d_squared431

This is just wrong!

Wow ... Why? ... I do not understand.

Isn't there an obesity problem in society? Doesn't having a basketball hoop have a chance in promoting people to be active, to play sports to possibly burn some calories? Why is the government seizing basketball hoops? The people behind these seizures should be ashamed of their behavior. What's next? Seizing baseball bats, hockey sticks and golf clubs because they could be used as weapons? :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I think these basketball hoops seizures are even more severe, but earlier this year this was a problem in a suburb of Montreal where they wanted to ban street hockey. I could not believe it when I heard this. I grew up playing street hockey (we played all year long, winter and summer) and yes I actually grew up in this very same suburb that all of a sudden wanted to ban street hockey. It's not like we are talking about playing on a busy street. We played on quiet residential streets. When a car came by someone yelled out CAR!!!, we stopped, moved the nets, let the car pass and then picked up where we left off. Imagine, trying to ban hockey in Canada? This is just like trying to ban baseball or basketball in the USA. Why? We should be encourage kids (actually encouraging everyone) to be more active. We should NOT be taking sports away from them. Our politicians (Federal, State/Provincial and Municipal) are out of control.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20100324/montreal_hockey_100324/

It sure is wrong. Those people should not have a basketball court set up on a public street.

It as a cul de sac and that pole had been there for decades.

Here is the full length story. http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/BL/20110326/NEWS02/103260346/0/ENTERTAINMENT1501/Hoop-screams-Couple-protests-pole-s-removal?odyssey=nav|head

This no matter how you look at it is just wrong. There was a much better way the city could have handled this than the way they did.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

This cul-de-sac is unusual in that is has three enlarged areas suitable for basketball hoops:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hilldale+court,+claymont+de&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=65.81231,62.226563&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hilldale+Ct,+Claymont,+New+Castle,+Delaware+19703&ll=39.808276,-75.474004&spn=0.003989,0.003809&t=h&z=18
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The hoop issue is probably, and the street hockey issue DEFINITELY is a liability issue for the city. The first time a kid gets run over chasing down a basketball or because they happened to be playing goalie facing away from an oncoming car, the family of the deceased will sue the crap out of the city for not having an ordinance that prohibited such an activity. And, in today's society, they'll win.

We as skydivers know better than any subset of America that we live in a litigious society. Until we can convince our lawmakers that some kind of tort form is necessary, the problem will only get worse.

Elvisio "gonna need a waiver to walk down the street soon" Rodriguez

It sure is wrong. Those people should not have a basketball court set up on a public street.

It as a cul de sac and that pole had been there for decades.

Here is the full length story. http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/BL/20110326/NEWS02/103260346/0/ENTERTAINMENT1501/Hoop-screams-Couple-protests-pole-s-removal?odyssey=nav|head

This no matter how you look at it is just wrong. There was a much better way the city could have handled this than the way they did.

And how did the city handle it? You only got to see when it came to a head.

I am familiar with the story. I am close enough that it has been on the local news. I am mostly just trying to get a rise out of you since I vaguely remember you having a problem with someone in your neighborhood speeding past your child playing in the street.

With that being said, maybe it is a crap law but it is a law. I suspect it is one of those laws only enforced when someone complains. Seems that way from the story. Well someone complained. Don’t like the law change it.

As far as how it was handled, the day the hoop came down was not the first day these people were told the poles had to be removed. They sat on their asses with righteous indignation as their only plan to prevent the removal unless you count the pole sitting phase of the plan.

The demon here is the 86 year old inductee to the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame for starting and running a variety of youth sports leagues throughout his life. Obviously he hates children. How dare he get tired of kids from outside the neighborhood blocking the street and cursing him every time he wanted to use the street to drive his car? The bastard.
If only the parents had told their kids it was okay to play in the street but yield to traffic maybe it wouldn’t have come to this.

So then why were only certain hopes removed, if one comes down, they all come down. Who gets to decide where and when to enforce the rules. If they stand on the"its the law" defence i would go to every wealthy neighborhood and insist that all the hopes there be takin down too. people with money tend to get more say with the powers that be so maybe they can get this thing straightened out!>:(>:(

Wait , I pull what first?

