ECVZZ

Rigging prices in your area?

There is less expensive rigging in SoCal as well.

Amazing...That's what the thread was started about in the first place, as an inquiry about pricing. Seems most people got that to begin with.

Nobody was "winging" about anything JP. I do take exception to being talked down to though.

Last time I checked a business could set whatever pricing they wished.

And where have you seen me say otherwise? You're off base here JP. See my previous post...I don't expect anyone to change their pricing, but that doesn't mean I have to pay it.

Several people have taken the time to suggest well qualified, less expensive riggers in the area, and I appreciate that. That's where I'll be doing business in the future.

Oh yeah. Slack valley is thataway.

Uh huh, I know. That's where you were working when I met you.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

I dare you to find a SoCal packer that will pay for your repack, much less your shit for $5 to $6.

You can go argue that in the other thread all you want. Personally, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

I do take exception to being talked down to though.

Didn't mean it that way, and I don't think Sparky did either.

Uh huh, I know. That's where you were working when I met you.

Naw that was just Slackertown............. I live in Slack Valley.

:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

wow, i smell a little tension in the air!

ya' know, it didn't cost me anything to pack my own reserve. i'm not a rigger, but it looks good to me.;)

I think what you smell is hair, from someone getting a case of the "red ass".;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

When we opened our DZ, Riggers were in short supply. A rigger that we occasionally hired from out of province charged about $50 CDN and some of my regulars were paying up to $100 if our rigger was unavailable. That was very wrong. As soon as I got my ticket, I started charging $40 (about $32.50 US) because a monoploy and a jumper desperate for a repack is no reason to screw them for extra money.

I get pretty overloaded at the start of the season being the only game at the DZ, and most admit I charge too little but I think I owe it to them as they help out alot at the DZ.

Tim

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

ah yes the proverbial "getting screwed".when the first square reserve was introduced(1978,the safety flyer)it was a requirement to have a ram air riggers certificate(issued thru para flite and the uspa).we heard several reports of riggers with the ram air certificate charging as much as double the going rate for a repack simply because they could. in at least one instance this price gouging lead to a jumper NOT deploying his reserve due to the exhorbitant cost of repacking.

one thing I have discovered to focus on, is the rigger himself. Talk to a few if you have the option. I had used a guy in Europe once who packed my reserve like shit; dare I say dangerously like shit that is. This info was passed onto me by the rigger I use here in the US when it was time for the next repack. He took the time to show me what was 'dicey' about the last repack and what his procudure was for correcting the problems that were previously packed. My rigger here in California I consider, my rigger, now.

I used to think the prices were high until I watched my rigger. Then I started tipping him as I thought he was charging too little.

Now as a rigger in the Washington DC area I charge $50 for sport rigs and $50-$75 for pilot rigs. I will do some "extras" as needed, and charge for others.

However consider some things:
I spent a few thousand to get my training.
I spent about a thousand to get my sewing machines and other equipment.
I am expected to have all necessary parts and stuff on hand at any time (even obscure items for orphaned canopies on a Friday night). (some of my customers "want well".)
I travel every other year to PIA to keep up with current training.
When faced with a rig issue for which I am unsure, I travel to one of two "local" experts (only 2-6 hours on the road) to get a second opinion and/or help.
I spend 1/2-1 hour with each customer the first time to ensure that they know how to pre-flight, don, and deploy their rig. And then review it at any time.
I spend ~2-3 hours doing a first-time inspection and 1 hour (min) when I get rigs back.

The HOURLY rate for this work ranges between ~$3-20 depending on what the job takes. (I take the safety of your life seriously.)

If the guy is trying to live off his rigging, expect that his HOURLY rate will have to be higher (they will make that happen one way or another) and will very much have to do with the local cost of living, and will definately relate to supply and demand.

If/when the repack cycle goes up, expect to see rates go up as well. Is it going to take any more work, no... simply that I expect riggers to use it as a reason to bring the cost of their work more in line with the value of their work.

If you get to know your rigger, trust his work (after seeing what he does and how he does it), and value your life then the cost should be a non issue. If he is gouging you for the work you see, then that plays into the trust issue. Once I saw my riggers work, I decided that it was worth more than what he was charging.

Just my $.05 (long winded 2 cents worth)

J Wine
Sr Rigger - back/seat/chest
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...