kkeenan

Life Coach

WTF. I am trying to keep from being amazed by the increasing gullibility of humanity, but this is one modern phenomenon that really cracks me up. How much extra disposable income must one have in order to spend money paying someone to sort out their life? It it further amazes me that people have the nads to put themselves up as the ones to collect money for same. There have always been con artists of all sorts throughout history, and there has never been a shortage of marks for them to scam. So I guess this is just the current revision of the species. Reading the advice column of one of our skydiving colleagues published in a well-known skydiving publication has pushed me to express my thoughts.

I suppose its a sign of old age that I feel compelled to comment on life's anomalies. With respect to this one, all I can say is WTF.

Kevin K.

I was going through a hard time a few years back and my mom suggested getting a life coach, I immediately snapped "A WHAT!?" and she said "you know...someone that will help you organize your life out and give you a clear head" and then I went on to laugh and whole heartedly believe if I can't figure out my life, no one else can.
some sort of crazy liquor cheeseburger party

C'mon, now. All you need to do is spend a couple days reading Bonfire posts to realize how many people need help!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

C'mon, now. All you need to do is spend a couple days reading Bonfire posts to realize how many people need help!

Agreed.
In fact someone comes to mind who could use this service.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Agreed.

I know. That Krisanne chick needs to get some perspective.
Remster

Agreed.

Self-deprecating humor, nice. ;)

Agreed.

I know. That Krisanne chick needs to get some perspective.

I know, right? I need a life coach to help me understand how I have managed to be happy even though I'm above a size 8. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

often it is an outgoing, well intended ,optimistic sort of person, who Self Assumes the job/role/title.. of life coach...

it's ok as long as they don't become overamped about it, towards, as you say,, 'the gullible'...
We live in "the age of the entrepreneur" and that can lead in all sorts of directions.
Not much different than the fortune tellers of old, on whose advice ,
MANY people based their lives decisions and activities...:S

Some folks might want that sorta person in their lives.. Not everyone is top notch, when it comes to steering their lives in a good, safe and healthy direction....As for Paying for it??? i dunno, i think that is a bit extravagant...Why?? so you can brag to others.. " i have a life coach now..."...:o
Can't our friends and Family be our life coaches,, with Nothing asked for in return, except similar support and advice when THEY need it???:|

there was a song a few decades back with the great lyrics...

" And he can't even run his Own life":|
"i'll be Damned if he'll run Mine!!!.. ;)

Don't be tooo harsh on them.. either the coach OR the coachee...

i say we go after !!! all the skydiving Experts.. who command the big bucks!!!
for simply sharing what others might have taught THEM ;)
not much difference is there??? hahahahahah

jmy in rochester

... someone comes to mind who could use this service.:ph34r:

I'm sure everyone who reads BF regularly has different ideas who this may be. However I'll bet that the majority are thinking of the same person. :S

No, Kev, I was thinking that you are the perfect candidate. Need coaching, but not totally a lost case. :P

Life is not easy for everyone to figure out. Not everyone's life is as perfect and easy flowing. Sometimes people need assistance in getting the clarity that they desire and using a coach can help people do that.

There is nothing wrong with people needing assistance and there is nothing wrong with people that provide that assistance getting paid for it. There is a need for them otherwise the profession would not exist to the extent that it does.

And yes, I know a few life coaches and people that have utilized the services of a coach. The people that have used one were able to get clarity and direction much easier with the assistance of a coach.

There are some coaches that are pretty much worthless and/or are scammers (as with any profession out there) but that does not mean that all coaches are scammers. And there are several people out there that call themselves life coaches but have never been trained. Are they still good? Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Also, some people actually want to be happy and move forward in their life, and when they are surrounded by negative people that are stuck (especially in the past), they will generally need to find somone outside of that circle to help them get where they want to be. That is when someone, at times, will use a coach to help them.

Could they do it on their own? Sure. But, its the same thing with a skydiving coach. Do poeple really need to pay someone to coach you in skydiving? No. They can build their skills on their own. But if they want to improve their skills quicker and more effiecntly they hire a coach.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

Meh... Therapists get official degrees/phd's to "sort people's lives"... Not hard to see why there would be a market for people wanting to do this with a more "hands-on" (if not accredited) approach.

Who cares if it sounds lame and/or unnecessary (and it does!)... If it works, great! I don't want to push this into SC, but some people ask "God" for help - again, if it works for them, great :)

ETA - As for the whole notion of "who are you to be a life-coach"... I think it's possible to be a good teacher/adviser without necessarily following that sound advice yourself...

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

We were given a few sessions with a "professional coach" when I started out as chief resident - more of a "here are ways to manage people, manage yourself, keep yourself sane, and not kill anyone in the process". I found them moderately useful, having not been in the situation before.

As far as life coaching, if someone is willing to pay someone to hold them accountable in their lives, in a era when personal accountability is SO lacking....so be it.