitchen floor.
It was unbroken & no sound of it hitting the floor.
A lamp fell off night stand, while in another room. We heard that !
While sitting side by side, we watched a bi-fold open a few inches, in an unoccupied room !

Our dog will not stay in a room, unless we are in it. She never had seperation anxiety before. We never had to kennel her while we worked up to 14 hrs/day at the DZ until this past season.

My Mother-in law stops over to water, feed & let her out; when we're gone that long, so no, she's not left that long unattended to !

We now have to kennel her EVERY time she is left, even for just a few minutes.
We've come home to find she had jumped through a screen & was sitting by the door waiting for us, EVERY door in the house had been scratched, she had knocked kitchen plants over & her dog prints were on the countertops & stove ( which is by the back door) & she has broken claws off, scratching to get out of her kennel.
She is otherwise, an excellent dog !

The house is done settling, it was built in one of the older districts when the city was established.
It is not on a fault, doors & windows are shut, yadayada !

Other then seek out therapy, any thoughts, or better yet...explanations ? :|

Have you seen the old movie, "Gaslight"?

As for "other" explanations, I don't know if that stuff is real but I do believe that "there is more to the world than in my philosophy."
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Do you turn off your computer from the front panel switch or from the switch in the PSU?

Front switches, on both !
Is that the explanation...& if so, why doesn't it turn on every night, & why the same time when it does ?

If it could be the reason, I'll chalk the rest up as old clock, old house, jealous dog & huge ass mice !

The dimes...maybe I just notice them more than pennies :S

---------------------------------------------------------

To the 2 Grammar Cops...grade the content & subject matter all you want, but for my lack of correct paragraph indentations & sentence structure...my book learnin' days are long gone :P

Do you turn off your computer from the front panel switch or from the switch in the PSU?

Is that the explanation...& if so, why doesn't it turn on every night, & why the same time when it does ?

because you probably aren't actually turning off the computer... and there is probaly some background process that is scheduled to be completed at/around the same time everynight... so the computer turns on to accomplish that task.

turning off a computer unfortunately or fortunately depending on your perspective... isn't usually as simply a matter of pressing an on/off switch...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

If you switch the computer off from the front panel and it has been configured in certain ways it can be remotely turned on over LAN or by modem.

Usually, by default, computers are sold with settings so that it isn't possible and the user has to turn that feature on.

Try switching the power off from the computer by using the switch in the back panel (in the PSU) as that should make sure that it won't spuriously power on by itself.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

If you switch the computer off from the front panel and it has been configured in certain ways it can be remotely turned on over LAN or by modem.

Usually, by default, computers are sold with settings so that it isn't possible and the user has to turn that feature on.

Try switching the power off from the computer by using the switch in the back panel (in the PSU) as that should make sure that it won't spuriously power on by itself.

I'll try turning it off in the back tonight.

My husband said it was probably something like that.

But you know us females...there's got to be more to it then a logical explanation !

I'll tell him, he was right...AGAIN !

Thanks ! B|

[reply

But you know us females...there's got to be more to it then a logical explanation !

Thanks ! B|

You do realize that those helping you come to a logical solution to your mystery are just a part of the conspiracy don’t you?

[reply

Thanks ! B|

You do realize that those helping you come to a logical solution to your mystery are just a part of the conspiracy don’t you?

Oh that helps :|

You got some over neurotic nit wit looking for answers for some pretty off the wall, "less than reality" occurrences...thinking ok...it's all in my over reactive imagination...these are logical answers...then you tell me it's a conspiracy !

Well, just Swell [:/]

Jesse Ventura's already got me thinking he's on to something w/ weather machines controlling the world, one world order, & the rich man's caves under ground for next year's apocalypse !

I can already figure out in my mind, how to make
2 + 10 + 12 + 69 = 4 :S

So what are you saying ?
There really is a "boogie" man ? :o

Or are too, referring to my lack of proper sentence structure ? ;)

Or that all men are right ? :P

It's probably not paranormal. It's just the crazy guy who lives in your attic. Nothing to worry about.
As far as the computer is concerned, power it down, then unplug it, then press the power button. Now it's off until you plug it in again (unless it's a laptop with a battery or it's hooked to some sort of UPS).

I have heard that damn turtle runs a muck at night. i bet it might just be him...:P

Or and this is the most logical answer you will get...

you have ghosts.....booooowwaaaahhhhhaaaaaaa....:P

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

what the others said of your PC. a power spike (or defect in the power supply) could also happen to turn it on randomly.

the dog could actually be responding to your own nervousness, not to anything real.

if strange things continue. you might have a ghost in your home :) I'm a physicist, and I can tell you that 99.99999% reports of paranormal activity are just bogus, but there's probably a 0.00001% true. in that case, it's very easy to get rid of it and send it on its way. light some incense in every room, print the picture of a true saint or Jesus will do too, or Buddha, or Krishna -what appeals to you. bless every room and visualize it as full of light and you'll be fine.
glimmering light

Thanks ! B|

He is right a soft off (front button can still have an event wake the computer such as for maintenance routine)

Other than that you guys have some dead skydiver bag living with you, if you find someone got all your good stuff and used it;), it was Bivins.B|

Especially if you find a pair of men's underwear in your bathroom sink, size 38!

If so tell him to get his ass to my house we need his negotiating skills on the new car.

He was my best friend alive, then he had to go and fucking die.[:/]

I know two of us want to ring his neck for doing that.

He left a hole the size of the grand canyon in all our lives.

The very first day I met him was at my brand new job, day 1.

He got me in some real serious trouble.:)B|:$

I got picked up by some chick while i was working in the middle of the highway and he went with and ate the groceries she had just purchased.

Henry was always looking for free food.

Saved his money for jumps and missed nearly every Monday at work.

He had bagland hangovers

You've been dealing with this for a while then you ask us for advice....and not once did you try to video it?
WEAKSAUCE!!!!:D

You can make a 1/4 a billion dollars if you capture this on video and all you've been doing is collecting dimes?
WEAKSAUCE!!!:P

My photos

My Videos

as for the dimes... I'd bet they're just falling out of pockets unoticed... being such a light coin a dime is probably more prone to being inadvertantly extracated from pockets then another coin... but that's just my guess...

the only other possibility is a gremlin or elf... wandering around leaving dimes in places... they are also known for that sort of thing...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

as for the dimes... I'd bet they're just falling out of pockets unoticed... being such a light coin a dime is probably more prone to being inadvertantly extracated from pockets then another coin... but that's just my guess...

the only other possibility is a gremlin or elf... wandering around leaving dimes in places... they are also known for that sort of thing...

While I think its probably the husband as I know damn well I would do some shit like that...

I say collect the dimes, free money!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

as for the dimes... .

Well, there's the most important clue! Aliens! They always carry dimes with them because they never know when they may have to ....(wait for it, wait for it) .....PHONE HOME! :)
I know, I know ....most of you under 40 probably don't know what pocket change (especially dimes) has to do telephones. :P

Have you seen the old movie, "Gaslight"?

As for "other" explanations, I don't know if that stuff is real but I do believe that "there is more to the world than in my philosophy."

Talk about coincidences...
the movie " Gaslight" was on last night...the '44 Ingrid Bergun version !

It's not my husband trying to drive me insane !
Evidently, I already am...for posting this :S

He's not into my over reactive drama, so much !

Obviously, the majority think there are reasonable explanations, so I will consider that's the case.

I've experienced abnormal occurrences before.

If I stated the most bizarre situations my sanity would be more questionable .

I pack for a living...I'd probably be out of work :|