airtwardo

Best & Worst ~ concerts you've attended?

Best: Rolling Stones

Worst: I try not to go to bad concerts.

I suppose I should also list Cream (1967) as equal best but it wasn't really a concert, they played my college's end of year ball.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Best Ever: Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra performing the full choral of Beethoven's #9.

Best Rock: Iron Maiden. Honourable Mention: Rolling Stones.

Best Jazz: Pat Metheny Group.

Best Indie: Swimming Pool Q's

Best Surprise Rockers That Kicked Serious Ass: America
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Best Surprise Rockers That Kicked Serious Ass: America

That was the concert you wanted to take a date to. Mellow rock music, nice songs, the girl would snuggle right up to you.:)
Another show we liked? Vskydiver and I saw Huey Lewis and the News back in the 80s when we were first married. It was right at the peak of his popularity and they sounded great. We loved that show. I loved hanging out with V. B|

I've only seen Clapton one time, and he was fresh out of rehab. It was so-so.

If it was at the Paramount I was there too.

Best: Muddy Waters at the old Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver. Pine Top Perkins on piano was just icing on the cake.
Hon mention: Yes with the Vancouver Philharmonic at the QE theatre.
Worst: Ozzy passed out during the third song at GM place in Vancouver, 1995.

@ Ryoder: Pat is fabulous! Talk about sonic transendentalism. I agree - major thumbs up!

@ John: America, surprisingly, blew me away! The whole place was dancing and partying, really getting down. And that was just "Sister Golden Hair"!!!!
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Best - Robin Trower, Frank Zappa, Rod Stewart(...yes)

Worst - Van Halen

My girl friend at the time made me take her to see Rod Stewart in the early 80s. I really like him in the 70s, but couldn't stand him after he started doing the pop/disco thing...he rocked the house with everything from Maggie May to Stay With Me. Many older people walked out long before the show ended because he was rockin out so hard.

Saw Van Halen when they first came on the scene, they sucked! - Black Sabbath (w/o Ozzy) opened for them and they were outstanding.

Saw Head East and they were pretty good - after their show, the gave out free tickets to see a nothing band later that evening...that was Molly Hatchet!

Best: Dark Side of the Moon at Summerfest- Roger Waters/Pink Floyd 2007.
Or, Ani DiFranco at WI Union Theater 2008.
BB King was pretty freaking awesome too, that had to be in like 2002, ages ago.. Locally, Natty Nation (reggae) is always awesome.. I might get flamed for this, but I have seen Atmosphere three or four times live and they are definitely near the top of my list though rap and hip hop are not huge for me... they are pretty unique and amazing live.

Worst: The BoDeans in December 2008 'cause everyone there was falling over drunk and I just wanted to smack them all, and there was no sense of personal space. I wound up hunching my pregnant self on the floor, and had a beer spilled on me to top off the night. Ugh.

And, hmm.. Bob Dylan probably like 2005ish- in between or some of each? He was a little out of it and didn't seem in tip top shape, but just seeing Bob Dylan live, I am not gonna complain!

Dave Matthews Band was good but I wish I'd imbibed a bit less and recalled a bit more- so that's entirely my own fault! Same goes for 311. Not reflecting on the concert so much as my own shenanigans at the time...
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Hard to say which was the best. Saw near every band that was touring during the 70's. One of the stand outs was Nektar (Remember the Future tour), Jethro Tull would be another.
Worst would have to be Charlie Daniels last time I saw him in the 90's. You just can't change the words to Long Hair Country Boy and expect folks not to boo>:(

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Best:
Little Feat at some old theater in Washington, DC. It was the first and only show I've been to where every single person in the place stood up and boogied from the first note to the last note of the show, I mean everyone. Best vibe ever.

Best:
Little Feat at some old theater in Washington, DC. It was the first and only show I've been to where every single person in the place stood up and boogied from the first note to the last note of the show, I mean everyone. Best vibe ever.

Some of the best I've ever seen also. They rock the place. Saw them recently (2 years ago?) with Shaun Murphy and walked out. It was just bad. I know she isn’t with the band any more. I’ll have to give them a try again.

I'm an idiot. Wonder why I didn't remember this before.
THere was this little concert in upstate New York in summer of 69.
"and its 1,2.3 what are we fightin for, don't know and I don't give a dam."
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Saw two concerts in Perth Australia in 81

Rick Steele and the Hot Biscuit Band (I'm sure you Aussies have heard of him.) They kicked out some killer blues. The woman I was with knew the band and got us back stage passes. I traded about a half ounce of weed from the Philippines for a huge hunk of Hash with one of the band members. It was a smoke out back stage.

The second concert was some guy named Adam Ant. Same woman talked me into this one. I heard some of his music before going. Sucked just as bad live as it did on cassette tape.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Best: Tough category as I've been to a lot of them. My first Dead show. Also notable: the Ramones, Rollilng Stones.

Underrated: Brian Adams, he put on a really, really good show.

Worst: Dylan in 1988. His voice was so awful I couldn't stand it. Didn't help that the acoustics in the Arena were really bad. Runner-up: ZZ Topp. Really unimaginative, might as well have stayed at home and listened to their disc.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Underrated: Brian Adams, he put on a really, really good show.

I like those surprising shows. I went to a venue to see Wilco at the Bumbershoot festival several years ago and showed up early enough that I caught Sheryl Crow before Wilco. Totally surprised me - I've always been kind of neutral about her, but she really brought a lot of energy to the stage.

For me, naming the "best" is really difficult because I've seen so many different performers in so many different genres in so many different kinds of venues and they've all been memorable. I'd say some of the "best" were the bonus shows or bonus performers - being in a smallish club in Seattle to see Neil Finn (an amazing performer in his own right) and having Eddie Vedder come out for a few songs with his old buddy. Or really, any "friend of/side project of" Pearl Jam show in Seattle was often a chance to see most or all of the band for at least a few songs. B| Definitely lost track of how many of those I saw.

Worst would have to be bands that were way past their prime and/or trying to make comebacks that they weren't ready for. I've seen many bands that have been around for FOREVER and still put on amazing shows (Earth, Wind, and Fire was one that I particularly remember as being phenomenal, even in 2004). But Cheap Trick should not have attempted a comeback (here's a hint: making things louder does not cover up for the fact that you guys sound like you haven't played together in years). And my very first concert (that I went to on my own, anyway) in 1985 was the Beach Boys ... who lip-synched. [:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I saw him in 1988 - far enough post-rehab that it was a great performance. Touring with Mark Knopfler, who's no slacker himself.

Speaking of rehab concerts - I managed to catch Stone Temple Pilots in 1996 just before Scott Weiland got so unreliable that they couldn't ever finish a tour. Really enjoyed that performance.

Got burned by Oasis's sibling meltdown that same year, though - drove 3 hours from Durham to Charlotte only to find out the show had been canceled... apparently because the boys were fighting. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I saw him in 1988 - far enough post-rehab that it was a great performance. Touring with Mark Knopfler, who's no slacker himself.

Speaking of rehab concerts - I managed to catch Stone Temple Pilots in 1996 just before Scott Weiland got so unreliable that they couldn't ever finish a tour. Really enjoyed that performance.

Got burned by Oasis's sibling meltdown that same year, though - drove 3 hours from Durham to Charlotte only to find out the show had been canceled... apparently because the boys were fighting. :D

Saw Clapton with Roger Waters on the The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking tour. I think Roger is brilliant and you add Clapton to the mix in a 3000 seat theater and it was a damn good show.