Teigen

Bully ownage!

What act?

So you are saying that there is absolutely zero merit to my comment?

Yes, that is what i am saying.

So I guess that means you were there, witnessed the event in person, know the kids involved, their history with one another, and can provide supporting facts to back it all up?

Otherwise, how can you say my comment has no merit?

The little bastards mom went on national TV in a show called Today Tonight and said that the her son got what he deserved.

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/ ( click 'Bully video goes viral', don't know how long it will be available. )

So yeah, your point has no merit.

once again, he got what he deserved based on what she saw in the video. By her own admission she was unaware of this type of behavior, admittedly stating it caught her off guard, she was shocked. She too, much like you people was not present when this happened, and probably has no idea what goes on on a daily basis at her sons school.

I stand by my original statement. There is no way of knowing who is the true bully in this video.

I think the little guy was most likely fighting back and defending himself. After all, what runt would actually try to bully someone twice his size?

What act?

So you are saying that there is absolutely zero merit to my comment?

Yes, that is what i am saying.

So I guess that means you were there, witnessed the event in person, know the kids involved, their history with one another, and can provide supporting facts to back it all up?

Otherwise, how can you say my comment has no merit?

The little bastards mom went on national TV in a show called Today Tonight and said that the her son got what he deserved.

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/ ( click 'Bully video goes viral', don't know how long it will be available. )

So yeah, your point has no merit.

once again, he got what he deserved based on what she saw in the video. By her own admission she was unaware of this type of behavior, admittedly stating it caught her off guard, she was shocked. She too, much like you people was not present when this happened, and probably has no idea what goes on on a daily basis at her sons school.

I stand by my original statement. There is no way of knowing who is the true bully in this video.

I think the little guy was most likely fighting back and defending himself. After all, what runt would actually try to bully someone twice his size?

oh yea, that's why his buddies took video and encouraged him.

stop trolling, it get's annoying. go play in SC then..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Fascinating.

From the interview with the mother:

Q: "Are you going to make him apologize to the other boy?"

A: "I'd like him to apologize, yes."

Sounds like a mother that is incapable of disciplining her own brat.
A parent in control would have said, "Yes, he will apologize."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

you people would make terrible lawyers..

We aren't acting as lawyers...we are acting as Jury. And the jury has spoken, little runt is guilty on all counts of bullying.

I don’t think he understands what a lawyer does.

Fascinating.

it's an interesting scenario, unlikely here, but simply another discussion point.

either way, either scenario postulates that someone is being bullied, they turn the other cheek for some time, and then they fight (or try to) back.

I think that personally and physically standing up to someone who is habitually bullying is necessary. I also think that standing up for someone else that can't do it on their own is also needed.

For his age group, the fat kid did amazingly well in terms of initial restraint. Clearly, he waited a bit too long to respond as he waited until he "lost it" a bit - better to respond while still in control of your emotions.

I'd expect an adult with that size advantage to show a better concept of doing the absolute minimum needed to diffuse the attacker. Unfortunately, too many children (of adult age) think that 'losing it' is admirable and macho rather than the weakness it really is.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I stand by my original statement.
--------
Which is still wrong

There is no way of knowing who is the true bully in this video.
-----------
Odds are the aggressive one

I think
----------
Which really hasn't been working for you so far

After all, what runt would actually try to bully someone twice his size?
-------
A stupid one. He probably spends his free time on internet forums arguing the wrong position even after being proven wrong
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

that. there was this guy in school that bullied me for YEARS. until i ended up on top of his chest, getting a hold on his ears and slamming his head on the floor until the little fuck saw stars. i was so angry he also got a good portion of my saliva in his face.

Who would you admire more?:

hypothetically

1 - Guy takes down the bully and subdues him without bloodshed or damage. Makes the bully feel completely helpless and then explains to the bully that he'll hurt him next time, and then even more the time after that unless the bully stops his behavior.

2 - Guy "loses it" and in a blind rage grabs the bully's ears and slams his head on the pavement again and again while spittle flies out of his mouth. And then brags about it.

If more is needed to make the point than just submission, maybe Guy #2 is sitting on the bully's chest and every time the bully tries to fight back, instead of pavement pounding and saliva wetting, he open hand slaps the bully's face to embarrass him and make him even more helpless.

'spittle' is a funny word

all that said, it can be REALLY hard to maintain control. I think it "should" be a point of pride to be able to maintain control, not lose it. Sad that a LOT of males (supposedly adult) think the opposite.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In today's society, is it a sign of weakness for the party being picked on to simply walk away without standing up for yourself?

It's a sign of strength to walk away at first. Later, the strength comes from HOW you choose to stand up when/if it continues......

In today's society, is it a sign of weakness for the party being picked on to simply walk away without standing up for yourself?

