BillyVance

Dishwasher Q

Lately I have been noticing a funny smell emanating from the dishwasher. It's a KitchenAid model that is so quiet I can stand right next to it and not even feel it running. Anyway, the smell seems to indicate a belt rubbing the wrong way or something and I'm assuming that it has a belt. I can't find the manual for it. It's still working fine, but I will still need to get it checked out anyway. I installed it myself, so I figure a belt isn't hard to replace, but getting the damn unit out of the cabinet space is the pain in the ass part. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Before you pull it out, download a copy of the owner's manual from this here hazy place called the webernet or some such. That way when you have it out you will know what you are looking at.

You know what it looked like 3 or 8 years ago when you put it in, and probably, the manual is available now. Oh, and if it turns out to be something you still can't figure out, you will save yourself a pretty penny, because of the labor of pulling and replacing it (so the repairman doesn't charge you for that bit of labor)

Check in the back of the space and see if what you are smelling is the manual burning. ;)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Lately I have been noticing a funny smell emanating from the dishwasher. It's a KitchenAid model that is so quiet I can stand right next to it and not even feel it running.

Okay, when everyone quits making fun of our favorite deaf guy, try this website, Billy. It's got great exploded diagrams, wiring schematics, parts lists and good prices. It's my go-to site for appliance repairs.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com

Ya gotta admit, we miss Lee around here....

You can say THAT again. [:/]

John, thanks for that link. That should help. :)
When I said it was quiet, it damn well is, compared to the last one I had. Fuck, I could actually hear the damned thing all the way to the living room and if I stood at the far end of the dining room I could feel it running. It was that bad. This KitchenAid model is the best I've ever had, and I found it in a clearance room at Sears for $350, a huge mark-down from its $800+ retail price. Practically brand new. The original buyer returned it for some reason.

I've sat in some cars that ran so smoothly I didn't realize it was running, and tried to start it. :S I have to put my hand on the counter above the dishwasher or on the dishwasher itself to tell if its on or not.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Considering you installed it yourself, you might want to go to the wirenuts you installed first. Especially if you used "used" wirenuts from the last unit. The cheap way to go and a sure way to burn down your house. This can easily create "arching" of the circuit wire to the unit wire. Creates a "funny"smell ( just before the fire department shows up ). Yes, I'm an electrician ( 25 yrs ).
Life is short ... jump often.

Hi BV

I iinstalled my SO's dishwasher my self got it about 95% flush with the counter top. Tried to get it exactly right[:/]

It's still sticking out a little bit. But it only looks bad doesn't smell like burn't rubber yet, then its time for the sawsall.[:/]

Tim the tool man style;)

Granite counter tops are way over rated:P

One Jump Wonder

I've sat in some cars that ran so smoothly I didn't realize it was running, and tried to start it. :S

If only they had a guage that would show if the engine was turning...

I believe I will invent one, and call it... a skiometer!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message