So then why were only certain hopes removed, if one comes down, they all come down. Who gets to decide where and when to enforce the rules. If they stand on the"its the law" defence i would go to every wealthy neighborhood and insist that all the hopes there be takin down too. people with money tend to get more say with the powers that be so maybe they can get this thing straightened out!>:(>:(

If you think I am going to defend inconsistent enforcement you are wrong. It is a pet peeve of mine. I missed the part of the story that stated wealthy neighborhoods were not targeted though. My understanding is they went after the ones they had complaints for.
Believe me I am not Dudley Do-Right. Give me the right subject and you will hear me bitch just as loud. I’ll probably be just as wrong.

sorry i didnt explain to well, if i was the guy that lost the hope thats been there for 60 years id go driving around looking for important peoples homes that have hoops and file complaints to see how quick they pull those down. if its the law then thats fine, but i still feel the officer didnt handle the situation well. Lying to them was just wrong and at the least she should offer an appology. Im not anti law enforcement, I just think that sometimes everone needs to use their heads.
Wait , I pull what first?

sorry i didnt explain to well, if i was the guy that lost the hope thats been there for 60 years id go driving around looking for important peoples homes that have hoops and file complaints to see how quick they pull those down. if its the law then thats fine, but i still feel the officer didnt handle the situation well. Lying to them was just wrong and at the least she should offer an appology. Im not anti law enforcement, I just think that sometimes everone needs to use their heads.

Yes, it is a crappy situation for the police and the Deldot workers to be in. They have to enforce a ruling they may not even agree with. If there was never any intention of letting them keep the hoop they should have just said so. If the homeowners had taken it down on their own they would have been able to keep it I’m sure.

60 years, I don’t think that neighborhood has been there for 60 years.

You can thank the current SCOTUS for this shit. They ruled that you can only own something as long as it's convenient for the state to allow you to own it. Eminent domain trumps all unless or until the constitution is amended. Not even the condemnation of one of the justices own houses was enough to demonstrate that they went too far.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

This just out right pisses me off >:(

Evidently, this is the newest in youth crime sprees across urban & suburbia USA...shooting hoops >:(

A neighbor recently complained to the boys in blue, about disturbing the peace & disorderly conduct, because the sounds of kids laughing (..." after a long quiet winter"... yah, those were her words), & the sounds of bouncing a basketball, shooting hoops in THEIR driveway...irritated her ! >:(

The young boys were asked to keep it down, so they didn't have to be cited [:/]

It was 5:00 pm. on a Friday night !

I suppose they were just getting their calisthenics in, before a night of home invasions & carjacking ;)

Our amendment rights are being trompled..next they'll demand our land, homes, kids, business, yadayada ...oh yea, that's called taxes :$

A recent bill is up for passing to tax the mileage we put on our cars :S

Too much power to the system, & not enough rights upheld by the (We The People) Government >:(

Question: the lying chick in the gray sweats & professional 'up do'...newest in law enforcement uniforms...or was she working undercover ? :P

I do not think they should have taken or lied to the property owners in that video, however it was pretty apparent that the pole and hoop were in a public ROW.

It should have been placed 1' behind the walk and then the officials/cops would have to trespass in order to touch it.

If that are was unincorporated when the pole was put up, the city would have had to accept it as is, they could not then lawfully pass an ordinance against it.

Agreed Warped ;)

Any adjustments, usage, or additions to property are grandfathered in; if after 10 years of non challenged, within Federal & most state real estate laws.

It would stand to reason if they were placed on public city easements; which we are required to pay taxes & maintain, & not disputed over 60 years...it's hard to comprehend, why now ?! :S

You'd think it to be a civil matter...
unless an ordinance was newly passed & in effect [:/]

I think I was more upset at the chick telling them they couldn't speak & had to go in the house...

& the actions were taken, despite the fact the family officially opposed the notice of decision, & were not responded to prior to the action !

I wonder how much they had to pay for towing, city worker's OT, & impound fees...to get their pole back !

That hoop wasn't bothering anyone and obviously added to the neighborhood. That was asinine. And the woman who lied just has no integrity. If she had the moral and legal right / obligation, she didn't have to lie. She chose to.

That community needs a new government, and at least one less law enforcment officer. If that's the best thing to do with his time...
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Then move the post to SC where it should have been in the first place.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

If I ever forget what it was like to be a kid playing outside and if I ever start phoning the cops whining about the children playing outside. Please come get me, haul me away and end it then and there. If I ever become one of these whiners who complains when children play, I do not deserve to live as I will cease being a rational human (LOL some might question if I am rational now, but that's another can or worms :ph34r:).