It's a sign of strength to walk away at first. Later, the strength comes from HOW you choose to stand up when/if it continues......

Why do people think that a bully will stop the bullying if you turn to walk away???:S
Newflash: He is a *BULLY*!!!
There is no Bully Honor Code that says he must stop because you choose not to fight.

I was the victim of bullying all through Jr & Sr High school.
I know how they operate.
I went through all the useless motions of reporting it to teachers, etc.
Unless you have a bodyguard at your side from the moment you leave home until the moment you
return, the only thing that is going to work is to unload on the bully with everything you have.
Bullys aren't bright enough to respect anything other than aggression directed back at them.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Boy, theres a shocker.

Bullys aren't bright enough to respect anything other than aggression directed back at them.

So what you are saying is two wrongs make a right?

that. there was this guy in school that bullied me for YEARS. until i ended up on top of his chest, getting a hold on his ears and slamming his head on the floor until the little fuck saw stars. i was so angry he also got a good portion of my saliva in his face.

Who would you admire more?:

hypothetically

1 - Guy takes down the bully and subdues him without bloodshed or damage. Makes the bully feel completely helpless and then explains to the bully that he'll hurt him next time, and then even more the time after that unless the bully stops his behavior.

2 - Guy "loses it" and in a blind rage grabs the bully's ears and slams his head on the pavement again and again while spittle flies out of his mouth. And then brags about it.

If more is needed to make the point than just submission, maybe Guy #2 is sitting on the bully's chest and every time the bully tries to fight back, instead of pavement pounding and saliva wetting, he open hand slaps the bully's face to embarrass him and make him even more helpless.

'spittle' is a funny word

all that said, it can be REALLY hard to maintain control. I think it "should" be a point of pride to be able to maintain control, not lose it. Sad that a LOT of males (supposedly adult) think the opposite.

you can think what you want, but you know what? i should of done this LOOOONG ago. you dont know what's been done to me by this guy; as i said, for YEARS.. i should of torn that assholes ears off or broke his skull, it was revenge long years needed! ;)

usually i walk away from stuff like that. before it happens. i dont think i ever got into a fistfight in my life. this guy, asked for it all during high school. when i was strong enough to face him, he got what he deserved..

edited to add: and i never bragged about it. but in the context of this thread i rather explained that nothing else seemed to work than a brutal attack that left with sore ears and a headache afterwards.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I don't find it the least bit amusing. But I love the fact that the punk ass spoiled little bully with his bigger friends around gets slammed and put in his place. Serves his little weinie ass right
--------------------------------------------------------

Made me sad & mad, at the same time [:/]

...sad thinking how often the bigger kid had to go through this ...:(

obviously it was one of the 1st times he finally acted back...no doubt his body slammin' ability would have spread through the bully ranks !

...mad at where the little asshole learned his entitlement to be such big asshole, so early >:(

I could imagine that over the years the victim got into trouble if he reacted because teachers would chastise with "You're bigger than they are". That would make him a safe target for scrawny punk. If it hadn't been on video, the larger kid would probably get blamed for the incident

you can think what you want, but you know what? i should of done this LOOOONG ago.

I don't think anything about the actions, they might very well have been the right response. AND, you are right about doing it long ago as you might not have needed such a dramatic response if it was confronted earlier. You example was just a very good example to exagerate (unfairly most likely) to make the comparison. I sorry it came across judgmental - it was, but not a severely as I'm sure you felt it.

I'm talking more about the victim's mindset when they finally choose to respond physically - not so much about the actual actions. Are they still in control and did they actually CHOOSE the moment to respond (this shows a bit of self respect)? or did they avoid the confrontation until they 'just couldn't take it anymore' and then responded out of mind and out of control (this response is so full of fear, IMO)?

nothing zen about it - HOW one reacts (when getting physical is the correct response) determines character.

So same question - which example shows the person you'd respect MORE (that doesn't mean the #2 guys response didn't warrant some level of appreciation) - just relatively speaking who would wish you were (if you had the ability).

Very Zen-little or no real world applicability for school aged children, but very zen

applicability -

1st 2 or 3 confrontations, you walk away

after it doesn't stop - you deliberately plan a response that will hurt the bully enough that he stops - but no more than that - knock him down again and again - make HIM walk away

or would you rather teach your kid to just take abuse until he finally cracks and nearly kills the other kid?

see? I don't think you really tried to understand what I was saying and opted for an easy and flip response

Edit: to your point though, sometimes the bully has a bit of fighting skill and you can't moderate you response - you have to put in a good showing, preferably win, but it has to make a serious impression to stop the behavior....

Boy, theres a shocker.

booyah

And a win with the edit-that was what I remembered about being bullied. Most times the bully was a superior fighter so if I could, i won so completely that he was scared to dance again. People thinking you're a bit crazy is a good deterrent.