kimgriffin

Vigil Save in MS

A jumper at Gold Coast Skydiving in Moss Point, MS, USA had a Vigil fire last month. His freefall portion of the skydive was standard but couldn't activate his main. His Vigil was in PRO mode (840 ft). Here is what the jumper said when asked to briefly describe the incident:

"Well, my main handle was tucked in and I just was digging for it too long, lost altitude awareness, the Vigil fired and I landed safe! Should have just hit my reserve handle but was not thinking."

After he provided the report on the incident, he was shipped a new cutter at no charge.

~Kim Griffin
Vigil USA
DeLand, Florida
-Kimberly Griffin

"Well, my main handle was tucked in and I just was digging for it too long, lost altitude awareness, the Vigil fired and I landed safe! Should have just hit my reserve handle but was not thinking."

After he provided the report on the incident, he was shipped a new cutter at no charge.

~Kim Griffin
Vigil USA
DeLand, Florida

Shouldn't you send him a bowling ball instead, he's already a dead man walking....... :P JUST KIDDIN' - congrats Kim (now where's my 2 pin test??????????) :P
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Yea I was there on that same load about 200 feet above him when he landed. 2 out biplane he flared one of the canopies on landing, no injuries. Karma is a bitch for that jumper..........

As in most cases like this, Karma had nothing to do with it. He put his head in a warm dark place and an electronic gadget saved his ass.:S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

2 out biplane he flared one of the canopies on landing, no injuries. Karma is a bitch for that jumper..........

So to clarify, the jumper had 2 out? So did the vigil fire during the main deployment or what? The original post made it sound like "nothing" got out except the reserve after the aad fire. Did the main deploy after the fire?

Yea I was there on that same load about 200 feet above him

You were 200 feet above a jumper(landing) that had an aad fire?

Let me describe what I ment. On the way to altitude the jumper was seen laying down on his back totally smashing his rig into the floor with his feet proped up on the window sills of the otter. On jump run a older jumper yelled out handle check. Which he might or probbaly did not do.

I'm not sure if that was meant as a knock on Vigil but at LP last year I saw numerous cypres fires that resulted in two out. The problem was not the device but the direct result of jumpers deploying their mains too low.

Sounds like that was clearly the case here.
illegible usually

By Vigil "save" I did mean that the Vigil fired at the speed and altitude it was meant to and in a life threatening situation. I hope the term "save" was not misleading. Maybe the words "Vigil fire" would have been a better description?

Actually, in his incident report the jumper did not mention that his main had deployed around the same time the Vigil cut the loop. News to me, thank you.

I agree, jumpers pulling low and having two canopies out due to an AAD fire around the same time are, unfortunately, not too uncommon.

~Kim Griffin
Vigil USA
DeLand, Florida

5 Vigil "saves" 4 had 2 canopies out.
Garik:(

The only Cypres 'save' I've been witness to resulted in a two out. What's your point?

Edit: I take that back. I've personally been witness to TWO Cypres 'saves', both resulting in a two out scenario.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

You're missing the point.

If Airtec posted information about every Cypres fire today you can bet that the majority of them would end up in a two canopies out scenario. Airtec though, due to the market dominance and acceptance doesn't have to post all of their saves, people already know that it works.

The question you should be asking or concerned with isn't "Why have 4/5 Vigil saves resulted in a two out?", but rather "Did the Vigil fire when it met the preprogrammed parameters or did it fire before that?" If the Vigil did fire when it was supposed to then it worked - that's a Good Thing (it also means that you need to look past the Vigil to explain the two out). If it didn't, then it's time to go back to the drawing board.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

You're missing the point.

If Airtec posted information about every Cypres fire today you can bet that the majority of them would end up in a two canopies out scenario. Airtec though, due to the market dominance and acceptance doesn't have to post all of their saves, people already know that it works.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The statistic that I want to see is the relationship between the number of field replacement Cypres cutters sold and the number of "fire" reports submitted.
I have a sneaking suspicion that far more cutters have been replaced than reports submitted because people were too embarrassed to admit that they scared their Cypres (within placarded limits).

There was a time where Airtec knew of every fire since you have to ship the unit back. Great for reading the data and creating the save reports. Too bad they can't still do that with the field replaceble cutters.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com